Home
Join

7 Replies

• could it be that the cell format is set to number somehow?

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Formatting seems to be OK - all the cells in the column are set to General. Some cells in this column have the correct value while others don't. Strange that only some cells in 1 column are affected, the other 14 columns are all correct.  Any other thoughts?

• what if one of your 2000 users resaves it? does the 2003 user open it correctly from the resave?

• This is going to sound odd, but I have seen this before.  Highlight the column in the spreadsheet, change the format to "Special", and then select the zip format.

The General format was not converting all characters to text for the Office 2000 version.

• Sorry for the delay replying - I have been on vacation.

Lynne, I tried the zip format but it only added leading zero's to the incorrect fields.

Kimberlin, it does not make any difference if a 2000 user resaves the file.

Any other suggestions welcome, thank you.

• Hmmm ...

One more shot at this one for me because I have already setup a test scenario and didn't receive the results you describe (filtering of the alphas).

1.  When you open your table in Design mode, are you using Text as the data type or something different?  If text, ensure the size is large enough to store the data.

2.  Since the Access report is calling the queries, does it (the report) also perform any calculations with the data?  If the report is used simply to total the data records, maybe it would be easier to query the data directly and then export it into a spreadsheet.  Excel would then control the computations.

Also, you mentioned a 'strange error'.  Is there an actual error message displayed and/or just invalid displayed?  Any rules for NULL values?  I'm hoping something will trigger because it's a bit difficult not seeing what you do.       

• Like Access 2000 is not compatible with Access 2003, the like with Excel 2000 to Excel 2003.

So you're trying to interpret access 2000 to Excel 2003, it isn't going to work.

Viewing is one thing writing, which you are is another.

Now there is a way to install both excel and access 2000 on a machine with Office 2k3.

After you install both if you choose to, you can like URL's have certain programs open in different versions.

So create a shortcut to the access prog and tell excel 2000 to open with that access prog.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/218861/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828956/

I think if you research this more you can creatre a macro that does this as well, probably the better alternative.

Worst case add VPC or give them TS access to the server running the prog. They don't have admin access so no big deal.

Read these next...

• Snap! Maggie malware, Bring Your Own Driver, Win11 remote desktop issues, & more

Snap! Maggie malware, Bring Your Own Driver, Win11 remote desktop issues, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Thursday, October 6, 2022. If we roll back the calendar 39 years to 1983, today is the day that it went public after recording revenues of $12.8 million for the previous 12 months. It was over a de...

• What does your IT team use for password management?

What does your IT team use for password management?

Security

I use BitWarden for my own personal password management and it's fantastic. In the past, I've used a handful of different password managers in the workplace, including KeePass v2​, Secret Server​, LastPass​, and even just *cough* Excel.... 🥸Currently, we'...

• Upgrade Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2019

Upgrade Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2019

Collaboration

As the  Exchange 2013 is going to be end of life in April 2023, we will be upgrading / migrating our current setup to Exchange 2019.We are currently using MS Exchange 2013 Standard CU23 with Latest SU. We have 2 CAS servers in NLB and 4 Mailbox servers in...

• Spark! Pro series - 6th October 2022

Spark! Pro series - 6th October 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Today in History: 1866 -  The Reno brothers carry out the first train robbery in U.S. history On October 6, 1866, the brothers John and Simeon Reno stage the first train robbery in American history, making off with $13,000 from an Ohio and Mississ...

• IT Site -Network Survey Tools

IT Site -Network Survey Tools

Software

Hello,Need advice on any free forms or software to use to assist in doing IT site surveys of small business 50 users max with 4 different locations.Any not so expensive software that you have used let me know. We will be going onsite to each site first ti...