Home
Join

175 Replies

• Keep the lights off unless we are in there. My reasoning (not really sound) is that it generates less heat. Given we have fluorescent lighting doesn't really affect the temp but just something that has sat with me for years.

Spice (39) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Lights off unless there is a need for lights, Reduces heat and power requirements (also, the cost!)

I've always been taught that server rooms are places for servers, not people. We have things like ILO, RDP and other tools to access the servers. Access to a server room is in exception and only if there is really a need to do so.

Spice (61) flagReport
  • I personally leave the lights off unless you need to go in there (its a waste of electricity).  With remote access so easy with a modern server I really need to go in there unless there is a hardware failure.

If anything goes wrong then your monitoring software will normally let you know, or your end users depending what is having the issue...

Spice (7) flagReport
  • I'm in and out of there for daily/weekly tape backups.  (ugh!)  There are also times that I have to work at the actual console when Telnet won't cut it. 

I do agree though - the lights are going out.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Lights off. Plan on getting some LED lighting I can leave on all the time for mood lighting. The only time I go into the server room is to swap out the archive drive.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Our server lights our attached to our office so usually on

Spice (1) flagReport
  • We usually leave the lights on. It helps with the security camera that is in there. 

Spice (9) flagReport
  • security camera's should be IR [ infra red ] and therefore B/W display, and they do not need external lighting, lights on help the bad guys too ??

if you are not in a room, lights out

it all costs, and if you add the watts for each tube / bulb, it quickly gets to be over 1000w, which = 1 kWh 1000 watts per hour, which is what electricity is paid in

so leave 1kW of lighting on 24/7 365 = 61320 units bought, and at 10p per unit / kW is over £6000 per year, even a single 100w bulb on all year will cost over £600 at that 10p rate

Spice (13) flagReport
  • Lights off.

Do not want any extra heat sources.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Lights off. Otherwise its just a waste of electricity.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • But what if my server is afraid of the dark... well I suppose he has the SAN to protect him haha

Spice (20) flagReport
  • Lights out and motion sensor switches. Besides, the pretty blinking lights look better in the dark :)

Spice (55) flagReport
  • Lights off, but for safety/security one florance is permanently on. 

• The server room is actually a data center 30 miles up the highway, my guess is that the lights are on all the time there and we don't have much control over the lights in that room/area.

Most other places I worked at the server room lights were integrated with the main office lights, they stayed on during business hours, but were off in the evening.

• Partially on. Basically we have LED light at the server room entrance door (also where the power switch located) which never off. This make easy when enter/exit the room.

The light at the rest of the area of the server room is off.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • We keep them off unless we are in there. We don't have to go in too often, but for the vast majority of the time we keep them off. We don't have any specific reasoning, I just always turn the lights off when I leave a room.

• Lights are off in the server room. Most of the work done on the servers are done via rdp or vnc.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Glass wall into the server room, lights out unless changing a tape on an ancient UNIX system that will only back up locally. The lights out shows any warning lights quickly for some of our less integrated systems. 

• Why leave it on as we can do our part to save mother earth from all the electricity we are using!

Personal i go in and out of server room very often our usual practice is to power it off when leaving the room.

Unless running a data center where they are staff inside on duty. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Lights on :-)

Note... If I turned them off about 20 people would be in the dark as the stupid people who built the server room didn't give it independent lighting!

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Motion sensor activated - best of both

Spice (10) flagReport
  • Our server room lights are on a motion sensor, so when you open the door they turn on. Just like a fridge...

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Off - it isn't too taxing to flick the switch if I need to go in there!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • only 1 energy saver light is always on...

• On.. wait.. this isnt the thread I was looking for... totally misleading thread heading..  :-D

Spice (7) flagReport
  • Lights ON, we are not seated in the Data Center. It is not workstation to sit inside do your administration activity.

We have placed Motion based cameras & temperature, humidity & door censors are placed. A light will clearly help us to understand whats happening inside the Data Center - notifications, alerts. Notifiers & video consoles are placed to face camera so that we can have an eye with out entering the Data Center.

• Light off if no one is home and no glowing monitors.  Act as if you had to pay the power bill!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • But are you sure they turn off when you shut the door? haha

• Which OS are you using that is afraid of the dark?

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I keep them on, because its instinct for people to shut them off as they walk out, for whatever reason.

This lets me know that someone else has been in the room and I am extra careful to look for things changed.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Lights off, personally, but we have those new motion activated, 'follow me' lights, so they are on before I'm even at the console.

• Depends on whoever was last in the room... switch is right by the door. I normally turn them off. Other folks aren't always so consistent.

• Yes!  Brian - If the lights are off and after I get over the shock - I march around looking for an explaination. 

• We turn ours off.

• Lisa Lyons wrote:

Lights off, personally, but we have those new motion activated, 'follow me' lights, so they are on before I'm even at the console.

Same here, we have the lights on a motion switch so they automatically turn off after we leave, and turn on when we enter the room.

• The lighting in our server room will automatically turn off after about 15 minutes. 

• Lights off.

Momma didn't raise, someone born in a barn!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I work in a very small shop and to get to my office, I have to go through the "server room"  so the lights are on all the time.

• Save the planet, turn them off.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I like the lights off when I"m not in there. 

We have camera's in our DC and if someone comes in first thing they do is turn on lights. Screen goes from Night vision mode, to normal light mode and we can easily tell when someone is in. 

Plus it's pretty and looks like xmass when the lights are all off. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • AmberMcN wrote:

I'm in and out of there for daily/weekly tape backups.  (ugh!)  There are also times that I have to work at the actual console when Telnet won't cut it. 

Do you not have a auto tape loader? unless you actually take daily/weeklys off sites it's a great help. I only took monthly/yearly off site when I did tapes.. I've ditches tapes for harddrives a long time ago and now I don't have to take any off site (one NAS syncs to another over Fiber to an off site location).

• Lights off, I only go into the server room once or twice a week to check and make sure that there is nothing that has moved or changed.  I really need to get a security camera in to the room, but its key locked so I have no had a great reason.  

I have a window in the server room, so to be honest the lights are almost always off.

• Lights off brother! It saves power for the servers too : - )

BTW - I can empathize with the feeling of something wrong when you see darkness!

• M.Zubair5823 wrote:

only 1 energy saver light is always on...

Energy saver... always on? Technically not an energy saver anymore. ;)

• All lights off except for 1-2 emergency lights in each major area of the building, including the server room.

• I'm with Amber on this one. Something about walking into the server room with the lights off makes me instantly think "Oh God! Everything is off!!!" It's a scary feeling for that split second before you can hear the comforting whir of the fans.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Off.  To be fair, it's a small room, so the hallway light outside is enough to see if needed anyway. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • They are on a sensor. So lights on when somebody goes in and go off after a bit when empty. The whole office is that way

• Lights Off. It takes half a second to turn them on when I need to.

• thecreativeone91 wrote:

AmberMcN wrote:

I'm in and out of there for daily/weekly tape backups.  (ugh!)  There are also times that I have to work at the actual console when Telnet won't cut it. 

Do you not have a auto tape loader? unless you actually take daily/weeklys off sites it's a great help. I only took monthly/yearly off site when I did tapes.. I've ditches tapes for harddrives a long time ago and now I don't have to take any off site (one NAS syncs to another over Fiber to an off site location).

Daily tapes are taken offsite.  We currently have a in-house core system, however that will change in August when we switch to a service bureau.  I have a ton of things I want to change up - but that's a whole other question for another day...

Read these next...

• How much do you lock down your users?

How much do you lock down your users?

Best Practices & General IT

There is a healthy conversation going on in our IT department about how much freedom to allow our users. While many of us IT guys and gals like to prevent employees from hurting themselves, we all deal with folks chafing for a little more freedom in their...

• Snap! Reporting phishing in Teams, State of IT, Arc A770 graphics card, Optimus

Snap! Reporting phishing in Teams, State of IT, Arc A770 graphics card, Optimus

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. How is it already Monday? Actually, how is it already October 2022? It felt like SpiceWorld was just starting, and already it's over (for this year). But don't worry, the fun continues as this month is Cybers...

• Can you run a print server on windows 10

Can you run a print server on windows 10

Windows

I have many clients with no servers.  Looking for the best way to manage printers.If I share the printer then that machine that shares the printer needs to be online to print correct?   Having to always download the print driver and lookup the printers IP...

• Lost of VDI rights on Windows 10 Enterprise E3

Lost of VDI rights on Windows 10 Enterprise E3

Software

I am migration from standalone Windows 10 Enterprise E3 online subscription to Microsoft 365 E3 online subscription. However, I am seeing this in the terms.https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/terms/productoffering/Microsoft365/MOSADoes this mean I am losi...

• Spark! Pro Series - 3rd October 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 3rd October 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to Monday. I am currently sat at home in isolation, with my wife and I having succumbed to the dreaded Covid-19 after managing to avoid it for the last two and a half years! Still, it gives me the chance to indulge my fancy in yet another Spark! t...