Home
Join

40 Replies

• Well it is the hottest day of the year today 'apparently', and flood warning tomorrow.

Welcome to England.  

Pepper graySpice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I hope to god that wherever I end up working has air conditioning in the office! And yes, I see your point about English weather, we're always in the middle, if we get even a couple of cm's of snow, everything grinds to a halt, and if we ever get a decent amount of sunshine, we all either get burnt, or grumpy because the lovely people at the water board give us hosepipe bans!

attach_file Attachment Texas.jpg 72.9 KB
    Pepper graySpice (12) flagReport
  • The sunshine is long overdue and it lifts up the spirit of everyone in the UK :)

Though I did have to use an umbrella through the thunder storm and downpour at around 6:30 today.

Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
  • Wait for the Storms:) Welcome to the UK!

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • cappilio wrote:

Wait for the Storms:) Welcome to the UK!

Our storms pale in the face of those from across the pond......though you are right, they are coming

• I'm currently sat in an attic office with 2 overworked servers blasting hot air at me. I have 2 fans (one for me and one for the servers!) and 1 opening window. The forecast is for today to be the hottest day this year. I suspect I may lose a few pounds.

I'm loving the hot weather.... at the weekends.

• Yeah, tomorrow's forecast does look brutal.... I've checked the weather everyday for the past 5 days, and not once has it been consistent... even the weather channel's confused, apparently. 

• Yeah i know the Storms in the US are on a different level. Our weather is good really maybe not for people but for everything else. I need the rain my allotment hasn't been watered for days.

If your new to the UK i recommend going to look at some of its history, There is so much to see.

• I am loving it. The great weather seems to have fired up our sports stars. Smashed the Aussies in the second Ashes Test. Chris Froome won The Tour de France, and my BBQ was a great success, OK that my barbie was not sporting but what the hell.

Thunderstorms tonight for London, so even my lawn is in for a bit of a treat......

• You can't really discuss the weather in the UK until you listen to the Shipping forecast. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_ForecastOpens a new window)

There are many people that listen to the forecast that have absolutely no idea where any of the specific regions are or what they relate to; but they still listen whithout fail every single day. Non- Brits still find it completely baffling.

"And now the Shipping Forecast, issued by the Met Office on behalf of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency today.

Viking: Northerly becoming variable then easterly or southeasterly, 4. Slight or moderate. Fog patches in north later. Moderate or good, occasionally very poor in north later.

South Uitsire: Easterly 5 in far south, otherwise variable 4. Slight or moderate. Fair. Good.

Forties: Mainly east or southeast 3 or 4, occasionally 5. Slight. Fair. Moderate or good, occasionally poor later"

Should add; usually heard on Radio 4, although some of the BBC local stations also carry the Shipping Forecast from time to time.

• Welcome to England and the rest of the UK

In terms of weather don't believe a word of it, just put your head out the window and judge for yourself. Personally I love the random weather, keeps you on your toes. ;)

attach_file Attachment british_weather_i...40yl4c.png 549 KB
  • I want sunshine but It comes with hay-fever and then i want my winter back.

• To quote Maccy d's - I'm lovin it.

• The hot weather is less fun when you're out searching for a misper all weekend (we found her alive luckily enough). I was sweating out of my kneecaps.

• Parts of me are sweating that I didn't even know could sweat.

• I use the British weather Stone to tell what the weather is like.

Place stone outside.

if the stone is wet......it's raining

if the stone is dry.......it's not raining

if the stone is warm.......it's sunny

if the stone is cold..........it's not sunny

if you can't see the stone.......it's night time

Pepper graySpice (5) flagReport
  • Derek has it spot on, the weather is never accurate here and imho it seems to be getting worse. When I was kid I remember it being relatively accurate. Now I look at my screen, and then my window and see two different things.

As for the heatwave I'm not a fan of it, and Im longing for some rain the ground needs it.

• All I can really say is thank god the office has air conditioning, otherwise I'd be on the floor by now.

• and if you can't see the stone and all around is white.....it's snowing

• Ashley (Spiceworks) wrote:

Yeah, tomorrow's forecast does look brutal.... I've checked the weather everyday for the past 5 days, and not once has it been consistent... even the weather channel's confused, apparently. 

Come down to South Africa. Thats our cool weather. Down here in summer we hit anything between 30-35'C. (no idea what that is in Fahrenheit, sorry).

• Welcome to the UK. You've completed the first step of fitting into British culture - talking about the weather.

Next you must decide which side you'll take in the incoming civil war

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/celebrity/zara-baby-to-trigger-civil-war-2013070975323Opens a new window

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • Every time I went to the UK it rained.  Next think you know, though, you'll be pronouncing things differently and spelling words like colour instead of color.

• Having a lovely time cycling to work in this weather, a lot different from last year when I wore a jacket all year, plus the firm gets an ice cream van to visit for free!

Ben

• CarolB wrote:

Every time I went to the UK it rained.  Next think you know, though, you'll be pronouncing things differently and spelling words like colour properly.

FTFY. ;)

• Still loving it? Haha

• As has been said many times (particularly about Scotland)

- We don't have bad weather, you've just got the wrong clothing

- If you don't like weather here ..... wait 20 minutes and it will change

Enjoy becoming a Brit :)

• cappilio wrote:

Still loving it? Haha

I'm from Texas, I'm used to Thunderstorms :) 

• Ahh you'll be fine then. Still love watching Thunderstorms i was up at 3am this morning taking snaps of the sky.

• this current weather is unusual - we normally have 2 types of weather.... raining; and raining a lot more than it was a minute ago!

• Now loving the thunderstorms, to ease off the heat for a few days. Then bring on the wall....I mean heat again.

• Welcome to England :)

• As an aside, for the Celsius and Fahrenheit conversions, here are some tips.

Down and dirty Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion:

Double the temperature and add 30.  E.g. 30C = 90F (actual is 86F)

Down and dirty Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion:

Subtract 30 from the temperature and half the result.  E.g. 98F = 34C (actual is 36.6C)

• MAINSTRIKE wrote:

As an aside, for the Celsius and Fahrenheit conversions, here are some tips.

Down and dirty Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion:

Double the temperature and add 30.  E.g. 30C = 90F (actual is 86F)

Down and dirty Fahrenheit to Celsius conversion:

Subtract 30 from the temperature and half the result.  E.g. 98F = 34C (actual is 36.6C)

A good rule of thumb - but for the accurate among us:

°F to °C: Deduct 32, then multiply by 5, then divide by 9
    °C to °F: Multiply by 9, then divide by 5, then add 32

• In case no one has yet posted it, the converter from Fahrenheit to Celsius is:

C = 5/9(F - 32). The quick method is subtract 30 from Fahrenheit and cut the result in half. So, C = 5/9(90 - 32) -> C = 5/9(58) -> C ~ 32.

The other direction is F = (9/5)C + 32. Quick is double C and add 30.

• I did not want to hijack the thread but indeed it appears that there's some discussion about the temperature conversion.  So back to our regularly scheduled programme.

Ashley, even though I'm stuck in Canada, I've heard from numerous people that it is so much easier to travel while living in Europe.  So enjoy the freedom to visit a multitude of destinations.  There's so much more history there than our lump of rock on this side of the pond.

• Looks like you need an upgrade, what with Climate Change and all:

Derek4570 wrote:

I use the British weather Stone to tell what the weather is like.

Place stone outside.

if the stone is wet......it's raining
    if the stone is dry.......it's not raining
    if the stone is warm.......it's sunny
    if the stone is cold..........it's not sunny
    if you can't see the stone.......it's night time

attach_file Attachment Weather.jpg 101 KB
  • Well, thanks to Ashley cursing some of us, Nottingham has had flash floods and I've had to walk through a 6" river ON A PAVEMENT (sidewalk) for 10 [content removed by this moderator] minutes - the road was about 8" deep.

Any deeper and you could have kept fish in it.

• Huw3481 wrote:

Well, thanks to Ashley cursing some of us, Nottingham has had flash floods and I've had to walk through a 6" river ON A PAVEMENT (sidewalk) for 10 [content removed by this moderator] minutes - the road was about 8" deep.

Any deeper and you could have kept fish in it.

attach_file Attachment walkingmyfish.jpg 25.2 KB
  • That's f**king shallow compared to the river! Even one of the pubs was flooded!

• http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/Roads-turn-rivers-city-hit-flash-flooding/story-19557507-detail/story.htmlOpens a new window#

Read these next...

• Today's amusing website request

Today's amusing website request

Water Cooler

From a side group that I handle:We need to update the address information on the website.  (It's on a few different pages).Can you export the website to Microsoft Word so that we can just search and replace?Funniest request I've gotten in a while.On a sid...

• Standalone private mail server

Standalone private mail server

Security

Hi team, all this post is about personal use,Since few months, or even years, having all my mails on google servers is bothering me. So I am seriously thinking about creating a standalone mail server here in my home. The aim is not either to create huge s...

• Snap! -- Titan, Sentient AI, Chatbot Tests, Rat Czar, Wireless Electricity

Snap! -- Titan, Sentient AI, Chatbot Tests, Rat Czar, Wireless Electricity

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to the Snap! Flashback: Back on December 2, 1954, The US Navy dedicates its Naval Ordnance Research Calculator (NORC) (Read more HERE.) Bonus Flashback: Back on December 2, 1995, NASA launch...

• They had ONE job!

They had ONE job!

Security

Was trying to be a nice IT person.Transferred user computer profile from one desktop to another. All went well, no real issues, just a couple of apps the user needed to install, like Citrix Workspace. So I left local admin rights for the users account to ...

• Spark! Pro series – 2nd December 2022

Spark! Pro series – 2nd December 2022

Spiceworks Originals

I don’t know about you, but I am feeling the Christmas Spirit.  The tree is up, the packages are wrapped, the house and yard are decorated.  And the Eggnog is spiked!  Happy Friday Y’all! Just a reminder, if ...