Home
Join

20 Replies

• I've seen this ad three times while I posted this.  They are pushing this ad very hard and while they get extra visibility because I'm mentioning it, even people reading this thread will generally have no idea what this ad means.  If the marketing department doesn't know what an ad means, chances are the IT Pros won't either.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Very well said SAM

• Talk'n about that outlaw X is cuttin through the air!

• It looks like a 90's cigarette ad.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Looks like someone's trying to sell my system again ;)

• Yeah, I saw the ad but it when straight over my head. Sorry, I'm just not in the large enterprise space (and as SAM pointed out - this really doesn't mean anything to the SMB sector - at least from where I sit).

• I don't think people not familiar with System X would take the time to figure out what it is.  This type of AD is almost worthless, IMHO.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I would have figured the AD was from a company named SoftChoice.

• I was honestly thinking the same thing.  I was surprised of the mentioning of spiceheads when the general public have no idea of what a spicehead is.

• Interesting in that I saw that ad on the Commuity home page and was wondering what/who they were selling.

Spice (1) flagReport
  •  

CJ.Davis wrote:

I was honestly thinking the same thing.  I was surprised of the mentioning of spiceheads when the general public have no idea of what a spicehead is.

That's actually the part that seems okay to most of us since only Spiceheads would see the ad, not the general public.  It is that Spiceheads don't generally know what "System X" implies.  It's a niche technical vendor product in the SMB space and the terminology as misused implies a generic English phrase that makes it look like a mistake.

Using Spiceheads is a bit weirder too as even many Spiceheader don't use that term.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I just saw the guy and thought he was the marlboro man..haha (not really, but never even look at the ad)

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Fully agree!

• There was another softchoice ad not too long ago that wasn't real clear either- pretty sure it was a system x ad too

• Magnus369 wrote:

There was another softchoice ad not too long ago that wasn't real clear either- pretty sure it was a system x ad too

Yup, that's why I brought it up.  I feel like the either the vendor is completely not paying attention to the community, not listening to Spiceworks or the marketing consultants aren't informing them just how poor this ad is.

• That guy's name is Kareem??

• Must be getting a great deal on system x-

System X is Great!

It spreads on toast like butter!

It mows the lawn!

It trims it's own coat when it's time, and knits you a new sweater with the remains!

It's Eco-Friendly!

It tastes like chocolate!

It comes in packs of 6, which is perfect for the modern family!

Yeah... still haven't bothered to look up the specs yet myself. Sadly, the only reason I know it's an IBM box is the horrid naming conventions.

• I agree the wording does not tell me what the ad is about but the picture tells me even less. Why would I want a System X that is about some dude with sunglasses and a hat?

Spice (2) flagReport
  • My company builds a lot of banner ADs and we jump through hoops to get approved not just by our clients, but also the legal team who are way more strict.  I'm very surprised an AD like with the improper naming convention was approved.  If you ask me, it seems this company is using this IBM's hardware without permission.  Could be the reason why "IBM" is no where found on the AD.

• That's possible.  "SYSTEM X" as they write it, alone, doesn't officially imply IBM and could be being used to suggest that they have IBM gear but if it was a legal issue they could claim common English.

Read these next...