Home
Join
check
  • Yup, hands down, "THE CLOUD". It's like it's this magical place, data nirvana. My Facebook IT buddies and I have dubbed it "la la land".

Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

108 Replies

• CLOUD______

Spice (18) flagReport
    • CLOUD!!!!

Spice (10) flagReport
    • haha! I don't know if that one is going away anytime soon...

Spice (2) flagReport
    • it's not about it going away, it;s about it being used properly

Spice (8) flagReport
    • Yup, anyone who says that their product is on the cloud.  Nothing says "I'm not sure what I"m selling" more than saying it is on a cloud.  Universally, everyone saying that, isn't.

Spice (10) flagReport
    • LOL....the "Cloud".

Spice (1) flagReport
    •  

Scott Alan Miller wrote:

Yup, anyone who says that their product is on the cloud.  Nothing says "I'm not sure what I"m selling" more than saying it is on a cloud.  Universally, everyone saying that, isn't.

It's like nails on a Chalkboard!

Spice (1) flagReport
    • I blame Microsoft and their "To The Cloud" ads on tv, although I agree with others here that they are far and away NOT the only ones doing this that have no grasp on what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks they're talking about...

Spice (2) flagReport
    • "Productivity"

erggggg

• yup +1 for cloud.

• So what do we do in Marketing? Come up with a new name and always have to explain it as "Well, yeah it's like the Cloud, but we call it something different." Reminds me of one of the great Simpsons episodes:

Homer: Oh, I almost forgot. While I was at the court house, I had them change your name.
      Marge: To what?
      Homer: Chesty La Rue.
      Marge: CHESTY LARUE?
      Homer: Just try it for two weeks. If you don't like it, you can be Busty St. Claire.
      Marge: I don't want to be Chesty La Rue or Busty St. Claire.
      Homer: Fine. Hooty McBoob it is.

Do we just change the name? Homer can't change Marge's name or the 'Cloud' it's just too popular now and everyone knows it by that name.

I struggled with this while completing a 'Cloud' blog post. So I went to basics and built a cheat sheet for Softchoice customers based on the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s definition of Cloud:

Cloud Cheat Sheet: 5 Building Blocks, 3 Service Models and 4 Deployment Models

Like clouds in the sky, there are also many types of clouds in our systems...but we don't call any of those cloud...just when you thought we had it all figured out...

Spice (5) flagReport
    • Anytime anyone uses the word leverage.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Prefixing ( i ) in front of everything to make it sound cooler (iCloud, iDrink, iDock, etc) This does help with brand recognition but when overused by "everyone" then it does become annoying.

Spice (6) flagReport
    • If you wanted the worst marketing campaign ever I have a sample pinned to the wall in my office. Why would I ever buy something from a company that did this......chuckling looking at it now.

• I think ROI is another one

• Buzzwords/acronyms like TCO and ROI, you can be sure to see them EVERYWHERE.

• I think TCO and ROI are an attempt to appeal to management, rather than techies. Which is dangerous, because we all know how it goes when the CEO orders a whole new infrastructure and forgets to tell the IT dept..  I guess as a techie I'd be inclined to avoid those terms because it suggests that the product pitch is aimed at management, hinting that the product isn't good enough to stand up to the scrutiny of a techie and the only way they can shift the product is to bamboozle the pointy-haired ones.  I saw an ad recently that started "Dude!", and I honestly thought it was the best tech advert I'd seen in a long time, lol.

But.. "Cloud", "solutions"... I got through the aversion to the iPrefix purely through using an iPhone for 2 years, after which I just didn't care anymore. 

• Moving forward, heads up and on the same page are my favorite gripes.
      Moving forward -> why would we want to go backwards??
      Heads up -> heads up arses?
      On the same page -> get off my computer and make your own page!

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Taken off a web site this morning

"Leveraging the 360 Degree Customer View to Maximise Up-Sell and Cross-Sell potential"

The individual words make sense, but ...

I wonder if the vendor even knows what this means.

Spice (4) flagReport
    • evolve B2B action-items

strategize world-class architectures

incentivize cross-platform interfaces

seize mission-critical content

recontextualize cutting-edge methodologies

...And more!

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Ingwe wrote:

evolve B2B action-items

strategize world-class architectures

incentivize cross-platform interfaces

seize mission-critical content

recontextualize cutting-edge methodologies

...And more!

That makes about as much sense as "Reroute the encryptions".  Where do businesses get these things?

Spice (1) flagReport
    • JustinCredible wrote:

"Productivity"

erggggg

JustSayin wrote:

Anytime anyone uses the word leverage.

Please don't hate me!?!  I'll use both in a sentence, such as, "We help businesses leverage their IT to increase employee productivity."  For some reason, "We help companies use their IT better to let employees do more," just doesn't have the same ring.

•  

Bottman wrote:

Taken off a web site this morning

"Leveraging the 360 Degree Customer View to Maximise Up-Sell and Cross-Sell potential"

The individual words make sense, but ...

I wonder if the vendor even knows what this means.

My dictionary just set itself on fire and tackled the thesaurus screaming something about synonyms.

Spice (8) flagReport
    • Our local monopoly telco in South Africa has a great one.

"Telkom, Touch Tomorrow"

this from a company that only provides DSL up to 10Mbit to about 50000 customers and the rest get 4mbit if they are lucky.

They also still consider leased line ISDN the primary business connection product.

•  

Emily (Softchoice) wrote:

So what do we do in Marketing? Come up with a new name and always have to explain it as "Well, yeah it's like the Cloud, but we call it something different." Reminds me of one of the great Simpsons episodes:

Homer: Oh, I almost forgot. While I was at the court house, I had them change your name.
      Marge: To what?
      Homer: Chesty La Rue.
      Marge: CHESTY LARUE?
      Homer: Just try it for two weeks. If you don't like it, you can be Busty St. Claire.
      Marge: I don't want to be Chesty La Rue or Busty St. Claire.
      Homer: Fine. Hooty McBoob it is.

Do we just change the name? Homer can't change Marge's name or the 'Cloud' it's just too popular now and everyone knows it by that name.

I struggled with this while completing a 'Cloud' blog post. So I went to basics and built a cheat sheet for Softchoice customers based on the National Institute of Standards and Technology’s definition of Cloud:

Cloud Cheat Sheet: 5 Building Blocks, 3 Service Models and 4 Deployment Models

Like clouds in the sky, there are also many types of clouds in our systems...but we don't call any of those cloud...just when you thought we had it all figured out...

Including exactly which model you offer in marketing material and education your sales force on those, is a great step. Could is just vague, and we've probably all seen examples of sales and marketing people who can't explain it. 

http://www.theonion.com/video/hp-on-that-cloud-thing-that-everyone-else-is-talki,28789

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Tekk Noir wrote:

I think TCO and ROI are an attempt to appeal to management, rather than techies. Which is dangerous, because we all know how it goes when the CEO orders a whole new infrastructure and forgets to tell the IT dept..  I guess as a techie I'd be inclined to avoid those terms because it suggests that the product pitch is aimed at management, hinting that the product isn't good enough to stand up to the scrutiny of a techie and the only way they can shift the product is to bamboozle the pointy-haired ones.  I saw an ad recently that started "Dude!", and I honestly thought it was the best tech advert I'd seen in a long time, lol.

But.. "Cloud", "solutions"... I got through the aversion to the iPrefix purely through using an iPhone for 2 years, after which I just didn't care anymore. 

How often do you think C-level targeted marketing actually works in the IT sector? It's my thinking that sometimes bigger and more expensive solutions need C-level decisions due to the investment involved.

• Cloud is annoying because it almost always has to be clarified.  What good is a word if no one knows what you mean?

This may be more managerial than marketing (though I have seen it many times in ads) but I hate when people use "Outside the Box".  If I have to tell someone to think "outside the box", how good are they, really? Even worse, when someone tells me the "can" think outside the box....

• Yup, hands down, "THE CLOUD". It's like it's this magical place, data nirvana. My Facebook IT buddies and I have dubbed it "la la land".

Spice (2) flagReport
    • "i" and "e" every thing, "the cloud", and a few from the past "Java OS", "it just works", "plug 'n play"

Spice (2) flagReport
    • How about the Turbo swtich on 386 and 486 systems.

• Cloud-washing is my personal pet peeve. A number of companies simply slapped the word Cloud onto whatever they were doing before. This creates ambiguity and confusion in the marketplace. Not a fan of that anymore than I am Green-washing or other sneaky tactics like that. 

After that, metaphors about flight, the weather, the sky, taking off "into the cloud" have all become rather cliche due to overuse and abuse.

• Ooh, yeah, "Going Green!" or "Carbon Footprint"

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Like this...uuuggghhh...it's everywhere. Love the irony of the ad placement though.

attach_file Attachment Capture.PNG 139 KB
    • "Synergy" was popular for a while, but it's definitely been replaced by "Cloud". Also the letter "X" (Mac OS X, Xbox, Droid X) was in everything for a while.

• Clippy

attach_file Attachment Clippy-letter.PNG 10.7 KB
      Spice (6) flagReport
    • Plug & Play...

• I like this one:

attach_file Attachment dilbert2040739070918.gif 25.7 KB
      Spice (3) flagReport
    • Emily (Softchoice) wrote:

How often do you think C-level targeted marketing actually works in the IT sector? It's my thinking that sometimes bigger and more expensive solutions need C-level decisions due to the investment involved.

I can' speak for every situation, but it works just the opposite around here. The larger the price then the more likely the CEO is going to just dump the info on my desk and say "here's something that I got in the mail today".

The CEO's trust and faith in the ability of the IT person plays a very large role here. If the CEO sees the IT Director/Manager as a hardware fixer then he's more likely to make arbitrary decisions without input. If he sees you as a business analyst and partner in reaching the goals of the organization then you can overcome the "IT avoidance" techniques of vendors.

Is there a group in the Spiceworks community for general IT Management topics? I hear too many times statements like "We don't have an IT budget" or "do we need a policy for..."

I think a group to assist small IT shops to take that next step would be very helpful to some of the folks in the community.

Spice (4) flagReport
    • I dont know why you guys are hating. I was able to increase productivity by Cloud hosting our sustainability generators.

Spice (2) flagReport
    •  

Glenn_P wrote:

Emily (Softchoice) wrote:

I can' speak for every situation, but it works just the opposite around here. The larger the price then the more likely the CEO is going to just dump the info on my desk and say "here's something that I got in the mail today".

The CEO's trust and faith in the ability of the IT person plays a very large role here. If the CEO sees the IT Director/Manager as a hardware fixer then he's more likely to make arbitrary decisions without input. If he sees you as a business analyst and partner in reaching the goals of the organization then you can overcome the "IT avoidance" techniques of vendors.

Is there a group in the Spiceworks community for general IT Management topics? I hear too many times statements like "We don't have an IT budget" or "do we need a policy for..."

I think a group to assist small IT shops to take that next step would be very helpful to some of the folks in the community.

http://community.spiceworks.com/channel/show/13-best-practices-and-general-it

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Emily (Softchoice) wrote:

http://community.spiceworks.com/channel/show/13-best-practices-and-general-it

That's what i was looking for! There goes the weekend -- I'll be getting caught up on all of the posts there.

Thanks.

• SpiceHeads are making a difference! I ust pulled this OUT of an email I'm working on: "maximize data storage, reduce TCO and optimize ROI."

• #next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } Nice!

There must be a less buzzy way to communicate that idea to your audience.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• No, no, no. Cloud is a game changer. I mean, SSDs are a game changer. Sorry, I meant to say that SaaS is a game changer. I mean...

Apple's iTV could be a game changer, study finds.

Is Pinterest the Next Social Commerce Game Changer?

VZ: ‘LTE’ iPhone Could Be ‘Game Changer,’ Says Jefferies

New Twitter Tools, Game Changer for Businesses?

IT as a Game Changer (EDUCAUSE Review)

3D Printing: The Game Changer

Is the iPad a Game Changer?

Spice (3) flagReport
    • Y'all are too young! Back when the world was new (and dinosaurs roamed...) It was MIPS. Supposedly a measure of the speed of processing (Millions of Instructions Per Second) it was such a horribly overused and thoroughly baseless measurement that all of us around then instantly renamed it to "Marketing Interpretations Per Second".

Spice (3) flagReport
    • I remember seeing a sticker on an old computer..

"NEVER OBSOLETE!"

I loled at the sticker...  I wanted to take it off and put it on my gaming rig.  

• Who started "the cloud"?! It is by far the stupidest, cheesiest, and now just cliche. 

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Whenever they try to acronym things.

• Best of breed

Industry-leading

State-of-the-art

Totally integrated

User-friendly

...and on and on. Why do marketers use those terms? No one believes them and no one searches for them. 

Spice (1) flagReport
    • We maximized ROI by leveraging our State-of-the-art eInfrastrucure into a totally integrated Cloud iSolution. We are enjoying the synergy of a user friendly lower TCO.

Spice (3) flagReport

Read these next...