Home
Join

51 Replies

• Microsoft to let Office 365 users report Teams phishing messages

That is an awesome feature to have! We had an article recently on 11 different types of phishing attacksOpens a new window to be aware of and how to spot them. 

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • All this time I was taught it was Cyberdyne that made the Terminators.  Can't wait for the Telsa Terminators to come walking thru and take away everything I love.

Pepper graySpice (9) flagReport
  • Who all planning to go to super Earth(s)? 

• Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

I am tempted to find a featured image of the Earth with a cape on for this one... but I'll behave.

Do I have to behave?

Nope, I am not known to behave.

Pepper graySpice (16) flagReport
  • Earth with a cape would be welcomed. Ha.

• Really Tesla??? You named it Optimus???

The best you could do with all of your money and science is rip off the name of Optimus Prime???

Pepper graySpice (11) flagReport
  • Why would you want a humanoid robot? You can make a robot that can do "everything a human can do" and more much easier without the immense complexities of a bipedal design. Hands/opposable thumbs for sure, but balancing the whole thing on 2 legs? Dumb.

Pepper graySpice (7) flagReport
  • I was planning on a full Team Red build after AMD drops their new GPU line. But, now I'm thinking about a full Blue Team build after Intel responds with 13th-gen CPUs. Too many decisions, too little money in the bank.

Pepper graySpice (5) flagReport
  • A discrete graphics card from Intel?  Sounds familiar - let me look in the ol' junk drawer.

Pepper graySpice (16) flagReport
  • ich.ni.san wrote:

A discrete graphics card from Intel?  Sounds familiar - let me look in the ol' junk drawer.

Pepper graySpice (19) flagReport
  • KevinB85 wrote:

All this time I was taught it was Cyberdyne that made the Terminators.  Can't wait for the Telsa Terminators to come walking thru and take away everything I love.

We'll be fine. They'll just stop for no reason, and catch fire without our help.

Pepper graySpice (11) flagReport
  • Lonny6654 wrote:

ich.ni.san wrote:

A discrete graphics card from Intel?  Sounds familiar - let me look in the ol' junk drawer.

So much useful stuff in this picture

Pepper graySpice (6) flagReport
  • Lonny6654
    I heard AGP is making a comeback!
    LOL
    Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
  • Founder of cybersecurity firm Acronis is afraid of his own vacuum cleaner

Did the CEO of Acronis just admit to being a puppy dog? Scared of his own vacuum cleaner? What the heck LOL

• I see you've been to my father-in-laws workshop!  Mine is only marginally better, all of my funnels are in one box!!

Lonny6654 wrote:

ich.ni.san wrote:

Pepper graySpice (10) flagReport
  • Really hoping that Intel's cards are enough to stay as a third player for the next few years. Would be great to have competition for AMD and Nvidia, especially with those 40 series card prices.

Pepper graySpice (3) flagReport
  • Tesla shows off unfinished humanoid robot prototypes at AI Day 2022

Getting major "iRobot" vibes

Pepper graySpice (5) flagReport
  • I have no doubt that Intel can put together a competent 3D card. I question their ability to match Nvidia or AMD for driver updates and dealing with bugs and compatibility issues. I hope they surprise me, NVidia seems to have decided they want to lose with their recent pricing.

• Didn't Tesla also just announce that their Cybertruck can be briefly used as boats?
    https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-tesla-cybertruck-truck-serve-briefly-as-boat-2022-9Opens a new window

That would go perfectly with the Cybertruck's "bulletproof glass."

• "a peek into projected IT spending patterns in the coming year"

You may have seen the recent conversation about how IT Pros view the cloud. So I wonder, how is your organization spending on cloud changing this year? 

• MachoManRandall wrote:

Founder of cybersecurity firm Acronis is afraid of his own vacuum cleaner

Did the CEO of Acronis just admit to being a puppy dog? Scared of his own vacuum cleaner? What the heck LOL

You didn't really read the article did you? ;)

• I can see it now.  Tesla partners with Amazon for robot delivery tech and we really will have Optimus Prime...

Pepper graySpice (9) flagReport
  • Intel's A770 is similar in horsepower to Nvidia's 3060ti.  Honestly, that's impressive for their first "real" GPU in years.  It's enough to compete for some of the low end market. 

Great job Intel, glad to see the competition.

• Zed wrote:

Why would you want a humanoid robot? You can make a robot that can do "everything a human can do" and more much easier without the immense complexities of a bipedal design. Hands/opposable thumbs for sure, but balancing the whole thing on 2 legs? Dumb.

Honestly, I want one because Science Fiction has been promising them to me my whole life.

Might be a poor design for a robot, but doesn't mean it won't be very much in demand. :)

Just like flying cars... might actually be a horrible idea, but I still want one.

• Suzanne (Spiceworks) wrote:

Zed wrote:

Why would you want a humanoid robot? You can make a robot that can do "everything a human can do" and more much easier without the immense complexities of a bipedal design. Hands/opposable thumbs for sure, but balancing the whole thing on 2 legs? Dumb.

Honestly, I want one because Science Fiction has been promising them to me my whole life.

I'm just excited as can be over our first Roomba we got this past weekend.  I'm sure this makes me some kind of late-to-the-party dunce, but I basically got my 10,000 steps yesterday following it around the house.  Now, if it actually looked humanoid, I'd probably still be at home gawking.

• Giant planets with deep regulating oceans sound like a grand idea.

• Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

The entire live robot demonstration lasted roughly seven minutes, and the firm also played a demonstration video of the walking Optimus prototype picking up a box and putting it down, slowly watering a plant, and moving metal parts in a factory-like setting—all while tethered to an overhead cable. 

I think it would have been hilarious if the menial tasks Telsa demoed the humanoid robot doing was signing up for a Twitter account. Missed opportunity.

Pepper graySpice (8) flagReport
  • Zed wrote:

Ok. Hear me out...
    Bi-pedal design. Modularly detatchable skateboard. Rocket pack.

I await your counter arguments. Ha.

• Is this a real big problem?  Microsoft to let Office 365 users report Teams phishing messages

I haven't seen any attempts. 

• There has to be some more life out in the universe with all of these super earths. Hopefully they are humanoid like us, no offense bots!

• Spicy one.

• Wow, so dogs and cats have been right all along - the vacuum really is evil! Dogs of course, warn you of it, and cats, well... they run and hope you're slower than they are.

Looks like its time to reread I, Robot. 

I wonder if those star ghosts are detectable, and how often they glide through the known galaxy. And, just in time for Halloween. Thanks science! I was only worried about being hit by an asteroid ending all life on the planet. Now we can also look forward to a random dead black hole cruising through the solar system scattering us like a cue ball in a game of 9 ball. Let's see if I can get one of those powerplants that Matt Damon had in The Martian From Amazon...

And, the top 10 reasons to have a bipedal humanoid robot.

They look cool. 

Well, how else are we going to recreate Real Steel for real?

So AI can join in on the Tik-Tok Craze.

I need to send my doppleganger to work today...

I just need to run to the store

Someone has to walk the dog, and rolling the dog just doesn't sound right.

Feel free to add the other 5... ; )

• So, Tesla can sell robots which replace real workers at an initial cost of 1/3 a starting annual salary for a real person, and will work longer hours with zero complaints.

Which of his own factories shall see the first roll-out?

Pepper graySpice (4) flagReport
  • OneShotWillie wrote:

And, the top 10 reasons to have a bipedal humanoid robot.

Feel free to add the other 5... ; )

6: A humanoid robot can interact with it's surrounding environment in the same manner humans can (In an environment with technology created to advance humans ability to interact with it).

7: Because they can interact in the same way, they can perform a wider array of functions than other alternative mobility mechanisms. 

8: A humanoid robot can, as scary as this sounds, in theory, convert vehicles not designed for automous driving, to automous driving.

9: Think robots can't fly? (I mean, there's drones, so more efficient mechanisms for automous flight exist, but...) Imagine a humanoid robot in a helicopter. (New fear unlocked...)

10: Helicopter not fast enough? Ship them to space on a space ship and let them collect samples to find human-habitable planets, or fight our space battles. What could possibly go wrong?

• jessevas wrote:

So, Tesla can sell robots which replace real workers at an initial cost of 1/3 a starting annual salary for a real person, and will work longer hours with zero complaints.

My guess is the one making the humanoid robots...
  • I swore off of Intel Kool-Aid long ago.

• ShanePlus wrote:

jessevas wrote:

So, Tesla can sell robots which replace real workers at an initial cost of 1/3 a starting annual salary for a real person, and will work longer hours with zero complaints.

My guess is the one making the humanoid robots...

Good point.  My first thought was Tesla, to boost productivity.

• lamocon wrote:

I was planning on a full Team Red build after AMD drops their new GPU line. But, now I'm thinking about a full Blue Team build after Intel responds with 13th-gen CPUs. Too many decisions, too little money in the bank.

lamocon​ I don't know if all-blue would be the best idea.  Even as the drivers slowly get better, devs have to account for the third player in the arena.  I just don't see strong stability and performance coming until circa March 2023.  Interesting to watch the developments though and for those that might have a hand-me-down/left-over gaming PC, or just very curious, it certainly would be the wild blue yonder.  Oops, that was weak, lol.

• Talking about Super-Earth's, one of my work colleagues (budding astrologist from home) told me about this "Super-Earth" Don't know if he was just pulling my leg but made me raise a Spock eyebrow...

• visibility_off Reply hidden by Spiceworks

Rhinoserious wrote:

Spicy one.

Careful, this Snap! may burn your a**hole

• Milky Way's graveyard of dead stars found

Learn more about the "galactic underworld" at Phys.org.Opens a new window

An interesting work of fiction with a few facts salted through it.  - They've only just found it and yet they know how it was formed and where its content came from?  Speculation overload.

Super-Earths are more common and more habitable than Earth.

More habitable?  Despite the greater gravity impairing mobility, etc.?

[Edit: corrected dyslexic fingers oops - who/how.]

Pepper graySpice (4) flagReport
  • So Intel named it after the large Airbus plane?

• delta-sierra_426 wrote:

lamocon wrote:

I was planning on a full Team Red build after AMD drops their new GPU line. But, now I'm thinking about a full Blue Team build after Intel responds with 13th-gen CPUs. Too many decisions, too little money in the bank.

lamocon​ I don't know if all-blue would be the best idea.  Even as the drivers slowly get better, devs have to account for the third player in the arena.  I just don't see strong stability and performance coming until circa March 2023.  Interesting to watch the developments though and for those that might have a hand-me-down/left-over gaming PC, or just very curious, it certainly would be the wild blue yonder.  Oops, that was weak, lol.

delta-sierra_426​, I definitely think drivers will be a sticking point. Have done red builds before but never a blue one, which is why I'm interested. That baby can crash all it wants, I just want to be there cursing at it when it does! But it definitely depends on how 13th gen is looking.

• I embrace the idea that most people do not realize how many computer controlled devices are around them, and the data in which they collect will soon be analyzed from all these points using AI (already being done), and used against us (get ads much from Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, here?).  I disagree that we're unable to live without these devices, using the smartphone as an example.  You take my smartphone away, I might be the happiest person on Earth.

Now as for the dead star repository.  Since these are in many cases black holes, they will register on the RF spectrum, the dead stars that never collapse into black holes are more interesting though (as they have a lower RF signature). This is but one way we can account for all the extra mass in the universe, proving there is more mass there than we previously thought, and also helps provide proof of the theory that extra mass is helping to accelerate the expansion of the universe.

Probably the lease pretty analogies of the universe, is a fairly accurate one. That of a balloon being inflated. Initially the balloon resists inflation. Expansion is slow, but as it gets larger, the effort it takes to inflate, reduces (or said differently the same effort creates accelerating inflation). One can only hope the analogy breaks down there, as the logical outcome would be a exploded universe.

• Graeme.N wrote:

Super-Earths are more common and more habitable than Earth.

More habitable?  Despite the greater gravity impairing mobility, etc.?

I suppose there would be options where the rotational velocity and/or core density might make for lighter gravity.  

And if the gravitational difference isn't massively different, there's the option that human physiology would adapt accordingly.  If only we could negate the low gravity endured from the trip to and from.

• ich.ni.san wrote:

o yeah look at that 8mb of ram on that thing. 

• jessevas wrote:

Haha! No, they cannot sell robots to replace real workers at 1/3 their salary. That number is pie in the sky hopium, they're not for sale and they're not close to replacing anyone. Musk has a terrible track record with promises and shipping dates. Just look at self driving, which has been 1 year away for almost a decade.  Look at what happened to pricing on Tesla solar. They practically doubled or tripled the price. Absolutely ATROCIOUS record of broken promises and pricing.

First of all, $20k is not 1/3 the salary of the people doing the jobs that thing is capable of doing. Probably closer to 1/2 to 2/3. Box moving is not a well paying job. 

Second, that thing is going to complain, when it sends notifications that it broke. Don't forget to include maintenance costs. 

Which factory? Probably none that are exist today since they'll probably have to build the whole factory around it.

• ShanePlus wrote:

Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

The entire live robot demonstration lasted roughly seven minutes, and the firm also played a demonstration video of the walking Optimus prototype picking up a box and putting it down, slowly watering a plant, and moving metal parts in a factory-like setting—all while tethered to an overhead cable. 

I think it would have been hilarious if the menial tasks Telsa demoed the humanoid robot doing was signing up for a Twitter account. Missed opportunity.

It would be even more hilarious if the trial went through and Twitter used this as evidence of Musk padding the bot numbers to tank the sale.

• cnicholsontech wrote:

jessevas wrote:

Haha! No, they cannot sell robots to replace real workers at 1/3 their salary. That number is pie in the sky hopium, they're not for sale and they're not close to replacing anyone. Musk has a terrible track record with promises and shipping dates. Just look at self driving, which has been 1 year away for almost a decade.  Look at what happened to pricing on Tesla solar. They practically doubled or tripled the price. Absolutely ATROCIOUS record of broken promises and pricing.

First of all, $20k is not 1/3 the salary of the people doing the jobs that thing is capable of doing. Probably closer to 1/2 to 2/3. Box moving is not a well paying job. 

Second, that thing is going to complain, when it sends notifications that it broke. Don't forget to include maintenance costs. 

Which factory? Probably none that are exist today since they'll probably have to build the whole factory around it.

Yet he has reusable rocket boosters.  When he really wants it, he makes it happen.

As for his cars, they were a means to an end.  He needed to sell them, not deliver them.  Just like the Hyperloop.  He'll get to Mars long before he gets from LA to SF.

As much as he was crying over taxes when he moved to Texas, I'm sure he'll push to recoup all that labor revenue as soon as possible.

• jessevas wrote:

Yet he has reusable rocket boosters.  When he really wants it, he makes it happen.

As for his cars, they were a means to an end.  He needed to sell them, not deliver them.  Just like the Hyperloop.  He'll get to Mars long before he gets from LA to SF.

As much as he was crying over taxes when he moved to Texas, I'm sure he'll push to recoup all that labor revenue as soon as possible.

None of that disproves what I said. Nobody is saying he won't make a robot that does... something. I'm saying that he can't reach the dollar amount he listed because he has an awful track record with pricing and timelines. "He has a rocket" is not a response to that. He bought part of that. Are you saying he can't do full self driving because he doesn't actually want it? That's fraud.

What end were the cars? The end was to sell them. He's promised a difficult to develop technology for a decade and cannot deliver. He can't deliver Cybertruck. He admitted that hyperloop was just to delay California's high speed rail initiatives, he didn't build anything.

He can push to recoup all he wants. Right now he has some dumb robots stumbling around stage that can barely stand, and making them stand is the EASY part. Making them able to do things autonomously is orders of magnitude more difficult. 

Read these next...

• Simple command to monitor Windows 10 temperature?

Simple command to monitor Windows 10 temperature?

Hardware

I feel like this has probably been address before, although I was wondering if someone is aware of a simple command I can run to report the internal temperature of a Windows 10 PC?I think all computers monitor the temperature, although I've only found thi...

• Remote access to DVR?

Remote access to DVR?

Security

Hi!I have an older Hikvision DVR that I need to provide remote access to. The users would be mainly accessing it from their smartphones. I tested their software, iVMS, by assigning one of my public IP's to the DVR and it worked fine. However the issue is ...

• Snap! -- Survival Kits, Forest Bubble on Mars, AI Movie Plots, Leprosy & Livers

Snap! -- Survival Kits, Forest Bubble on Mars, AI Movie Plots, Leprosy & Livers

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to the Snap! Flashback: Back on December 6, 1907, Mathematical Logician J. Barkley Rosser Born (Read more HERE.) Bonus Flashback: Back on December 6, 1998, International Space Station assemb...

• Spark! Pro Series - 6 December 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 6 December 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Today in History: 6 December 1240 – Mongols led by Batu Khan occupy and destroy Kyiv after an 8 day siege; out of 50,000 people in the city only 2,000 survive 1849 – Harriet Tubman escapes from slavery in Maryl...

• The most boring but interesting Phishing Attempt I've seen

The most boring but interesting Phishing Attempt I've seen

Security

Hello There,We've recently had a phishy email come through to one of our employees with an attachment to something work related. But here's the interesting part: The email was spoofed. When checked, the address was that of our own domain, however the emai...