Home
Join

7 Replies

• I believe this line of Cisco Business Switches can act as a DHCP server. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/business-220-series-smart-switches/models-comparison...

I haven't used them in that capacity so I would confirm that with Cisco over chat or phone. I imagine Netgear has a competing product as well.  You can always call or jump on chat through a vendors site and they can give you comparable switches.

You could also buy a cheap server and load Windows Server on it to run a DHCP server. I haven't done much with Linux servers but I imagine there is a free distro you can run as a DHCP server as well.

Some of it depends on what you want to accomplish with a DHCP and how many users/devices you expect to support.

Edit to add the link.

Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • The Cisco small business line is pretty good, anything in the SG300 range.

If you don't need a switch, then look into small devices like Firewalla etc. They're rock solid and super simple to setup.

• ThaneKrios wrote:

I believe this line of Cisco Business Switches can act as a DHCP server. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/business-220-series-smart-switches/models-comparison...

I haven't used them in that capacity so I would confirm that with Cisco over chat or phone. I imagine Netgear has a competing product as well.  You can always call or jump on chat through a vendors site and they can give you comparable switches.

You could also buy a cheap server and load Windows Server on it to run a DHCP server. I haven't done much with Linux servers but I imagine there is a free distro you can run as a DHCP server as well.

Some of it depends on what you want to accomplish with a DHCP and how many users/devices you expect to support.

Edit to add the link.

This was a great call. I have fired off emails to D-Link, Netgear and HPE to see what suggested models they come back with.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I find it a bit strange, when it's first said, that money is a problem, but than you would buy a new switch, just to run a lightweight service, that can be handled even by a $25 RaspberryPi.

I don't know what the DHCP server implementation on Cisco switches looks like, but I would expect it to be a more basic implementation. Could be wrong here.

You can run DHCP and DNS on any Linux box. Not only Linux - Open Source DHCP servers also exist as Windows binaries that can be run on any Windows PC (e.g. Open DHCP Server)....when there is no Windows server available.

Otherwise...if 'it' has to fit into a rack...I would get a used rackmount server, install Linux and have all the services, that are running the Internet since day 1 - at a minimal cost.

• Bojan Zajc wrote:

I find it a bit strange, when it's first said, that money is a problem, but than you would buy a new switch, just to run a lightweight service, that can be handled even by a $25 RaspberryPi 

That is a very fair point, and if I was going to manage it indefinitely, then it would be the option I would go with for sure.

However, it needs to be something that a general IT tech can come in and work with easily. And, in my experience, a switch with a web GUI will fit that bill nicely. They'll need to make MAC reservations in the future, and as long as the GUI is okay then it's easily do-able. Whereas the Raspberry Pi could be a bit tricky for someone who hasn't used one before.

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • If a GUI is what you need, the Linux server should still meet your needs. You can use something like Webmin to provide a GUI.

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • I would even throw in using something like Pi-Hole https://pi-hole.net/ and get some filtering/reporting along with the DHCP.

Pi-Hole has a DHCP server built-in and doesn't require a real beefy hardware. A spare PC would work.

Read these next...