Home
Join

53 Replies

• Question for our members who are not in the United States; was The Jetsons popular where you live? I'm actually unsure if it was primarily a US audience kind of show or had more global appeal.

Pepper graySpice (20) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • NyQuil chicken isn’t actually a TikTok trend

The FDA doesn't want us to have the unique health benefits of Sleepy Chicken! We will not be stopped though 🤘🏼😂 Just kidding please do not eat this... I think that goes without saying but just in case... 

Pepper graySpice (6) flagReport
  • Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

Question for our members who are not in the United States; was The Jetsons popular where you live? I'm actually unsure if it was primarily a US audience kind of show or had more global appeal.

British child of the 1990s here. I definitely watched it, but it didn't have anywhere near the same cultural impact of The Flintstones. In fact, I think the only Jetsons thing I owned was the VHS of when they crossed-over with The Flintstones.

Also, Niquil Chicken is both safe and delici...zzzzz

Pepper graySpice (13) flagReport
  • So, wather on Earth came from space. So there is no possible way that the key ingredients for water to form on Earth were already here. If there is no way for a planet to naturally have what it needs to form water and that it has to come from some far-off asteroid, how did it come to be in the asteroid?

Pepper graySpice (12) flagReport
  • GuruGabe1 wrote:

So, wather on Earth came from space. So there is no possible way that the key ingredients for water to form on Earth were already here. If there is no way for a planet to naturally have what it needs to form water and that it has to come from some far-off asteroid, how did it come to be in the asteroid?

Pepper graySpice (15) flagReport
  • Am I the only one who is thinking after reading about the spacecraft slamming into an asteroid to deflect it:  "I have a bad feeling about this..."?

Pepper graySpice (19) flagReport
  • The Jetsons was reasonably popular in the UK but they may be due to only having 4 TV channels.

Pepper graySpice (3) flagReport
  • Sorry Sean, spent 35 years in the states before changing continents.  I'm waiting to get my car that folds into my briefcase!  And waiting for the UniBlab Robotic system!    LOL  Spacely's a stoop! And King of the Crabs!

Pepper graySpice (9) flagReport
  • While people may think that the Sleepy Chicken meme isn't a challenge, and it most likely isn't, that probably hasn't stopped a few specially gifted people from trying it anyway.

Pepper graySpice (12) flagReport

Question for our members who are not in the United States; was The Jetsons popular where you live? I'm actually unsure if it was primarily a US audience kind of show or had more global appeal.

I remember the Jetsons being shown on UK TV when I was younger.  It was as popular as any other cartoon of the time I believe such as The Flintstones (although that may have the edge).

• What's TikTok?

A couple hours of social media is all I need per month.

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • As an outside observer who does not use TikTok (and turns into Walt Kowalski from Gran Torino every time I read about or see anything from it) it seems to me like it might be a public health issue lol. I'm fairly internet savvy, young-ish (31 going on 32), and I've never understood the appeal of TikTok at all. Just seems like a massive time waster without much (if any) benefits.

We are aware of The Jetsons in as much as we are aware of the Flintstones (if you're of a certain age).

The people in Dubai don't like the Flintstones, but the people in Abu Dhabi do.

Pepper graySpice (11) flagReport

It was pretty popular in India but if I recall correctly , it used to be on really late at night or during school hours. Popular regardless because the concept was pretty solid. 

Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
  • As a Brit, I saw the Jetsons, and enjoyed it, but it was no Flintstones, despite being an updated version of it. The Flintstones were shown way more often than the Jetsons.

• I want to pause to thank British television for it's contributions to American culture:

The Benny Hill Show, Monty Python, Torchwood, and 12 out of 13 Doctors (not too shabby). 

Pepper graySpice (10) flagReport
  • "The FDA cautions that the practice of misusing nonprescription drugs as part of social media challenges is unsafe."

I think too many warning labels are lowering the collective IQ of humanity.

Why can't we stick to safe dishes like pot brownies and rum ham?

Pepper graySpice (5) flagReport
  • TikTok/viral challenges like this are just survival of the fittest at this point. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes; as they say. 

• CopierGuy310 wrote:

I want to pause to thank British television for it's contributions to American culture:

The Benny Hill Show, Monty Python, Torchwood, and 12 out of 13 Doctors (not too shabby). 

What's wrong with the other two Doctors?

• NyQuil is my best friend when I'm sick. Don't know what's in it that just knocks me out, but I can't feel bad if I'm not awake.

• Test4Echo wrote:

While people may think that the Sleepy Chicken meme isn't a challenge, and it most likely isn't, that probably hasn't stopped a few specially gifted people from trying it anyway.

Darwinism at its best.

Pepper graySpice (4) flagReport
  • delta-sierra_426 wrote:

What's TikTok?

This is as social as I get, Spiceworks and another well known Tech page, and now another because Dabbsy has moved on, you can find him here:

https://autosaveisforwimps.substack.com/Opens a new window

• delta-sierra_426 wrote:

What's TikTok?

Jburdick1213 wrote:

As an outside observer who does not use TikTok (and turns into Walt Kowalski from Gran Torino every time I read about or see anything from it) it seems to me like it might be a public health issue lol. I'm fairly internet savvy, young-ish (31 going on 32), and I've never understood the appeal of TikTok at all. Just seems like a massive time waster without much (if any) benefits.

chivo243 wrote:

delta-sierra_426 wrote:

What's TikTok?

This is as social as I get, Spiceworks and another well known Tech page.

I quit social media many years ago because I could see what it was turning into. They are just platforms for the weak-minded. Tons of people on there trying to get you to do some of the stupidest things like the Tide pod challenge, even if it is just a meme and they don't say to do something.

• Since everything is floating around in space, can't you say that everything got seeded from space?

What if the spacecraft hits the asteroid and it does not have any effect?

Nyquil chicken - Darwin will take care of that.

• Test4Echo wrote:

While people may think that the Sleepy Chicken meme isn't a challenge, and it most likely isn't, that probably hasn't stopped a few specially gifted people from trying it anyway.

And these "gifted" people to which you refer are precisely the reason we have warning labels such as this...

Pepper graySpice (8) flagReport
  • DailyLlama wrote:

CopierGuy310 wrote:

I want to pause to thank British television for it's contributions to American culture:

To be fair, not Jodie's fault. SHE did a good job. But the writing is nowhere near as much fun. I have hopes for Russell T Davies coming back!
  • "NASA gears up to deflect asteroid, in key test of planetary defense"

But China beat NASA in discovering a new mineral from the moon?

• Tiktok trend.  I remember when my peers under 16 would chug Robitussin to get the alcohol buzz.  NyQuil Chicken does not surprise me.

• Ken-ESC7-DMAC wrote:

Since everything is floating around in space, can't you say that everything got seeded from space?

• Jay_Garrick wrote:

Am I the only one who is thinking after reading about the spacecraft slamming into an asteroid to deflect it:  "I have a bad feeling about this..."?

No, you are certainly not.

Ken-ESC7-DMAC wrote:

What if the spacecraft hits the asteroid and it does not have any effect?

That is far better than the impact knocking it off the desired course, or it does go where NASA wants but the unintended consequences set it on a collision course for Earth anyway (either directly or indirectly)...

NyQuil / TikTok challenges: I wish the people responsible for starting these irresponsible/dangerous/illegal trends/challenges would get arrested & prosecuted.

• ATTENTION: Please remove all product warning labels and let survival of the fittest take charge.

Pepper graySpice (6) flagReport
  • GuruGabe1 wrote:

ATTENTION: Please remove all product warning labels and let survival of the fittest take charge.

But how would I know which hair dryer can be used in the shower?

• Jay_Garrick wrote:

Am I the only one who is thinking after reading about the spacecraft slamming into an asteroid to deflect it:  "I have a bad feeling about this..."?

My first thought was do they know something they aren't telling us?

• Jay_Garrick wrote:

I'm thinking it will take some pretty sensitive instruments to detect a deflection.

• Sleepy Chicken that is a scary Idea.

• NyQuil chicken isn’t actually a TikTok trend

Salute to stupid people. Where would we be without you?

• GuruGabe1 wrote:

Ken-ESC7-DMAC wrote:

Since everything is floating around in space, can't you say that everything got seeded from space?

I've been feeling a bit "floaty" lately after consuming some of that sleepy chicken.

• MachoManRandall wrote:

NyQuil chicken isn’t actually a TikTok trend

The FDA doesn't want us to have the unique health benefits of Sleepy Chicken! We will not be stopped though 🤘🏼😂 Just kidding please do not eat this... I think that goes without saying but just in case... 

The amount of acetaminophen that you would ingest from that Nyquil would cook your liver.... That's the main problem with abusing cough medicine. It is true that the dextromethorphan in cough medicine can have hallucinogenic properties (hence the "robo-trip"), but people forget about the amount of acetaminophen in these things, which can totally kill you if you take too much at once.

• CopierGuy310 wrote:

I agree, and I would add Fawlty Towers and Are You Being Served? to that list. Wife wasn't into Monty Python, but she got into Fawlty Towers. Every Friday night we would watch an episode. She also got into watching Are You Being Served? on a regular basis. 

They tried doing an American version of Fawlty Towers, but it sucked. I didn't make it through the 1st episode. 

• I have to admit during the last raging cold I had, Nyquil chicken would have tempted me...LOL

I really hope redirecting that asteroid doesn't upset the alien race we inadvertently aim it at. It's these little misunderstandings that start bug wars...

You know all these guys with the theories - Just because you have some tantalizing suggestive facts doesn't mean that it actually happened that way. After all, I can make the argument with the available facts that aliens dropped off the dinosaurs to kill off mankind... 

You know the difference between a theory and an assumption? 

A theory went to college.

Thanks, I'll show myself out. 

• Jay_Garrick wrote:

Not to worry. I've got Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck on speed dial.

• So, was that drop of water just sitting on the surface of the space rock?

• MachoManRandall wrote:

NyQuil chicken isn’t actually a TikTok trend

I already find myself getting sleepy after eating chicken....

• DailyLlama wrote:

CopierGuy310 wrote:

I took it that he was referring to all but one Doctor being portrayed by Brits.

There have so far been 13 episodic Doctors, of whom one was portrayed by an American, Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor.  There has also been the War Doctor and the Renegade Doctor, both also portrayed by Brits.

There have also been "non-canon" films in which the Doctor was portrayed by ... Brits again.

• "Specks of dust that a Japanese space probe retrieved from an asteroid about 186 million miles (300m kilometres) from Earth have revealed a surprising component: a drop of water.

The discovery offers new support for the theory that life on Earth may have been seeded from outer space."

Give me a break!  Such tenuous theorising ... another example of the "religion" of "science".

"The Jetsons" was reasonably popular here in New Zealand, too ... some quite entertaining characters including George, Jane, Judy, Elroy, Rosie, and even Astro.

We also had "The Flintstones", "Sesame Street", "The Lone Ranger", "The Littlest Hobo", ... and later on, "The Smurfs".

There was also "The Clangers" a long time ago ... another UK treasure.

• Sleepy Chicken wouldn't surprise me, with kids eating Tide Pods and doing other really idiotic things. I know kids have always done stupid things, but with social media and viral videos now we're seeing just how stupid kids can be.

• The Jetsons got way less airtime in Saskatchewan. The Flintstones rock. 

• chrisf7 wrote:

Jay_Garrick wrote:

My first thought was do they know something they aren't telling us?

That is my EVERY thought, period!

Please see my tin foil hat for details.

• Graeme.N wrote:

DailyLlama wrote:

CopierGuy310 wrote:

I took it that he was referring to all but one Doctor being portrayed by Brits.

There have so far been 13 episodic Doctors, of whom one was portrayed by an American, Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor.  There has also been the War Doctor and the Renegade Doctor, both also portrayed by Brits.

There have also been "non-canon" films in which the Doctor was portrayed by ... Brits again.

Paul McGann is definitely a Brit, he has three brothers who are also actors, the single episode was just set in the states!

I'm not sure Russel T Davis coming back will improve things, although he revived it he was also the start of the PC / Woke elements that sometimes spoil it, I remember when it was just a good SciFi romp! What it needs is a Terry Nation clone to get it back to its roots. I didn't really worry too much about the gender or race of the Doctor, I thought it was actually good fun when the Master regenerated as Missy, I just want it to stop being so preachy!

Read these next...

• Simple command to monitor Windows 10 temperature?

Simple command to monitor Windows 10 temperature?

Hardware

I feel like this has probably been address before, although I was wondering if someone is aware of a simple command I can run to report the internal temperature of a Windows 10 PC?I think all computers monitor the temperature, although I've only found thi...

• Remote access to DVR?

Remote access to DVR?

Security

Hi!I have an older Hikvision DVR that I need to provide remote access to. The users would be mainly accessing it from their smartphones. I tested their software, iVMS, by assigning one of my public IP's to the DVR and it worked fine. However the issue is ...

• Snap! -- Survival Kits, Forest Bubble on Mars, AI Movie Plots, Leprosy & Livers

Snap! -- Survival Kits, Forest Bubble on Mars, AI Movie Plots, Leprosy & Livers

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to the Snap! Flashback: Back on December 6, 1907, Mathematical Logician J. Barkley Rosser Born (Read more HERE.) Bonus Flashback: Back on December 6, 1998, International Space Station assemb...

• Spark! Pro Series - 6 December 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 6 December 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Today in History: 6 December 1240 – Mongols led by Batu Khan occupy and destroy Kyiv after an 8 day siege; out of 50,000 people in the city only 2,000 survive 1849 – Harriet Tubman escapes from slavery in Maryl...

• The most boring but interesting Phishing Attempt I've seen

The most boring but interesting Phishing Attempt I've seen

Security

Hello There,We've recently had a phishy email come through to one of our employees with an attachment to something work related. But here's the interesting part: The email was spoofed. When checked, the address was that of our own domain, however the emai...