Home
Join

34 Replies

• slow at what? do we assume windows server is installed (mention of task manager)?

There are many benchmarking tools, some specific to storage etc others more general. But these don't really measure workload performance, they just give a good baseline.

One of these could be used to benchmark the CPU and ram for example and compare to results for the same spec. https://www.passmark.com/products/performancetest/ Opens a new window passmark is one of the most common, crystal disk mark for storage. If you use passmark then you can compare your results against those on https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ Opens a new window for the same CPU.

But depending on what is slow it could be OS, drivers, apps, network etc. So what do you think is slow?

Pepper graySpice (5) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Text
    Can anybody recommend any free benchmarking software that tests the complete system? 

I don't think any FREE benchmarking software shows all the details you required for slowness. If nothing shows in Task manager, find any details in Event viewer. Even recently installed software ( or update ) or any Antivirus, even a misconfiguration or your RAID causes slowness.

• Might want to give the complete specs and list either physical server or using as a virtual host.

• It's slow in the sense that you click on the start menu and it takes x4 the amount of time it would normally to open it.  Or if you want to open event viewer it takes ages to open the snapin.  It's slow all round really. 

The reason I'm looking for some software is that I think I could find out quicker which element of the system is causing the bottleneck. I've already spent a lot of time troubleshooting the disks but not really got anywhere with that. 

• Denis Kelley not really.  Is there any way a new DL380 G10 could be such a low spec it would run Windows Server 2019! 

• Really depends, Try running SAP or Oracle on that box with 16GB of RAM and 3 7200RPM SATA drives in RAID5 and call me back.

Is it physical. Are you running a VM. What storage, RAM, and RAID are you using. It does matter.

Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
  • With it being a new server, is there anything configured on it yet? If not, and you have the ability to, I'd just nuke it and reinstall the ISO and see if that helps rather than digging. May save you time in the long run if it does resolve your issue.

Pepper graySpice (3) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Reading through this thread the OP seems evasive about providing details. Why?

Pepper graySpice (4) flagReport
    2 of 4 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Denis Kelley​ nothing... it's a blank server.  64gb / twin proc silver

0 of 5 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • sudo su Selorex​ yeah, does seem like a good suggestion.  

The Repairatrooper​ instead of being suspicious consider the possibility that there's nothing more to tell.  What are you expecting... er yeah I'm running weather modeling and it's a single bronze with 8gb ram? 

0 of 4 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Good luck in finding what you seek.

2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Denis Kelley​ - benchmarking software.  Do you know of any? 

0 of 3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • you-can-call-me-al wrote:

sudo su Selorex​ yeah, does seem like a good suggestion.  

The Repairatrooper​ instead of being suspicious consider the possibility that there's nothing more to tell.  What are you expecting... er yeah I'm running weather modeling and it's a single bronze with 8gb ram? 

Weather modeling?! Tell me more!!

• sudo su Selorex​  https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/what/technology/supercomputerOpens a new window 

• Is your Server 2019 on bare metal or a VM? If virtual, how many vCPUs are set? 

• I would take the ram out and boot it with only a single stick at at a time. maybe you have a bad piece of memory.

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • Take a look at BIOS settings too.  Set Power settings to Max Power profile.  

Sub NUMA threading (or whatever that is called).  We had to turn that off for some high transaction VMs on ESXi

Make sure you are using HPE drivers

• Novabench

I used that years ago for something.  And I'm probably going to need it again in the near future.

Seemed fairly simple and straight forward at the time.

Denis Kelley​ - benchmarking software.  Do you know of any? 

People are asking you to clarify things so that they can try to understand, and with their collective experience (presumably why you came here to ask), to point you in what is hopefully the correct direction.

Your responses, thus far, have been (at least to me) rather dismissive.  Not a good way to get others interested in helping you.

You think "there's nothing more to tell", maybe also reflect on why do we keep asking?

• jcox11​ - a physical server, no VMs. Windows Server 2019

phildrew​ - naa... I was asking for benchmarking software.  Other people have interpreted that as me requesting help solving the problem, which I never asked for. Hence dismissive of anything which is off topic.  

I can look at Novabench, passmark and CPU benchmark as they have been the suggestions so far. 

At the end of the day I'm getting no error messages and the OS itself isn't showing anything in the performance monitoring to show excessive use by the OS or any drivers etc. So where do you go after that?  I only have remote access to it so can't really pull out parts for testing like that.  But ultimately if I can't get anywhere at software level I might have to go to it and have a physical appraisal. 

0 of 2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • +1 for the Passmark and CrystalDisk. Had a "slow" engineering workstation that turned out to be an NVMe drive slowly cooking itself due to an improperly installed heatsink from the factory.

• While it's more for load than for benchmarking, worth looking at LiveOptics to get some real-time stats. https://www.liveoptics.com/Opens a new window

• We had similar issues on our Gen10s and the power profile was set to Dynamic instead of Static High, nice thing is that you can change this in the ILO under Power and Thermal, Power settings. 

• You mentioned it is remote, what are you using to access it remotely? Have you considered the possibility that the latency between you and the server is what is making it seem slow?

phildrew - naa... I was asking for benchmarking software.  Other people have interpreted that as me requesting help solving the problem, which I never asked for. Hence dismissive of anything which is off topic.  

At the end of the day I'm getting no error messages and the OS itself isn't showing anything in the performance monitoring to show excessive use by the OS or any drivers etc. So where do you go after that?

LOL!

Apparently, where I go is nowhere, as it's "off topic".

Best of luck finding a free benchmark tool.

• https://www.userbenchmark.com/SoftwareOpens a new window

Userbenchmark is one I use often. It tests a bunch of things in the one run, although it is aimed at the gamer it is also useful for just a quick full system check. 

You will also see how your hardware compares to other system of the same spec, and then a global average. 

It's slow in the sense that you click on the start menu and it takes x4 the amount of time it would normally to open it.  Or if you want to open event viewer it takes ages to open the snapin.  It's slow all round really. 

The reason I'm looking for some software is that I think I could find out quicker which element of the system is causing the bottleneck. I've already spent a lot of time troubleshooting the disks but not really got anywhere with that. 

So, UI slow but could be disk access from the sound of it.  A couple of questions:

1) Are you physically on the box doing this or remoting in?

2) While this is a server and video drivers are probably very basic, have you verified the latest drivers are on it?  I'm going to assume the machine is factory new and should have come with the latest on it, but you never know.

3) Was anything changed since it was new?  e.g. memory added, drive config altered, etc.

4) What resolution is the monitor you're using?  Is it a basic FHD or something else?

5) Are there any mapped drives or shares it may be checking that aren't available?  While this usually affects file explorer, I've seen it mess with the Windows menus as well.

5) Any "fancy pants" stuff going on in the Windows menu?  Is it getting a weather forecast or something like that which could be sluggish to respond?

6) What are you using to click on it?  Likely a mouse, but wondering if there is a KVM or anything in between.

• Another +1 for www.CPUbenckmark,netOpens a new window

I used to do file copies in explorer on new servers to benchmark. But starting in Server 2016 those got real slow when doing lots of small files due to malware scanning that is difficult to disable. So now I make one large file for that test. My experience is that the newer windows servers are slower at the UI but YMMV.

It's slow in the sense that you click on the start menu and it takes x4 the amount of time it would normally to open it.  Or if you want to open event viewer it takes ages to open the snapin.  It's slow all round really. 

That sounds base -- hardware level... wrong kind of RAM? Video? PSU? Loose cable? Hard drive errors? BIOS setting? Firewall? Malware app trying to control too much? 

Maybe some HW that Windows is trying loop-wise to identify or update... I'd pull the network and see if it speeds up (so it can't "phone home").

Maybe put a second HDD in, install Server or another OS and try that. Known good components to identify the bad ones.

New Windows update recently that could have buggared something?

My first advice to folks buying a new system who say it's slow is to let it do its gargantuan Windows updates... but I think you're above that level. And with your system, it shouldn't take hours and hours anyway...

I'd be entirely upset with a new server and that much RAM being so slow. I've got systems over a decade (2+ decades) old that still aren't "slow".

• Dude that's awesome, as a storm chaser I'd like some status updates when you get this thing running lol.

If reinstalling the iso doesn't work, I'd look at hardware being an issue, take her to barebones and add one component at a time until it acts like it is now. Goodluck and I look forward to hearing about the outcome!

• It appears to be DL380 Gen 10 Windows File Solution with the following specs or very similar: 1 HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 4210R   1 P 32GB-R P408i-a NC 8SFF 800W PS Server     1 Microsoft Windows Server 2019 (16-Core) Standard Reseller Option Kit English SW      1 HPE 32GB (1x32GB) Dual Rank x4 DDR4-2933 CAS-21-21-21 Registered Smart Memory Kit    1 HPE 800W Flex Slot Platinum Hot Plug Low Halogen Power Supply Kit    2 HPE 240GB SATA 6G Read Intensive SFF SC Multi Vendor SSD   4 HPE 2.4TB SAS 12G Mission Critical 10K SFF SC 3-year Warranty 512e Multi Vendor HDD.

Since it should be under warranty (?) then perhaps a call to HPE to see what they suggest is a logical step.

• So what happens when you run benchmarking software and find no problem, where next?

Putting that to one side, have you tried another OS or live Linux disk to see how it behaves, rule out the OS/AV/GPO before you start wanting to see how fast it crunches data.

• Another Vote for benchmarking most likely won't help you find the problem. Definitely suggest reinstalling OS or trying a linux build to test to see if its just that windows install.

• Well, OP, I can see you don't give a rat's butt about anyone's suggestion of how to improve performance.  Nonetheless, I feel compelled to offer my two cents.  I employ a Start Menu replacement because I can't stand the menus above Win7/Win2003.  In my case, there's a pretty big lag RIGHT after boot-up for accessing the Start Menu or MMC.  Is *that* what you're seeing?  Or is the lag ANY time you access any of those things?  

Also, assuming that you're a seasoned Windows admin, you should remember that Windows spends a LOT of time/cycles worrying about Windows Update and running the "Antimalware Service Executable", especially after boot-up.  

As for benchmarking software, I got nothing for you.  I don't think that's a good place for you to start, either, given that your baseline is going to be garbage.  But you do you.

Read these next...

• Simple command to monitor Windows 10 temperature?

Simple command to monitor Windows 10 temperature?

Hardware

I feel like this has probably been address before, although I was wondering if someone is aware of a simple command I can run to report the internal temperature of a Windows 10 PC?I think all computers monitor the temperature, although I've only found thi...

• Remote access to DVR?

Remote access to DVR?

Security

Hi!I have an older Hikvision DVR that I need to provide remote access to. The users would be mainly accessing it from their smartphones. I tested their software, iVMS, by assigning one of my public IP's to the DVR and it worked fine. However the issue is ...

• Snap! -- Survival Kits, Forest Bubble on Mars, AI Movie Plots, Leprosy & Livers

Snap! -- Survival Kits, Forest Bubble on Mars, AI Movie Plots, Leprosy & Livers

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to the Snap! Flashback: Back on December 6, 1907, Mathematical Logician J. Barkley Rosser Born (Read more HERE.) Bonus Flashback: Back on December 6, 1998, International Space Station assemb...

• Spark! Pro Series - 6 December 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 6 December 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Today in History: 6 December 1240 – Mongols led by Batu Khan occupy and destroy Kyiv after an 8 day siege; out of 50,000 people in the city only 2,000 survive 1849 – Harriet Tubman escapes from slavery in Maryl...

• The most boring but interesting Phishing Attempt I've seen

The most boring but interesting Phishing Attempt I've seen

Security

Hello There,We've recently had a phishy email come through to one of our employees with an attachment to something work related. But here's the interesting part: The email was spoofed. When checked, the address was that of our own domain, however the emai...