Join

35 Replies

• Step 1.   Update Chrome - Check!

Step 2.   Finish reading Snap! - Check!

Step 3.   Post steps 1 and 2 - Check!

Spice (15) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Microsoft Employees Exposed Own Company’s Internal Logins

Wow, you can't trust anyone these days, lol.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • The positive is that Chrome makes updates seamless. However, I definitely have some users that never close their browser even though there is a honkin' update icon next to their address bar. 
    On that note, I recently had a user whose machine's uptime was ~70 days. So they somehow got missed during our patches (fixed) and their definition of shutting down their computer was locking it (hopefully fixed but not holding my breath).
    Spice (4) flagReport
  • Thanks for the heads-up, just pushed the updated version of Chrome out to my users!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Microsoft Employees Exposed Own Company’s Internal Logins - I'm not picking on Microsoft, because they're not the only large company that continues to be plagued with events like this.   It goes to show how difficult implementing information security is.

I have no doubt Microsoft has multiple documented security policies following "best practices" which should have prevented this.  As a result of this exposure, new policies will probably be published.   But there has to be a disconnect between policy and reality, and as long as the disconnect exists, I think events such as this will continue.

Edited to add: Maybe the next fortune to be made in IT, is not development or refinement of policies, but finding a way to consistently and efficiently make existing policies become reality.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • With the number of development stories that banter around billion dollar price tags, it is nice to hear that NASA spent a conservative 50 million on a new chip. Never thought the day would come when I thought 50 million was a good deal.

Spice (8) flagReport
  • Something about the language used in that Register article about Discord... it doesn't flow very well... the sentence structure is weird... 

and faffing??? how very... British. LOL

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Super disk made in cloud....soooo UFO?

Spice (8) flagReport
  • New Google Chrome Zero-Day Vulnerability Being Exploited in the Wild: Hackers keep throwing rocks and chipping the Chrome.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • The κ-Cygnid meteor shower reaches its peak on Aug. 18.
    "Up to three meteors per hour will be visible, according to In-The-Sky.org

Ahhh so 3 wishes per hour! 🤔 I like my odds! Better start scheming my wishes now 😅

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Oh good, Microsoft sabotaging Bitlocked computers. This should be fun....

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Chrome update complete.

• Microsoft, the gift that keeps on giving!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Windows KB5012170 update causing BitLocker recovery screens, boot issues

I turned on Active Directory Storage of Bitlocker keys a couple weeks ago I am so glad I did!!!! Already saved 3 people!

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I knew there was a reason I avoid Bit Locker.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • NASA uses occult means to spot tiny moon orbiting asteroid

So, what, a Ouija Board?

Spice (9) flagReport
  • When are they going to invent clear cubes as computers like in the movies?

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Cool read about Discord, never thought about that until now.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Nerf_Herder wrote:

When are they going to invent clear cubes as computers like in the movies?

I'm still waiting for this computer.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • MS doing MS things.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • So KB5012170 vs Bitlocker seems to only be a problem on Windows 11 computers.  We're good here then.  :)

• meh... the superdisk is old news...

SuperDisk - Wikipedia

I am being facetious to those who want to point out that this is NOT the superdisk the article is about. 

Spice (6) flagReport
  • "Up to three meteors per hour will be visible".  This sounds like not a lot to me.  I could easily miss all three every hour.

Cube space computers?  That's how the Borg started.

• " Windows users who have installed a new KB5012170 security update for Secure Boot have encountered various issues, ranging from boots failing with BitLocker Recovery prompts to performance issues."

You WILL accept Bitlocker...

• Discord is alien technology, this Snap! verifies it

Spice (1) flagReport
  • CaptRobvious wrote:

Discord is alien technology, this Snap! verifies it

Aliens have provided us with all of our technology and advancements. How else can you explain how quickly we have advanced from simple cave dwellers?

Sean (Spiceworks)​ Insert your meme here

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Might have to look out for some meteors this evening ... maybe see if Bruce Willis is trying to blow any of them up.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • $50 million for a processor? Inflation on PC parts has gotten insane! 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • And this topic has tipped my "Subscribed" list ...

... to 1000! 🎉 🎇 🎉 🎇 🎉

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Saw the report in Defender about the Chrome update and was able to start updating in the head office. Now the fun begins where I can get Chrome to update via Intune automatically so it free's up more of my time for other things on the network.

I think this is more realistic for most of us before we get to the type of computer that GuruGabe1​ posted but we can wish and hope we just automatically get upgraded 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Chrome update pushed out, thanks!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Well, Asteroids with Moons is a cool thing!

As for 3 meteors an hour, doesn't sound like a meteor storm to me - I wonder what the average is when not in a "meteor storm"?  Probably about the same or more?

And Occult?  so Nasa are consulting the dark arts now?  50 points to Slytherin!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Am I the only one who thinks that its weird that NASA creates their own processors? Whatsamatter NASA you no trust Intel/AMD, and foxcon chipsets? 

• SHNOOL wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that its weird that NASA creates their own processors? Whatsamatter NASA you no trust Intel/AMD, and foxcon chipsets? 

Specially designed to work in the environment that is space ... not just a matter of zero-G, but also other radiation considerations, etc.

It might seem strange on the surface, but when you consider the operating environment parameters, there are significant differences to our ground-based operating environment(s).

Admittedly, while there is probably a reasonable chance most off-the-rack CPUs would be OK, there is a higher level of uncertainty than what they are willing to risk lives with (or so it would seem).

• Graeme.N wrote:

SHNOOL wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks that its weird that NASA creates their own processors? Whatsamatter NASA you no trust Intel/AMD, and foxcon chipsets? 

Specially designed to work in the environment that is space ... not just a matter of zero-G, but also other radiation considerations, etc.

It might seem strange on the surface, but when you consider the operating environment parameters, there are significant differences to our ground-based operating environment(s).

Admittedly, while there is probably a reasonable chance most off-the-rack CPUs would be OK, there is a higher level of uncertainty than what they are willing to risk lives with (or so it would seem).

And you can't simply send a technician to the device of an unmanned mission many hundred million kms away for replacing a too damaged CPU.

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...