Home
Join
check
  • See my response in bold below, hope this helps.

1) Define VLANs
    VLAN 1 for" Data"  (Where ever you create this VLAN, make sure your also setup DHCP server forwarder config)
    VLAN 2 for "Phones"  (Where ever you create this VLAN, make sure your also setup DHCP server forwarder config)

2) Windows Server 2019 DHCP
    - Configured DHCP Scopes:
      1-Data, 192.168.1.0/24 - and - 2-Phones, 192.168.2.0/24
    - Create DHCP Global Options for "132: Yealink 132"
    - Bind DHCP Scope to a NIC (Is this step even necessary for my use case?) (Step 1 should take care of this)

3) Cisco SG switches (24-port, PoE)
    - two switches daisy-chained to each other, both switches in same building, floor one, floor 2  (Make sure there is a trunk connection between your switches)
    - Configure the VLANs: 1-data and 2-phone  (On all switches)
    - Access ports vs trunk ports come into play? (If you plan on daisy chaining your desktop to pass thru port of  your VOIP phone then port should be trunk port)
    - tagged/untagged come into play?
    - Do I need to configure the individual ports on the switch? (They need to be trunk port if ports are connecting to the phone and then to your desktop)

4) SonicWall Router/Firewall
    - Anything to configure here? (IP Helper, DHCP Relay, etc) (Not sure how this firewall plays role on your network?)

5) Yealink VoIP phones
    - three-way switch is inside phone
    - CDP or other Discovery Protocol in use? (Should not apply to you)
    - will daisy chain the desktop computer(s) through the 'PC' port on the back of the physical phone; (This should work as long as trunk port is coming into your phone)
    'Internet' port on physical phone will be connected (network cable) to the wall drop (connecting back to the Cisco switch)
    - Anything to configure inside the phone itself? (Phone needs to be configured for appropriate VLAN so it can get IP address of that VLAN)

Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

6 Replies

• See my response in bold below, hope this helps.

1) Define VLANs
      VLAN 1 for" Data"  (Where ever you create this VLAN, make sure your also setup DHCP server forwarder config)
      VLAN 2 for "Phones"  (Where ever you create this VLAN, make sure your also setup DHCP server forwarder config)

2) Windows Server 2019 DHCP
      - Configured DHCP Scopes:
        1-Data, 192.168.1.0/24 - and - 2-Phones, 192.168.2.0/24
      - Create DHCP Global Options for "132: Yealink 132"
      - Bind DHCP Scope to a NIC (Is this step even necessary for my use case?) (Step 1 should take care of this)

- two switches daisy-chained to each other, both switches in same building, floor one, floor 2  (Make sure there is a trunk connection between your switches)
      - Configure the VLANs: 1-data and 2-phone  (On all switches)
      - Access ports vs trunk ports come into play? (If you plan on daisy chaining your desktop to pass thru port of  your VOIP phone then port should be trunk port)
      - Do I need to configure the individual ports on the switch? (They need to be trunk port if ports are connecting to the phone and then to your desktop)

- Anything to configure here? (IP Helper, DHCP Relay, etc) (Not sure how this firewall plays role on your network?)

5) Yealink VoIP phones
      - CDP or other Discovery Protocol in use? (Should not apply to you)
      - will daisy chain the desktop computer(s) through the 'PC' port on the back of the physical phone; (This should work as long as trunk port is coming into your phone)
      'Internet' port on physical phone will be connected (network cable) to the wall drop (connecting back to the Cisco switch)
      - Anything to configure inside the phone itself? (Phone needs to be configured for appropriate VLAN so it can get IP address of that VLAN)

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Following Sanpatels good advice, Just some specifics to your use of yealink and cisco SG switches. 

placing phones in a vlan does not itself improve qos (or even make it work). but it potentially makes it simpler to implement. There will be no LAN qos queuing or priority unless you configure qos on the switches - one method is to use the voice vlan feature (see below). It is very important that the phone system configuration is setting the phones to mark packets with the relevant marking - and for you to know what this is and check the switch is using it. typically this will be dscp or cos markings.

Voice vlan feature - enabling this makes things a little simpler - you enable it and set the vlan id for voice (e.g. 2). These switches can autodetect phones using multiple methods - the simplest of which is to use lldp-med, this will tell the phone which vlan to use. (your dhcp option may also do this). then you need the smart port macro for phone and PC to be enabled, or set all ports to voice vlan 2. check the qos settings - by defualt it will trust dscp (i think). 

• m@ttshaw​ " placing phones in a vlan does not itself improve qos (or even make it work)"... gotcha. Thank you. I will look into "voice vlan feature" on the SG350 switches. dscp and cos are not familar terms, so I'll need to research further.

Side note: the other reason, besides QoS, that I want another VLAN (and subnet) is for administrative purposes: I want the computers and phones on their own different subnets.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
    • A brief overview of 'qos' in this scenario is:
      packets coming from the phone can be marked so that other devices know what type of traffic it is. The switch must as a minimum accept this marking (by default some remove it). Optionally it can use it to help with quality - it does this by prioritizing, queuing etc based on the marking. The traffic can leave the switch and another device can also use the markings - e.g. firewall. Note the internet does not use the markings.

A common mistake is assuming that all vendors use the same settings - they do not, but they usually roughly work. It is important to understand what marking is assigned to the voice media - this is usually mapped to the "priority" queue (given highest preference).
      Currently do you have multiple internal vlans? I will assume not.
      When you add new vlans - these need to be routed to the existing network, or to the firewall. The simplest solution for your phone vlan is to add this to the firewall as a second vlan interface. phones will use the sonicwall new vlan interface as their default gateway.
      If you do not do this - you will need to implement a layer 3 switched network - the switch will become the main router and then pass to firewall for external. This is unnecessary as there is little need for phones and computers to communicate.
      Spice (1) flagReport
    • Sanpatel wrote:

[..]

1) Define VLANs

KS-Q: So I'll need to set up DHCP server forwarded on the Cisco SG350 switch, correct? Is that similar to or a type of IP Helper?

- two switches daisy-chained to each other, both switches in same building, floor one, floor 2  (Make sure there is a trunk connection between your switches) A: Yes, I have a trunk port connection between the two switches.
      - Configure the VLANs: 1-data and 2-phone  (On all switches) KS: OK!
      - Access ports vs trunk ports come into play? (If you plan on daisy chaining your desktop to pass thru port of  your VOIP phone then port should be trunk port) KS: OK!
      KS:
      OK!

5) Yealink VoIP phones
      - CDP or other Discovery Protocol in use? (Should not apply to you) KS: OK!
      - will daisy chain the desktop computer(s) through the 'PC' port on the back of the physical phone; (This should work as long as trunk port is coming into your phone) KS: OK!
      and 'Internet' port on physical phone will be connected (network cable) to the wall drop (connecting back to the Cisco switch)
      KS:
      So I will need to manually go into each individual phone's web-portal (URL) and configure the correct VLAN? That config info can't come from the DHCP server when it hands the phone an IP address release?

Sanpatel, thank you for taking the time to share a lengthy response! Much appreciated! :)

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
    • See my response in bold below.

1) Define VLANs
      VLAN 1 for" Data"  (Where ever you create this VLAN, make sure your also setup DHCP server forwarder config)
      VLAN 2 for "Phones"  (Where ever you create this VLAN, make sure your also setup DHCP server forwarder config)

KS-Q: So I'll need to set up DHCP server forwarded on the Cisco SG350 switch, correct? Is that similar to or a type of IP Helper? Typically, your DHCP server is connected to your core switch.  Core switch is where you configure you data and voice VLAN.  You need to setup your DHCP forwarded or IP helper on core switch, this should flow over to rest of the switches.  IP helper or DHCP forwarder different term from different vendors concept is the same.

- two switches daisy-chained to each other, both switches in same building, floor one, floor 2  (Make sure there is a trunk connection between your switches) A: Yes, I have a trunk port connection between the two switches.
      - Configure the VLANs: 1-data and 2-phone  (On all switches) KS: OK!
      - Access ports vs trunk ports come into play? (If you plan on daisy chaining your desktop to pass thru port of your VOIP phone then port should be trunk port) KS: OK!
      KS: OK!

5) Yealink VoIP phones
      - CDP or other Discovery Protocol in use? (Should not apply to you) KS: OK!
      - will daisy chain the desktop computer(s) through the 'PC' port on the back of the physical phone; (This should work as long as trunk port is coming into your phone) KS: OK!
      and 'Internet' port on physical phone will be connected (network cable) to the wall drop (connecting back to the Cisco switch)
      KS: So I will need to manually go into each individual phone's web-portal (URL) and configure the correct VLAN? That config info can't come from the DHCP server when it hands the phone an IP address release?  You can also configure your phones using program buttons on the phone to setup your VLAN on your phone. You may want to configure your phone prior to shipping your phones to your users

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...