Home
Join
check
  • Hi Jono, sorry for delay getting back to you. Update for this issue: Our office build was fairly old and updates would not work, so I uninstalled O365 apps from one of our RDS servers. I reinstalled using the ODT and set up the XML for shared activation and the semiannual updates. I then logged on as an affected user and Outlook connected immediately to the online mailbox. I have performed the same on all RDS servers and RemoteApp server and everything is working again. I don't know why the problem affected our users in batches - we averaged 4 - 7 extra users per day being affected.

Anyway, sorted now. Thanks very much for your help and suggestions - it assisted us in ruling things out as we looked at the problem. 

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

18 Replies

• How are the users directories getting created on the terminal server - roaming profile, fslogix or static ? 

They should have a directory containing the OST and NST files

\\YOURSERVER\c$\Users\USERNAMET\UserData\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.

Are they getting a temporary profile on login ? 

• Office 365 Business Premium is not licensed for Shared Access, which is required for RDS Office 365 deployment.  There is a grace period of 120 days for someone to use the functionality but once that is over if there are no CAL licenses on the device to hand out or the user does not have one assigned to them, Office 365 will no longer operate its apps over RDP.

This could be the issue.  Some details here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-client-access-lic... and here as well https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2152437-remote-desktop-cals-and-office-365-business-premium#:~:text=O365%20Pro%20Plus%20or%20E3,Office%20on%20the%20RDS%20server).

Spice (3) flagReport
    • Hi Jono,

Thanks for getting back to me.
      The user profiles are roaming (defined in GP: AppData(Roaming) / Setting: Basic (Redirect everyone's folder to the same location):

We use folder redirection to point to our file server which contains user profiles disks and user redirected folders.
      Affected users don't get a temp profile when logging in - they get their desktop, documents and everything else as normal.

• Hi Naron5,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure this is the issue. We went to Business Premium specifically to facilitate RDS about 2.5 years ago. It still looks like a suitable license as per the MS doco here:  Deploy Microsoft 365 Apps by using Remote Desktop Services - Deploy Office | Microsoft Docs

Also - this issue only affects the user's Outlook client in RDS - all other O365 apps are working fine within the session (and we can sign them in and out of O365 apps on RDS without any problems).

Spice (1) flagReport
      1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Corruption of the Navigation Pane 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/154274/cannot-start-microsoft-outlookcannot-open-...

• Hi Jono,

Our file path for that is  \\FileServer\D:\User Profile Disks\UVHD-X-X-X-XX-XXXXXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

• Hi Jono,

From the users RDP session, we did try the outlook.exe /resetnavpane, but received the same error "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened."

When we tried to open in Safe Mode (outlook.exe /safe), we receive a similar error: "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened."

Not sure how to run the SCANPST.EXE tool for an RDS user....

• To run SCANPST  you can navigate to the Users directory (they cannot be logged in and it takes a few hours normally) 

Normally the UPD is copied to the Terminal Server (on login)  rather than direct to the UPD as this makes it faster  

eg \\YOURSERVER\c$\Users\USERNAME\UserData\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook directory

• Often it is quicker to create a new Mail Profile and re-sync

• Hi Jono,

I tried to create a new mail profile from the user's RDS session, but the resync fails with this error:

• Hi Jono,

I'm still not sure about this.

- the UPD is on the file server & there is no MS office installation on that machine, so I can't mount the UPD locally on the FS and then run the scanpst.exe from that server.

- should I copy the UPD to one of our 3 RDS servers manually, mount it and then run the scanpst.exe?

• I would hit the Troubleshoot

You should be able to mount the drive - map a drive letter if required or use the administrative share and run SCANPST from another server by navigating to it 

• Hi Jono,

The data file location shows as "online", and there is nothing on the local UPD that I can run the SCANPST.EXE against.

We are wondering if this is an Outlook autodiscover issue - I am seeing other posts with similar symptoms, though the fixes for those were DNS or user object attribute related.

• Check on another user that you can see the YourUser\UserData\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook  directory, you should see the Users NST and OST files there.

Make a backup of the 'faulty' and rename it and let it create a new one.

• Hi Jono, sorry for delay getting back to you. Update for this issue: Our office build was fairly old and updates would not work, so I uninstalled O365 apps from one of our RDS servers. I reinstalled using the ODT and set up the XML for shared activation and the semiannual updates. I then logged on as an affected user and Outlook connected immediately to the online mailbox. I have performed the same on all RDS servers and RemoteApp server and everything is working again. I don't know why the problem affected our users in batches - we averaged 4 - 7 extra users per day being affected.

Anyway, sorted now. Thanks very much for your help and suggestions - it assisted us in ruling things out as we looked at the problem. 

• There is also an ongoing issue with Outlook connecting to O365 to be aware of

Some users may be unable to sign into Microsoft 365 desktop applications and encounter errors - MO414814

• Plus this will mean the Office software on your RDS will auto-update itself now going forwards. 

• spicehead-d5an5​ Thanks for this.  Been through the same pain.  Was hoping to resolve it without the reinstall, but it was necessary.

Read these next...