Home
Join

5 Replies

• If it's like some other firewalls I recall, the RX/TX should drop to 0 indicating no traffic is coming in or out of it. I see in sonicwall its referred to as bcastrRx and bcastTx in the Log Event Message Index. 

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • spicerenegade wrote:

Hello all. Im pretty grey with SonicWalls and wondered what the log would look like when the internet goes down. Anyone know?

Grey or not - unplug the Internet cable and find out for your own, how it looks like.

When managing a firewall, you must also be prepare to do some experimenting on your own, else you will stay 'grey' forever.

A lot of the experimenting can be done without hurting everyday work, the rest stays for after-hours.

Just don't forget to make backups before you start playing. AND.....learn how to do a full reset and restore from the backup

It's good to have a backup, but it's even better to know how to use it ;)

Usually a complete reset and restore (e.g. when you manage to lock yourself out of the device) can be done in minutes (at least on my WatchGuard firewall - so I guess, SonicWall is not that much different).

Spice (1) flagReport
  • There are many causes to 'internet loss" and thy may each look different in logs - if they show at all.

if the interface goes down the firewall will know about this and log it. IF using ppoe it may know when down.

But if it connects to another router/ont etc it may not know when the internet is down. To detect internet loss in these scenarios (and useful anyway) configure a network probe that checks an internet host is reachable. This will log when down.

• We have 2 ISP, and have our SonicWall set to fail over when the primary goes down.

I set this up on my SonicWall It sends me an email when it fails over.

SonicWall Alert if WAN link goes down.

Not sure if that would help you or not.

Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • m@ttshaw wrote:

There are many causes to 'internet loss" and thy may each look different in logs - if they show at all.

if the interface goes down the firewall will know about this and log it. IF using ppoe it may know when down.

But if it connects to another router/ont etc it may not know when the internet is down. To detect internet loss in these scenarios (and useful anyway) configure a network probe that checks an internet host is reachable. This will log when down.

SD-WAN options will also act like a probe. At least on my WatchGuard, it measures loss, latency and jitter:

I'd suppose, that SonicWall also has something similar...?

Read these next...

• Cloud storage to share video files 5TB and larger

Cloud storage to share video files 5TB and larger

Data Storage, Backup & Recovery

I assisting a company that is looking for cloud storage for large video files so they can upload the videos at one site and download them at another.The current solution is manually shipping usb hard drives with the video files which are around 5TB or lar...

• Spark! Pro Series - 28th September 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 28th September 2022

Water Cooler

Today in History: 1980 Carl Sagan's 13 part "Cosmos" premieres on PBSAstronomer Carl Sagan's landmark 13-part science series takes you on an awe-inspiring cosmic journey to the edge of the Universe and back aboard the spaceship of the imagination.The seri...

• Win 10 Lock screen showing wrong name, after name change

Win 10 Lock screen showing wrong name, after name change

Windows

I have a strange thing happening with a remote laptop after I changed her name.So, everything is changed in AD and setup correctly.  So, I like to simplify things for my users so when i change names I do the following: change names in AD username email ...

• Best Practice Enterprise Wiping Devices Before New User

Best Practice Enterprise Wiping Devices Before New User

Windows

Hello all.As I am sitting here wiping laptops for one of my sites, in preparation for any new users that start.I got to thinking, what is the best practice for re-deploying previously used laptops in an enterprise environment? I was curious how ya'll hand...

• Tech & End User Expectations

Tech & End User Expectations

Best Practices & General IT

Hey all!We are an IT team of 10 in a school district, and there have been some recent (and not so recent) issues with techs being snarky, end users being snarky, etc.We are trying to turn a new leaf, and want to come up with a set of expectations for the ...