Home
Join
check
  • AndyTechAcct wrote:

Could the port be tagged incorrectly where the camera is plugged in? I would try unplugging the wireless adapter you just connected, and see if you can plug the camera into that port and see if it comes online.

Well, that camera is mounted far away from the camera server...

So by giving the camera server a new MAC Address via the wireless adapter, it could now get to the TREE and then to the camera. 

But I am worried this could come back again...and I am going to go put a new ethernet card in it today. I just did the wireless last night for a quick and easy test. 

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

5 Replies

• Tried running a packet capture tool like Wireshark to see if ARP packets broadcast by the problematic device correctly? Network devices should have MAC addresses of each other to be able to ping each other.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • EminentX wrote:

Tried running a packet capture tool like Wireshark to see if ARP packets broadcast by the problematic device correctly? Network devices should have MAC addresses of each other to be able to ping each other.

As a One-Person IT shop, Wireshark is one of my weakest areas. Not even sure what I'll be looking for.

I've been challenged to fix this tonight but only have remote access to the camera server that is not pinging the TREE. 

• Well, on a whim, I went out to this location, plugged in a wireless adapter with the existing IP Info and bam, the camera server could see the TREE, GATE SWITCH and ultimately, the camera. 

So I guess next is to find out why this was the fix and narrow down on the permanent solution. 

• Could the port be tagged incorrectly where the camera is plugged in? I would try unplugging the wireless adapter you just connected, and see if you can plug the camera into that port and see if it comes online.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • AndyTechAcct wrote:

Could the port be tagged incorrectly where the camera is plugged in? I would try unplugging the wireless adapter you just connected, and see if you can plug the camera into that port and see if it comes online.

Well, that camera is mounted far away from the camera server...

So by giving the camera server a new MAC Address via the wireless adapter, it could now get to the TREE and then to the camera. 

But I am worried this could come back again...and I am going to go put a new ethernet card in it today. I just did the wireless last night for a quick and easy test. 

Read these next...