Home
Join
check
  • enyr0py wrote:

I see a Belkin brand on Amazon and will try swapping them out for Belkin.

Ethernet couplers are crap, no matter the brand. If it is not possible to solder the wires directly, I would highly recommend installing an inexpensive ethernet switch there to connect the cables.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

12 Replies

• enyr0py wrote:

I've set up a continuous ping to the machine to see if operation of the Thermatron correlates to the signal loss.

That sounds like a good idea.

enyr0py wrote:

I'm really just wondering if this is a possible explanation for my troubles. Anyone encountered this?

Given that I've always read/been told to avoid fluorescent ballasts when running cable, something like that seems possible to me.  By any chance, does the network cable run parallel to the thermatron's power supply conduit at some point?

I'm subscribing to learn what others have to say.  I think there are many people around with a lot of knowledge in this area.

Edit: One other thing,  if possible, you can also try moving the switch end of the cable to a different port.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Interference is common in industrial/plant areas etc where electrical machinery is present.

What type of ethernet connection does the PC have? e.g. direct cable to the switch, or patch lead to a wall point? and for both cables what type e.g. cat5e utp or stp etc.

Some form of shielded cable is recommended in these environments : https://www.cablesandkits.com/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-utp-stp-ftp-sftp

Spice (3) flagReport
    • Induction can be super hard to pinpoint. Replace that cable with a shielded industrial. I have had this issue before. The shielded cable is a great start.

Spice (2) flagReport
    • enyr0py wrote:

I've set up a continuous ping to the machine to see if operation of the Thermatron correlates to the signal loss.
      • And what is your observation?
      • Could you correlate or not?

enyr0py wrote:

I'm really just wondering if this is a possible explanation for my troubles. Anyone encountered this?

No, I did not encounter such a situation. And Matt already posed some questions to become able to answer your question. E.g. with STP cable, it is likekly not related while it might be a possible explanation for the case of standard UTP cable.

• seen similar before, traced to high power welding kit. solution in that case was to switch from Copper cable to fibre.

1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • It could be that plant, but perhaps not in the way you may expect.  Ethernet runs twisted pairs, so induction effects are normally minimal (and you need a seriously large E-M field to induce currents large enough to crash electronics).  Should RF noise be getting in on the ethernet, it's very likely to be present elsewhere too, and in much greater quantities.  While there's no harm in replacing with shielded ethernet, also think about the power supply, mouse, keyboard, monitor etc.  These will be far less protected than the ethernet cable.

Many years ago I developed a PC based solution for a project.  It ran perfectly in the office and lab.  I took it to the customer's site for the final demo and acceptance trial.  It repeatedly crashed. It turned out to the the lift a few meters away was putting spikes on the mains when the lift was called.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Have you used a cable tester or certifier on the run?

• Thanks for all the replies. I think I can rule out the Thermatron.

We tested running the machine, turning it on and off, but nothing correlated to the network connection dropouts.

I decided to run the ping test on all 3 devices that have Ethernet runs and they're all failing miserably. The best was ~5% packet loss and the worst, the PC in question, was dropping ~13%.

Decided to check the cable runs end-to-end (this was existing cabling) and sure enough - all 3 are connected with a generic $2 Ethernet coupler (up in the drop ceiling in an office outside the conduit to the factory). I've never used these couplers before but something tells me I've identified the issue. I see a Belkin brand on Amazon and will try swapping them out for Belkin. If the problem persists the next step is to run new Ethernet or preferably fiber to a distribution switch.

Another note about these industrial RF machines. I spoke with the manager who has been working with this type of equipment for over 30 years. He told me that back in ye olden times, the CRT monitors in the office would distort with wavy lines whenever the RF machines were switched on. They had to clad the shop in metal plating or mesh and it still leaked out. He said the newer machines are very good about containing the RF waves and it really isn't a problem with new, modern equipment.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • enyr0py wrote:

I see a Belkin brand on Amazon and will try swapping them out for Belkin.

Ethernet couplers are crap, no matter the brand. If it is not possible to solder the wires directly, I would highly recommend installing an inexpensive ethernet switch there to connect the cables.

• The solution turned out to be nothing to do with RF interference. Lesson learned, check every bit of the "normal" things before jumping to marginal possibilities.

Replacing the couplers with Belkin gave much better results, with 2 of 3 Ethernet cables showing 0 packet loss after 2 hours of pings. However, one coupler was still losing ~9% of packets.

I put a small 8-port switch in the ceiling, removed the couplers, and connected everything through the switch. After about 20 hours of pings, there is zero packet loss.

Spice (3) flagReport
      2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • I'm glad this has a happy ending!

• It could have been that the couplers were making the cable run too long or out of specification. It makes no sense to have a coupler unless the original feed needed to be extended. A coupler should either connect or not, but distance will make a difference as the signal gets weaker and cross talk increases which means errors. Placing a switch in the middle has changed it to 2 lan segments.

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...

• Snap! Maggie malware, Bring Your Own Driver, Win11 remote desktop issues, & more

Snap! Maggie malware, Bring Your Own Driver, Win11 remote desktop issues, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Thursday, October 6, 2022. If we roll back the calendar 39 years to 1983, today is the day that it went public after recording revenues of $12.8 million for the previous 12 months. It was over a de...

• What does your IT team use for password management?

What does your IT team use for password management?

Security

I use BitWarden for my own personal password management and it's fantastic. In the past, I've used a handful of different password managers in the workplace, including KeePass v2​, Secret Server​, LastPass​, and even just *cough* Excel.... 🥸Currently, we'...

• Upgrade Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2019

Upgrade Exchange 2013 to Exchange 2019

Collaboration

As the  Exchange 2013 is going to be end of life in April 2023, we will be upgrading / migrating our current setup to Exchange 2019.We are currently using MS Exchange 2013 Standard CU23 with Latest SU. We have 2 CAS servers in NLB and 4 Mailbox servers in...

• Spark! Pro series - 6th October 2022

Spark! Pro series - 6th October 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Today in History: 1866 -  The Reno brothers carry out the first train robbery in U.S. history On October 6, 1866, the brothers John and Simeon Reno stage the first train robbery in American history, making off with $13,000 from an Ohio and Mississ...

• IT Site -Network Survey Tools

IT Site -Network Survey Tools

Software

Hello,Need advice on any free forms or software to use to assist in doing IT site surveys of small business 50 users max with 4 different locations.Any not so expensive software that you have used let me know. We will be going onsite to each site first ti...