Home
Join

6 Replies

• No difference. The difference is that there is no enabled user account associated with a shared mailbox and you cannot login to a shared mailbox directly via username/password. Its all permissions based access. Shared mailboxes don't require an EXO license either. 

A shared mailbox is perfect when you need multiple people to access a single mailbox, this way you aren't sharing a password among multiple users.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/collaboration/shared-mailboxes/shared-mailboxes?view=exchs...

Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Thank you.  

That is what I was finding out and wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  The great thing is I can convert the User box to a Shared box and control access and assignment better.  The main thing the user was hoping for was a faster response time but the email still hits the Exchange server at the same speed.

Thank you for the quick response.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • 100 users accessing a shared mailbox? Chaos!

Do they all access concurrently or is access spread over time? Curious.

• Spreading over time would be the easy way.  They are all concurrent which is why the shared mailbox might be less painful and reflect some performance help.

• This is not my area of expertise. But would it be better to have one of those services which turns the email into a case and then assign that case to a case owner? Might avoid any chaos from having 100 users in one account. Maybe this will help things be 'more human' as well?

What do you think?

• I think changing to a shared mailbox may make it easier for the end-user.  The original question was is there a difference between the accounts, since there really isn't it will be based on when I want to convert for the end user experience.

Read these next...

• How much do you lock down your users?

How much do you lock down your users?

Best Practices & General IT

There is a healthy conversation going on in our IT department about how much freedom to allow our users. While many of us IT guys and gals like to prevent employees from hurting themselves, we all deal with folks chafing for a little more freedom in their...

• Snap! Reporting phishing in Teams, State of IT, Arc A770 graphics card, Optimus

Snap! Reporting phishing in Teams, State of IT, Arc A770 graphics card, Optimus

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. How is it already Monday? Actually, how is it already October 2022? It felt like SpiceWorld was just starting, and already it's over (for this year). But don't worry, the fun continues as this month is Cybers...

• Can you run a print server on windows 10

Can you run a print server on windows 10

Windows

I have many clients with no servers.  Looking for the best way to manage printers.If I share the printer then that machine that shares the printer needs to be online to print correct?   Having to always download the print driver and lookup the printers IP...

• Lost of VDI rights on Windows 10 Enterprise E3

Lost of VDI rights on Windows 10 Enterprise E3

Software

I am migration from standalone Windows 10 Enterprise E3 online subscription to Microsoft 365 E3 online subscription. However, I am seeing this in the terms.https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/terms/productoffering/Microsoft365/MOSADoes this mean I am losi...

• Spark! Pro Series - 3rd October 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 3rd October 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to Monday. I am currently sat at home in isolation, with my wife and I having succumbed to the dreaded Covid-19 after managing to avoid it for the last two and a half years! Still, it gives me the chance to indulge my fancy in yet another Spark! t...