Home
Join

14 Replies

• We typically remote in to user devices when the user needs help, so they need to be there to allow it.

If you needed to do some work for the user while they was not there, you'd need their password if the issue was specific to them, if not login as your own admin account.

Spice (6) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • https://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-access-a-users-windows-desktop-without-knowing-their-password/

Edited to add:  I just learned about this a few days ago.  In our case, it allows me to remote in with Teamviewer as a different user, then connect to the user's session, without supplying the user's password.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • IF it is for end user support then they need to be present, or log on as a different user.

Logging in as the user or controlling the user session without their presence should never be done. You would then be acting as the end user - you may have access to data you should not, can create, copy, delete data etc all recorded as the user performing this.

User authentication and audit only works if only the actual individual user ever uses their logon.

Spice (7) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • ich.ni.san wrote:

https://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-access-a-users-windows-desktop-without-knowing-their-password/

This solution could be acceptable, depending on local laws.

I know for sure that where I am I can't access a user session in any computer without the user consent and them being present/monitoring, and even so, I'll ask them to close all apps except whatever is related to the issue.

Just taking over a user locked session could allow you to see information you're not cleared for.

Spice (4) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • m@ttshaw and RafaelRocha raise points that should be considered.

Spice (8) flagReport
  • Zeros01 wrote:

Hello,

Is there any remote access tools that would allow our IT team to remote into systems without knowing the user passwords? 

• Did you already try the remote session button in Spiceworks Cloud Help Desk accessible in the ticket detail view?
    • Does it meet your needs?
    • Or do you have other undisclosed constraints?

It uses an integration with Zoho Assist​.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • We use Dameware and Go2Assist. Sort of. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • That feature is called Unattended - available on Go2Assist - The feature(file) has to be installed on each client.

TeamViewer if you know the ID or computer list.

LogMeIn can do this too.

Maybe look at TightVNC.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Goverlan.
    It will splash a big message when you connect though, so the computer operator will know you connected (that is by design).

• Ah the good ol' question... Quick and dirty or best practice? At least that is how it feels in the other responses. Sounds like you should either have the end user present (if on their user account) or login as admin to do the necessary work without the user's presence :)

Spice (3) flagReport
  • We also use Splashtop, and passwords were an issue till we set up access to either the system's local admin account (PC, MAC etc.), or a secondary user profile on the device. downside, yeah unless you're in the client's actual profile you are limited. :(

If the client isn't willing to share their password to access their desktop then like us, you're out of luck. On the other hand, since we have to notify the client prior to remoting in asking for the password becomes secondary. 

• ManageEngine allows unfettered access to any computer running it.  There are, of course, many other features.  You would probably not purchase ManageEngine for this function alone but it is one of the many benefits of the product.

• Thanks for being Splashtop user.  Sound like this is remote to unattended computers.  With Splashtop unattended, IT/MSP can remote in with any valid login credentials on the machine, such as an admin account - not the specific user account (as some folks have mentioned above).  If you are using attended product like Splashtop On-Demand Support, if you need to gain admin rights without getting the credentials from the user, Splashtop has an option for the user to enter on their side without the tech knowing the credentials at all.... but this only works in attended/user there mode.   I don't how any solution out there can allow access to a system if IT doesn't have proper login credential... seem like it could be a security issue if not done properly (Unless I misunderstand the usage flow et al).  Thank you.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • If you want a free solution, you can have a look at UltraVNC. If you are able to buy a software, I can fully recommend Dameware Mini Remote Control

Read these next...