Home
Join

28 Replies

• I highly recommend the crepe place near the convention center; it's become my go-to place for breakfast while at SW.

Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I heard that the Eaton booth is pretty fun.

Spice (13) flagReport
  • This will be my first visit to Austin and my first time at SW IRL (though I did attend the last two virtuals).  I will definitely be making time for the Museum of the Weird and the bats, but am curious to see what others toss out there.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Oooh. I could go for a good crepe. There's so many restaurants its hard to choose with the small amount of time we'll be there! 

• RayneD17 wrote:

Oooh. I could go for a good crepe. There's so many restaurants its hard to choose with the small amount of time we'll be there! 

https://www.cafecrepeofaustin.com/

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Ode2joy wrote:

This will be my first visit to Austin and my first time at SW IRL (though I did attend the last two virtuals).  I will definitely be making time for the Museum of the Weird and the bats, but am curious to see what others toss out there.

The virtuals were fun, but nothing compared to in person. Crazy to be around so many people that are into the same interests that have a great attitude. Museum of Weird is awesome, and the bats were so cool! We rented a kayak and floated by. I absolutely recommend that for sure. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I was going to recommend House Park BBQ, but it looks like it's burnt down.  That was a great place, terrific brisket!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Mike (Eaton) wrote:

I heard that the Eaton booth is pretty fun.

Ha! In for the win he is. Just for you Mike I'll make sure to swing by the Eaton booth. I fully expect some cool swag!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • computerdave wrote:

I highly recommend the crepe place near the convention center; it's become my go-to place for breakfast while at SW.

what pass good time meeting folks at the dinning tables, meeting folks is the best part.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Moonshine Grill

Terry Black's BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ

Austin Eastciders

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Owenmpk wrote:

computerdave wrote:

I highly recommend the crepe place near the convention center; it's become my go-to place for breakfast while at SW.

what pass good time meeting folks at the dinning tables, meeting folks is the best part.

Oh, I do plenty of that, but I'm not a huge fan of eggs or the breakfast burritos/tacos served at past SW breakfast.  I really like finding someone at random and sitting down with them to eat/chat.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • RayneD17 wrote:

Mike (Eaton) wrote:

Ha! In for the win he is. Just for you Mike I'll make sure to swing by the Eaton booth. I fully expect some cool swag!

We've got some good stuff--mostly stuff related to our new Wizard of Lite desk toy. BTW, we do eat our share of BBQ but the Eaton crew does a late night In-N-Out Burger run (don't have it in Raleigh). One time we snuck Franklin's BBQ into the exhibit hall but don't tell anyone at Spiceworks about that. The last few years we've gone to the bridge to see the bats but they never really did anything. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Might be too late in the year for the bats? Watched them end of July 2019, and they were really active, but it's supposed to be seasonal. The swimming bats were a little bit of a surprise......and as an occasional In-n-Out visitor, I had Culver's in Phoenix and I'll be going to one of the Austin stores!

Mike (Eaton) wrote:

RayneD17 wrote:

Mike (Eaton) wrote:

We've got some good stuff--mostly stuff related to our new Wizard of Lite desk toy. BTW, we do eat our share of BBQ but the Eaton crew does a late night In-N-Out Burger run (don't have it in Raleigh). One time we snuck Franklin's BBQ into the exhibit hall but don't tell anyone at Spiceworks about that. The last few years we've gone to the bridge to see the bats but they never really did anything. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Brianinca wrote:

Might be too late in the year for the bats? Watched them end of July 2019, and they were really active, but it's supposed to be seasonal. The swimming bats were a little bit of a surprise......and as an occasional In-n-Out visitor, I had Culver's in Phoenix and I'll be going to one of the Austin stores!

Mike (Eaton) wrote:

RayneD17 wrote:

Mike (Eaton) wrote:

Did not know the bats could swim!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • They don't like swimming, near as we could tell! It was crash and burn into the water, then swim over and crawl up the concrete stanchions. Soooo maaannny baaattss....

Mike (Eaton) wrote:

Brianinca wrote:

Might be too late in the year for the bats? Watched them end of July 2019, and they were really active, but it's supposed to be seasonal. The swimming bats were a little bit of a surprise......and as an occasional In-n-Out visitor, I had Culver's in Phoenix and I'll be going to one of the Austin stores!

Mike (Eaton) wrote:

RayneD17 wrote:

Mike (Eaton) wrote:

Did not know the bats could swim!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • These are some great ideas everyone! It sounds like some type of bbq is definitely what we need to hit. I know there's a skate shop I want to visit while there that's somewhere downtown too. The bats came out three years ago, I think we got there about 6-6:30, and they didn't come out until maybe 7:15 or so, with the sun setting. 
    Are there any official SpiceWorld meetup places? Concert at ACL? That sort of thing?

Just trying to make some rough plans for the trip, get some ideas in my head.

Everyone is so helpful, thanks!

• I'll second Moonshine Grill. A flight of moonshine is always a good way to spend an evening. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • jhunt wrote:

I'll second Moonshine Grill. A flight of moonshine is always a good way to spend an evening. 

Heck yes! I'll definitely make a stop by there for sure. Yum yum!

• Gus's fried chicken, right next to the convention center.  Cheap, delicious and nice cold beer!

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Joel2824 wrote:

Gus's fried chicken, right next to the convention center.  Cheap, delicious and nice cold beer!

Dang, I don't know how I missed that last time! That'll be a stop for sure. Gimme Gus's Chicken!

• You mentioned Video Games Bars, so I'll throw in a link to Pinballz. They are across town from the convention center - you'll have to have transportation to get there. You'll find tons of video games and pinball machines. The one at Lake Creek also has laser tag and go carts. I haven't been to the pool room and whiskey bar at Lake Creek, but those are available as well.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Glenn_P wrote:

You mentioned Video Games Bars, so I'll throw in a link to Pinballz. They are across town from the convention center - you'll have to have transportation to get there. You'll find tons of video games and pinball machines. The one at Lake Creek also has laser tag and go carts. I haven't been to the pool room and whiskey bar at Lake Creek, but those are available as well.

No way! That place looks amazing! I had no idea that anything like that was there... but go figure! :) Laser tag and go karts? Um... Duh! There will without a doubt be some vidya' and adult beverages. I haven't been on a go kart in years... that's gonna kick some butt. Awesome suggestions! You're getting me excited for all the things to do!

• The 1st time I went to SpiceWorld I was able to get on a trip to Salt Lick BBQ. It was awesome. The trip was sponsored by one of the vendors at SW.
    I'd love to go there again, but since Covid hit our company has scaled way back and traveling to events are a no go now. :-(

So it's the virtual life for me. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Rainey st, Banger's Sausage House & Beer Garden - crowds, primarily outdoor seating

G'Raj Mahal - Indian food, outdoors. Not as crowded.

Unfortunately the Russian House in Austin seems to have closed. I really liked visiting that place a few years ago.

We went bar hopping to places I can't even remember on Rainey st and I think 9th. I do remember the Container Bar. Not sure it's around.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • computerdave wrote:

computerdave​ I'll come to meet you for breakfast.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I second Gus' and Banger's. Gus's is some of the best fried chicken I've ever had, and the exotic meat sausages at Banger's are great. I will also add Iron Works BBQ to the list. It's just around the corner from convention center and seems to be pretty popular at lunch time.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I always go to the crepe place attached to hyatt Wyndham by the convention center and I can never pass up going to Toy Joy on 2nd street

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Toy Joy sounds cool! Several peeps have mentioned the crepe place. We'll for suresies be checking that out. I can't wait!

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...