Home
Join
check
  • Whoever told you that was wrong.  You can added needed cores to a MAPS license.  If your MAPS subscription level only has 16 cores of licensing, then you just need to purchase an additional 4.  If your subscription has more than 16, you are good as long as you don't go over your total core count.  

2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

12 Replies

• Whoever told you that was wrong.  You can added needed cores to a MAPS license.  If your MAPS subscription level only has 16 cores of licensing, then you just need to purchase an additional 4.  If your subscription has more than 16, you are good as long as you don't go over your total core count.  

2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Lol! That's what I tried to do. I purchased the 2 2-packs and they sent me a message saying I needed to buy the original 16 Core Server 2019 license. I told them I already had one through MAPS. Then they said I couldn't add the cores to a MAPS license and cancelled my order. Any suggestions on where I should go to purchase them?

I'm also looking for whatever is needed to create custom Win 10/11 images, since they don't do volume licensing anymore. I manage about 120 endpoints for a few customers and I'd like to be able to create a lighter weight Win10 image with pre-deployed apps. No luck with WICD/PPKGs.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
    • They seem to go back and forth as to whether they want to see a previous 16-core license when buying core packs.  You can always purchase them retail from Newegg and the like.

noaxxess wrote:

I'm also looking for whatever is needed to create custom Win 10/11 images, since they don't do volume licensing anymore. I manage about 120 endpoints for a few customers and I'd like to be able to create a lighter weight Win10 image with pre-deployed apps. No luck with WICD/PPKGs.

Volume Licensing still exists - what ended is the Open Business program which is just one of numerous VL programs  .  Open Business moved to the CSP program.  If you need SA, that's sold via the Open Value program.  The only thing that should really change for the end user is where he retrieves his media/keys.

1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • noaxxess wrote:

Lol! That's what I tried to do. I purchased the 2 2-packs and they sent me a message saying I needed to buy the original 16 Core Server 2019 license. I told them I already had one through MAPS. Then they said I couldn't add the cores to a MAPS license and cancelled my order. Any suggestions on where I should go to purchase them?

Da_Schmoo​ I think from what I understooded from some of our subsidiaries is that MAPS is that Microsoft Action Pack is an annual subscription offered by Microsoft to their entry-level partners, that allows them to get thousands of dollars’ worth of MS products and services for just $475 USD per year.

If you need to license your 20 core server or add 4 more cores, you need to purchase the add-ons BEFORE committing to MAPS.

Here’s the complete list of software licenses and services’ credits / seats included in a Microsoft Action Pack subscription:
      3 Visual Studio Professional Subscriptions (formerly known as MSDN Subscriptions)
      5 Microsoft 365 E3 (formerly Office 365 E3) seats
      5 Intune
      5 Enterprise Mobility Suite
      5 Azure AD Basic
      5 Microsoft Dynamics 365 – Customer Engagement Microsoft Azure $100 monthly credit
      1 Microsoft Dynamics CRM Work-group Server 2016 license (provides access to 5 users)
      2 Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Standard (per core)
      1 Microsoft Exchange Server 2019 Standard
      10 Microsoft Exchange Server 2019 Standard CALs
      10 Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2019
      1 Microsoft Project Professional 2019
      1 Microsoft SharePoint Server 2019 Enterprise
      10 Microsoft SharePoint Server 2019 Enterprise CALs (includes Standard CALs)
      1 Microsoft Skype for Business Server 2019
      10 Microsoft Skype for Business Server 2019 Standard CALs
      1 Microsoft Visio Professional 2019
      10 Windows 10 Enterprise (Current Branch or LTSC 2019)
      10 Windows 10 Professional (Current Branch or LTSC 2019)
      1 Windows Server 2019 Essentials
      10 Windows Server 2019 Remote Desktop Services (RDS) CALs
      16 Windows Server 2019 Standard
      10 Windows Server 2019 CALs (not edition specific)
      1 Windows Storage Server 2016 Work-group
      10 System Center 2019 Client Management Suite
      16 System Center 2019 Standard
      10 System Center Configuration Manager (current branch)
      10 System Center Endpoint Protection (current branch)
      5 Advanced Threat Analytics Client Management Licenses
      10 Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) 2015
      10 Windows Embedded 8 Standard
      10 Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise
      10 Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro
      10 Windows Embedded POS Ready 7
      1 R Server for SUSE Linux
      1 R Server for Teradata DB
      1 Machine Learning Server for Hadoop
      1 Machine Learning Server for Linux

• noaxxess wrote:

If you have 120 endpoints, how or why did you get MAPS as it is mainly used for Organizations with 5 or 10 users at most.

• adrian_ych wrote:

noaxxess wrote:

If you have 120 endpoints, how or why did you get MAPS as it is mainly used for Organizations with 5 or 10 users at most.

Not true.

• noaxxess wrote:

Just a note on that - you can't use a Volume License to create images for your customers unless each customer has their own VL agreement.

• My organization is small. But I am managing the endpoints for other customers. So MAPS has more than I need in most areas and allows me to be a Microsoft partner to manage their 365 tenants.

• I looked more into the Open License thing and it is availabel! But I'm still confused on how and what I need to purchase to accomplish my goal of creating custom images for my customers (Open Value?). I'm an indirect reseller, and am enrolled in the CSP program, but I don't see any reference to Open Licensing in the Partner portal. I did some digging and found a phone number on this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/licensing-programs/open-license?rtc=1&activetab=open-l...

I called in and Microsoft said there are 3 partners I could work with and that they will be contacting me in the near future. So I'll update this post with whatever info I find! I appreciate your help Da_Schmoo​!

• You can't purchase a VL copy of Win 10/11 and use it for your customers and be legal.  Each customer needs their own VL before you can do imaging for them.

Win 11 Pro VL via CSP SKU:   DG7GMGF0D8H4-0004

• noaxxess wrote:

I called in and Microsoft said there are 3 partners I could work with and that they will be contacting me in the near future. So I'll update this post with whatever info I find! I appreciate your help Da_Schmoo​!

If you are a reseller, you buy through a distributor - TechData/Synnex, Ingram Micro, etc.  If you don't have an account with a distributor or don't want to set one up, then you purchase through another reseller - CDW, Newegg, Provantage, etc.

• Da_Schmoo wrote:

You can't purchase a VL copy of Win 10/11 and use it for your customers and be legal.  Each customer needs their own VL before you can do imaging for them.

Win 11 Pro VL via CSP SKU:   DG7GMGF0D8H4-0004

That's kind of what I figured. I could use a license for my company for my internal use to customize our image. and then really only 1 of my customers would be large enough to take advantage of the Open Licensing. So another for them.

Read these next...