Home
Join

14 Replies

• Yes....

Spice (1) flagReport
    0 of 3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Welcome to the community!

What kind of access? There's web access, database access, RDP access, file sharing, and other ways.

Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • kevinmhsieh wrote:

Welcome to the community!

What kind of access? There's web access, database access, RDP access, file sharing, and other ways.

Bro....its remote access from field....not as if sea or ocean.....LOL

1 of 2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Database, files and software

Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • spicehead-ec5js wrote:

Database, files and software

VPN would be the best way, but you can also use RDS via the web with relevant licenses and a certificate to secure your access.

Your users though, would need either an LAN cable, Wi-Fi or a data connection to be able to connect back to your server, if they are out of a 3G/4G/5G signal area, literally in the middle of nowhere, they wont be able to access it.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Thank you for your reply, I guess I should have been more clear in my question. 

Can anyone give me directions on how to set up my server to be accessed from computers in the field?  

I understand I should use a VPN and that users need data or internet access.

I just don't know how to set that up.

• spicehead-ec5js wrote:

Database, files and software

You should never have admins (local admins, DB admins) work remotely especially implementing scripts or updates etc.

What software ? Browser based ?

What infrastructure do you have (data center appliances, servers side, "at field") ??

The questions we need to ask in order to help you seems longer than your posts ??

• Clarity always helps, but unfortunately there is still a lot unknown.

Your server, is it on-prem or cloud hosted (AWS, Azure a VPS etc), your internet, is it a business grade statically assigned public IP setup?

VPN - do you have anything in place, can your firewall do VPN traffic? What is your firewalls/router?

How many people are we talking about?

What else is your server doing, is it also a DC, if so giving users access to this is 1) a very bad idea and 2) likely not possible because it's a DC. If you make it possible, see note 1.

Whatever is on the server that clients need to access, would it be cheaper or beneficial to move it to the cloud?

• Admins won't be accessing remotely, only employees. 

As far as the software, it is a CAD, RMS program.

I have a tower server and will have PCs in the field.

• My server is not cloud hosted it is in my office. I do have a static IP address for my internet.

I'm not sure if my firewall does VPN traffic or if I need a different firewall. ( hence the request for assistance)

Regarding how many people, it could be 1, or it could be 100, it depends on who is out at a particular time.

The server is storing files and running the software, it is not a Domain Controller. It's just a server.

It would not be cheaper to put it on a cloud, nor beneficial because the CAD and RMS programs can't run on the could server. At least not that I can figure.

• spicehead-ec5js wrote:

My server is not cloud hosted it is in my office. I do have a static IP address for my internet.

I'm not sure if my firewall does VPN traffic or if I need a different firewall. ( hence the request for assistance)

Regarding how many people, it could be 1, or it could be 100, it depends on who is out at a particular time.

The server is storing files and running the software, it is not a Domain Controller. It's just a server.

It would not be cheaper to put it on a cloud, nor beneficial because the CAD and RMS programs can't run on the could server. At least not that I can figure.

Do you think we can teleport to your HQ and server room ? Do you think we can read minds ?? Not a punt but are you an IT pro or even in IT at all ??

Spice (1) flagReport
  • If I understand you need a VPN server in your office. First of all, you should see if you have a firewall that supports VPN server service. If you don't have one then you should see if a firewall serves your needs and proceed with its installation and configuration.
    Your question is very general and you should be more specific so the community can direct you in the right direction.

• What kind of firewall do you have?

• Hi, and welcome to the Community!

Let's assume your computers are already configured to work with the server locally when they are in the office, so everything is already configured for work, and all you need is that all the same things keep working when people are outside of the office and local network (at home or in the field).

If that is the case, you need a working point-to-site VPN connection for each computer. Depending on your router/firewall, you may have a VPN server functionality already included. That would be the easiest option since you will have to enable and minimally configure it on the firewall/router side and also configure the built-in Windows VPN client or OpenVPN client (depending on the VPN server) using your external office IP and call it a day.

If your existing hardware does not offer a VPN server feature, the second easiest option would be enabling the RRAS role on your server if you are running Windows Server or spinning up a virtual machine for that purpose if your server is a hypervisor running multiple virtual machines. Some typical popular options are pfSense https://www.pfsense.org/, OpenVPN https://openvpn.net/, or VeeamPN https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/veeam-powered-network-veeampn, all Linux-based and free. In this case, some additional port forwarding and VPN pass-through configuration are required for the firewall/router, and it is usually covered in VPN server documentation.

The third, and probably the best option, would be hiring a guy (local MSP? friendly Spicehead?) who will configure everything for you in an hour or two, especially if you have the budget for that project.

Read these next...