Home
Join

43 Replies

• and to think I got into this great industry before MS-DOS came out!

Spice (8) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Robert762 wrote:

and to think I got into this great industry before MS-DOS came out!

Wow. And I thought *I* was old. ;)

Seriously, though, those old days were great days to be involved, weren't they?

Spice (6) flagReport
  • I am devastated by the KOTOR news. This was one of the titles that I was truly hyped for.

Spice (11) flagReport
  • lamocon wrote:

I am devastated by the KOTOR news. This was one of the titles that I was truly hyped for.

Same, I played so (SO) much KOTOR and it is one of the main reasons I originally took the job offer at BioWare for SWTOR.

Spice (13) flagReport
  • So much going on in here. I like the idea of the line, but sounds like the ambition is much higher than the limitations of modern day technology and humanity. Tons of vulnerabilities are surfacing. I miss the days when all I had to worry about was what print spooler needed to be restarted.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • NO KOTOR???? I'm actually raging, I've literally been waiting so damn long for this 
    Spice (7) flagReport
  • Wow! Seems to be a decent amount of unfortunate news. The UEFI rootkit scares the begeezus out of me! The Saudia Arabia Neom city idea seems ambitious, but might be a great technological achievement if ever completed! Sounds like LucasFilms needs to jump studios or help to get some leadership in place... No KOTOR remake in the future is a sad future.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I would love to go to space and this new balloon ship looks awesome but with a price tag like that I will be waiting a very long time to go. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • The warm pits sound like a great place to put a colony 🤔

Spice (4) flagReport
  • The line city will never work.

Imagine the devastation and problems from things like: Natural disaster, Fires, Protests, wanting an open space (it's 200m wide!), All the rich folks will want the center, meaning the edges will end up in poverty no doubt. 

What a ridiculous notion, and the fact it requires many tech ideas that don't even exist yet.. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Dubai and Abu Dahbi are doing incredible things still. But its comes at a price. If more people understood what shady business was going on over there they would be quite displeased. But money talks and many people will listen to it. 
    https://youtu.be/tJuqe6sre2I

I lived in Qatar at a very young age. I believe back when I was in 2nd grade. The country was always very developed and had so many incredible structures, facilities, etc. You couldn't go a day without seeing multiple super/luxury cars on the road. I would love to go back and experience it all again but I do hope it has changed a little bit more politically. I still remember when living there myself that there was times were I felt un-welcomed or disliked purely because of my race or my religion. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Warm pits on the Moon - I did just see that pits are making a comeback, the Loonies are so avantgarde.

https://www.archdaily.com/985506/conversation-pits-are-making-a-comeback

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Aspyr better get it together. KOTOR was an amazing series and one of the best Star Wars stories IMO. I have been dreaming of the day there will be a remake, so much so I even bought the version of the game you can play on your phone (which actually play decent). A remake of those games has so much potential. Honestly I'm just a Star Wars junkie and the stuff they have been putting out is not really scratching that itch. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Never mind the RPGs, I just want them to remake X-Wing & TIE Fighter, and update the graphics. I don't want any multi-player nonsense, so I don't want Squadrons, I just want to go and blow up a Death Star!

Spice (6) flagReport
  • MS-Dos 5 was bleeding edge when I started working with PC's...

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

lamocon wrote:

I am devastated by the KOTOR news. This was one of the titles that I was truly hyped for.

Same, I played so (SO) much KOTOR and it is one of the main reasons I originally took the job offer at BioWare for SWTOR.

I still play SWOTR... It's fun.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Spicy Joseph wrote:

The line city will never work.

Imagine the devastation and problems from things like: Natural disaster, Fires, Protests, wanting an open space (it's 200m wide!), All the rich folks will want the center, meaning the edges will end up in poverty no doubt. 

What a ridiculous notion, and the fact it requires many tech ideas that don't even exist yet.. 

I was thinking the poor people would end up at the bottom as usual?  

Spice (3) flagReport
  • So hackers start trying to exploit vulnerabilities as soon as they're found, eh?

Must be a slow news day.  I mean, did anyone around here really think they sat around and said "well, there's a new vulnerability that I could really have some fun with, but ya know what?  It's not St. Patrick's Day, so I'm gonna let this one pass for now."

In other news, water is wet.  

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Milerky2 wrote:

Me too, I jump on it when I go through my "bored of WoW" stage that happens 2 or 3 times a year; I'll jump on SWTOR, level something to max and go back to WoW. I had everything but Sith Sniper to max before my email address got hacked and now I can't get the 2FA code, had to start again and got 3 max levels again so far. Still really annoying that happened though :(

But now I'm intrigued, what did you work on SWTOR Sean (Spiceworks)​?

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Feeling old! I remember CP/M and QDOs /86-DOS well. I also recall DR-DOS and DR-GEM which were Digital Research's alternatives to MS-DOS and Windows!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • eshmesh wrote:

Milerky2 wrote:

Me too, I jump on it when I go through my "bored of WoW" stage that happens 2 or 3 times a year; I'll jump on SWTOR, level something to max and go back to WoW. I had everything but Sith Sniper to max before my email address got hacked and now I can't get the 2FA code, had to start again and got 3 max levels again so far. Still really annoying that happened though :(

You sound like me, though it has been years since I jumped into SWTOR. Glad to hear that it is still going though. I always think about maybe jumping back in for a look around.

I have a trooper healer with dark seed gear on. I was super proud of that back in the day because it took me forever to farm it.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I thought UEFI was supposed to be secure and prevent malicious actors from using such persistent malware?

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Whoa. Warm pits on the moon? Holy moly. Odd. Super cool area. Let's put people there! I volunteer! 

• eshmesh wrote:

Milerky2 wrote:

But now I'm intrigued, what did you work on SWTOR Sean (Spiceworks)​?

I became "bored of WOW" when they nerfed everything.   Played SWTOR for a bit, but then realized how much time I was wasting playing video games.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Spicy Joseph wrote:

The line city will never work.

And that's why you're not a hyper-rich Saudi prince ;)

• I think we need to do an extension of the Darwin Awards called the Moon Awards. Now launch all of the winners of the award to the Moon, put them in one of the tubes, and tell them "figure out how to survive."

• Shame Microsoft isn't still putting out new versions of DOS.  Might compete with Firefox and Chrome version numbers by now. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Remember that fan KOTOR remake that we were going to get before Disney slapped them with a C&D? Yeah, thanks Disney. Now no KOTOR remake period thanks to your idiocy. Let's add that to the list with 1313.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Always great to see some MS DOS trivia.

I am totally down for Robot Cage fights.

• That KOTOR Remake reminds me of HalfLife Black Mesa. I remember trying it in the early 2000's and getting really excited. It took so long that my excitement fizzled and I never got the full version that took 16 years to complete. KOTOR is more exciting to me and I hope they eventually finish it and don't Cyberpunk it.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • GuruGabe1 wrote:

I thought UEFI was supposed to be secure and prevent malicious actors from using such persistent malware?

Nope. It was (still is) very susceptible to attack, but the kicker was you had to be physically at the machine. Obviously they found a way around it in 2016, so yeah not a big surprise.

My old Core Duo board could flash the UEFI to default values (had a separate ROM for re-flashing) - it was a nuke from orbit type of flash, so only if you REALLY messed things up.

• As sad as I am to see the KOTOR remake enter development hell I can't say I'm surprised. AFAIK Aspyr really isn't known for anything besides ports to Mac/Mobile, so it's not *that* shocking that they'd have trouble with their first AAA project.

Add in how badly Disney has bungled Star Wars since they've purchased it and it's not surprising any major Star Wars production would have issues. I'm really not a Star Wars fan outside of KOTOR1/2 and Fallen Order but I get the feeling they've got extreme hesitancy surrounding Star Wars properties because so much of the fanbase is fed up that it's not the guaranteed cash cow it once was (similar to what we might be seeing soon with Marvel - my understanding is that the new Thor is actually bombing pretty hard relative to expectations & past MCU performance).

It's a shame because KOTOR is one of the best RPGs of all time and one of my favorite games. Here's to hoping they get things figured out and are able to release a quality remake eventually. Kind of ironic that EA lost the exclusivity deal yet they're still the only company that's been able to release Star Wars games.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • lamocon wrote:

I look at it like waiting for the Tool album. Maybe it will come, maybe it will not. I refuse to lose sleep over it though.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Speaking of cyber criminals, view our PDF which contains 6 steps for resiliency against cyber threats.

• I remember CPM and playing a Star Trek game on it

• I remember MS-DOS. Those were the good ol' days! I thought UEFI was a bad idea from the start. I saw the potential for security problems way back when it first came out, but does anyone ever listen to me? Of course not. "UEFI is a great step forward!" they said. "It'll provide better security," they said. My question is this: Did you ever find a a virus or other malware had infected your BIOS that was written on PROM? Of course not, it couldn't be written to! Not all technological "advancement" is in a forward direction.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • CharlesHTN wrote:

Shame Microsoft isn't still putting out new versions of DOS.  Might compete with Firefox and Chrome version numbers by now. 

Technically core versions are CLI only; granted it's mostly PowerShell now, but hey it's almost DOS...

("Almost").

• John5152 wrote:

Feeling old! I remember CP/M and QDOs /86-DOS well. I also recall DR-DOS and DR-GEM which were Digital Research's alternatives to MS-DOS and Windows!

I feel your aches and pains too.

• The "gyroscopic public transport concept" that is linked to from the "Line" article sounds really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZjnhL4WddE

• I believe Adam Something did an excellent roast of the Saudi pie in the sky

• Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Remake Reportedly Paused Indefinitely

• Wait, so how do you "Pilot" a balloon?  warm up air (going up!), allow air to cool or release air (going down)...

• Briser_fae_the_broch wrote:

Wait, so how do you "Pilot" a balloon?  warm up air (going up!), allow air to cool or release air (going down)...

Some ballons, typically dirigibles and blimps, have lateral control via motors and rudders.

Read these next...

• Cloud storage to share video files 5TB and larger

Cloud storage to share video files 5TB and larger

Data Storage, Backup & Recovery

I assisting a company that is looking for cloud storage for large video files so they can upload the videos at one site and download them at another.The current solution is manually shipping usb hard drives with the video files which are around 5TB or lar...

• Spark! Pro Series - 28th September 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 28th September 2022

Water Cooler

Today in History: 1980 Carl Sagan's 13 part "Cosmos" premieres on PBSAstronomer Carl Sagan's landmark 13-part science series takes you on an awe-inspiring cosmic journey to the edge of the Universe and back aboard the spaceship of the imagination.The seri...

• Win 10 Lock screen showing wrong name, after name change

Win 10 Lock screen showing wrong name, after name change

Windows

I have a strange thing happening with a remote laptop after I changed her name.So, everything is changed in AD and setup correctly.  So, I like to simplify things for my users so when i change names I do the following: change names in AD username email ...

• Best Practice Enterprise Wiping Devices Before New User

Best Practice Enterprise Wiping Devices Before New User

Windows

Hello all.As I am sitting here wiping laptops for one of my sites, in preparation for any new users that start.I got to thinking, what is the best practice for re-deploying previously used laptops in an enterprise environment? I was curious how ya'll hand...

• Tech & End User Expectations

Tech & End User Expectations

Best Practices & General IT

Hey all!We are an IT team of 10 in a school district, and there have been some recent (and not so recent) issues with techs being snarky, end users being snarky, etc.We are trying to turn a new leaf, and want to come up with a set of expectations for the ...