Home
Join

10 Replies

• Most users are seemingly extremely self important. That is why I used a network based help desk program. Those who use it get a faster response than those who don't. Those who don't I get to them as I can. Generally after I have my coffee, near the end of the work day.

Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I've usually been able to just head-down and plow through. Getting much harder these days. Sailing usually does it for me. I suspect I couldn't possible sail enough to compensate right now.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • After trying many things, I have just begun to believe that even when life is going well, I go through cycles of energy and burnout.  That said, I still try to actively unwind when not at work.

• I do things with my girlfriend (concert, baseball game, etc.)
    • I play an occasional computer game 
    • I get wrapped up in a TV series
    • I read a book
    • I sleep (this one is super important; if you're not sleeping well, see someone)
    • I take time with my pets
    • I go out for a relaxing meal

Sometimes I also take short breaks during my workday.  Many of us have sedentary, thinking jobs; I was once told by a therapist that physical things should be used to recuperate from thinking jobs, and thinking things should be used to compensate from physical jobs, and I've always taken that seriously.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Deep breathe and remind myself one of the early lessons in medic school, you cant save everyone... There will be projects that get kicked down the road and users that complain. These are universal constants, don't sweat 'em.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Spending time on self-care is often overlooked but hugely needed. Your mental health is as important as physical fitness.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • lapetinap wrote:

Most users are seemingly extremely self important. That is why I used a network based help desk program. Those who use it get a faster response than those who don't. Those who don't I get to them as I can. Generally after I have my coffee, near the end of the work day.

I like that a lot. :) I might have to start using that myself when people email me directly about an issue they are having and not go through the ticketing system. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Guitar, Working out, Skateboarding, and anything else that's not tech related help bring me back to reality. It just clears the mind, and sometimes problems you were having in tech, you sometimes get your solution while not thinking of it! Gotta be healthy though. IT is definitely something to take a full break from occasionally.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • RayneD17 wrote:

Guitar, Working out, Skateboarding, and anything else that's not tech related help bring me back to reality. It just clears the mind, and sometimes problems you were having in tech, you sometimes get your solution while not thinking of it! Gotta be healthy though. IT is definitely something to take a full break from occasionally.

This is right on.  Sometimes I will be doing something completely different and get a really good idea / solution.  

• jarmbrister wrote:

Spending time on self-care is often overlooked but hugely needed. Your mental health is as important as physical fitness.

So true - we tend to forget this.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • FrostWolf wrote:

Sometimes I also take short breaks during my workday.  Many of us have sedentary, thinking jobs; I was once told by a therapist that physical things should be used to recuperate from thinking jobs, and thinking things should be used to compensate from physical jobs, and I've always taken that seriously.

I really like that point about the physical things and the thinking things.  I've not heard it put like that,  Thanks for sharing!

Read these next...