Home
Join

25 Replies

• Well, me first?

We use Teams but happily not today so not noticed anything.  Well I should clarify I have been using it for groups/files but not for a meeting last couple of days.

I can't wait to see that Massive rocket blasting off!!!

Spice (10) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • That image looks familiar......

Well, this hasn't just been this week. We haven't been able to get Teams to work in browser in our RDS Farm, and still no solution.....

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2456273-teams-hates-my-guts

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I'm actually kinda excited about the discord/Xbox info. There is a group of us that plays cross platform games together and we are some xbox some PC. Yes xbox chat "works" on PC but we have been having issues with some of us just dropping off until a new party is made. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I'm always jelly of tech that comes out of Asia. While other countries may take their time testing the products for safety, I love the Chinese approach of *insert Shia LeBeouf "Just do it" gif*. I remember going to a ramen joint that had robot waitstaff way before it hit the States.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I really do think Microsoft keeps making huge moves in order to tightly secure and hold that 2nd spot on the gaming market. Currently I think its PC > Xbox > PlayStation > Nintendo. If I end up getting another gaming console again in the future, my likely investment would be in the Xbox Series X. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Kinda surprised Microsoft got Discord working on their console before Sony, considering that Sony made a big investment into Discord and announced a partnership with them late last year.

Then again, if the debacle they just went through with getting PS plus subscribers the PS5 version of FFVII Remake Part 1 is any indication (nevermind the issues PSN has had in the past), Sony still lags behind a bit when it comes to online services. If they want to chase M$ on the GaaS front (blech, though I guess that's why they've been making acquisitions like Bungie) then they'd better get that stuff squared away pretty quick.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Automated Taxi Robots:

Spice (13) flagReport
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

For those that weren't thinking of it.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • "Robotaxis in China Are Replacing the Steering Wheel With a Vending Machine"

I had to reread this title multiple times. I thought this was an AI generated title. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Not sure why, but when I saw that Team Image, I immediately started to rage.....

M$ doesn't seem to know what they want to do with Macros. It's like being married to them.

• Hey, if someone is willing to mentor me and train me, I would love to get more into InfoSec!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Robotaxi: a great way for the Chinese government to dispose of dissenters!

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Dang, lotta cool stuff in today's episode! Space seems to be popular with everyone. Woot woot!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Space! is always a great read, but massive rockets adds a cherry on top.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Teams outage: and nothing of value was lost.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • They should do that. Put a fresh cherry on the top of a space craft. Yis.

• Heavy Teams Org - never noticed it lol

What are humans going to do with all the new time they will have on their hands, when automation saturates the globe?

Please insert $1.00 or Tap Card to avoid obstacle ahead...

Spice (1) flagReport
  • CompTIA Security+ or GISF: Which Certification Should an InfoSec Beginner Choose?

In case anyone is interested, there's a post of ours that lists out 40+ course to help build your cybersecurity skills: https://training.resources.awscloud.com/security-traincert/40-courses-and-more-to-build-your-cyberse...

I will add also that we have a Certified Security certification, as well, if you're seeking out a a certification the helps validate your expertise in securing data and workloads in the AWS Cloud.

Hope that helps any aspiring cybersecurity expert out there :) 

• Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

In case the above didn't put the song You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) into your head, I apologize if I just did.

I don't know that song, so you still didn't get me.

Michael232048 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGNiXGX2nLU

For those that weren't thinking of it.

Nup, not falling for it! 😁 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • My teams stopped working, and it was great. I "forgot" to turn it back on after I'd closed it down and had a really peaceful and pleasant afternoon.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • gotta admit. when I read the title, I wasn't sure if that was robo-taxis or robot-axis. :P

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I didn't have any Teams meetings yesterday, so that went without a hitch for me.  Not sure about the rest of my org.  :X  We're not having users though, at least not for more than just chats.

Like I said before, Microsoft doesn't set most aspects of our security baseline.  Macros were being exploited way too much in late 2021 and early 2022 to leave those floodgates open.  Still, Office desktop apps are quite risky as Randy Franklin Smith noted in an upcoming Ultimate Windows Security webinar, Office "documents" is very misleading as Office documents, spreadsheets, and slideshows [in native Office format, i.e. .doc and .docx, etc.] are really like light software applications in themselves.  He said:

 "

 But most of us are in fact doing that right now thousands of times a day. Every time we open an Office “document.” Let’s stop using the term document because it’s   misleading. Document implies passive content. Office files are not documents – they are software. Whenever you allow a user to open a Word or Excel attachment in an email you are allowing the sender an opportunity to remotely execute arbitrary code in the context of your user.

Macros disabled? Protected view enforced? Doesn’t matter. Not when Microsoft packs the attack surface of Office with things like the MSDT URL protocol and remote templates. It’s just a recipe for zero-day exploits.

"

- Randy F. Smith, Ultimate Windows Security - https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/about/rfs.aspx

Even simplifying things furthur, just having hyperlinks that can be clicked in Office files poses risk as there are ways to obfuscate this, even without macros.

Glad to hear that Discord is coming to Xbox.  If any of you haven't already voted and commented in the ongoing Spiceworks console/PC wars thread, head on over here:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2456150-what-side-do-you-fight-for-in-the-console-wars

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Justin for VIPRE wrote:

"Robotaxis in China Are Replacing the Steering Wheel With a Vending Machine"
    What are humans going to do with all the new time they will have on their hands, when automation saturates the globe?

I heard that China has always positions open for its censor firewall. And with all those lock-downs there, new positions re-open again. And I don't know if you read already about these targeting positions for managing the corona app. It is so much work to always update which areas to exclude for opponents of the government when people change their mind and hence need updates for their corona app. There was just one news spreading over social media which revealed that this app is not always showing data according to medical testing but to potential of social or political unrest after a savings bank fails to refund its savers and the colleagues in the censor firewall were not quick enough to stop sharing of that news and mobile videos. And strange that different news readers have different understandings where this male mob for beat up on savers were coming from. These are the proof how far unrest is already happening. We have not seen who paid them for doing their beat up in favor of local party and bank officials. So don't fear, there is always enough work in China as long as you don't live in an area currently suffering a lock-down.

Read these next...

• Cloud storage to share video files 5TB and larger

Cloud storage to share video files 5TB and larger

Data Storage, Backup & Recovery

I assisting a company that is looking for cloud storage for large video files so they can upload the videos at one site and download them at another.The current solution is manually shipping usb hard drives with the video files which are around 5TB or lar...

• Spark! Pro Series - 28th September 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 28th September 2022

Water Cooler

Today in History: 1980 Carl Sagan's 13 part "Cosmos" premieres on PBSAstronomer Carl Sagan's landmark 13-part science series takes you on an awe-inspiring cosmic journey to the edge of the Universe and back aboard the spaceship of the imagination.The seri...

• Win 10 Lock screen showing wrong name, after name change

Win 10 Lock screen showing wrong name, after name change

Windows

I have a strange thing happening with a remote laptop after I changed her name.So, everything is changed in AD and setup correctly.  So, I like to simplify things for my users so when i change names I do the following: change names in AD username email ...

• Best Practice Enterprise Wiping Devices Before New User

Best Practice Enterprise Wiping Devices Before New User

Windows

Hello all.As I am sitting here wiping laptops for one of my sites, in preparation for any new users that start.I got to thinking, what is the best practice for re-deploying previously used laptops in an enterprise environment? I was curious how ya'll hand...

• Tech & End User Expectations

Tech & End User Expectations

Best Practices & General IT

Hey all!We are an IT team of 10 in a school district, and there have been some recent (and not so recent) issues with techs being snarky, end users being snarky, etc.We are trying to turn a new leaf, and want to come up with a set of expectations for the ...