Home
Join

36 Replies

• Jeffrey Snover is awesome. Hearing him passionately speak on Powershell and learning from him was one of my greatest SpiceWorld memories for sure. His knowledge and passion are truly inspirational. I hope he continues to bless us with his insight.

Spice (11) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Fallout: London may get me to open up Fallout 4 again. If Bethesda will never leave the US (let alone the East Coast) for their games, I'll take what the modders can give instead.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Thank you for including the infamous "a" in Armstrong's quote as he intended! 

Really excited about the capabilities of the brain-machine interface. It'll be amazing to return complex actions many of us take for granted to those in need.

Spice (11) flagReport
  • 1 million dollars for bug reports?? This is a bug... this is a bug....oh here's one.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Tamara for LastPass wrote:

Thank you for including the infamous "a" in Armstrong's quote as he intended! 

I was wondering who all would notice that :)

Spice (9) flagReport
  • I've followed Fallout: London for a little while before it fell off my radar. I'm extremely excited for this as Bethesda doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get another Fallout title out.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Fallout London is just a fan made mod, nothing too interesting IMO.

• Tamara for LastPass wrote:

Thank you for including the infamous "a" in Armstrong's quote as he intended! 

Really excited about the capabilities of the brain-machine interface. It'll be amazing to return complex actions many of us take for granted to those in need.

Bringing the technology of Firefox (the film and the book) to life, finally!

• LockBit 3.0 introduces the first ransomware bug bounty program

Goodness, that is quite the program...

• Lots of good stuff today.

I am always excited to see how technology helps those with disabilities to lead better, more independent lives. That said, my first thought on reading the phrase "combining robot autonomy with limited human input" (emphasis mine), was would I really want even a semi-autonomous smart machine near my face with a knife and a fork?

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I love Jeffrey Snover. That guy can explain something ultra complicated and make it so I can understand it. What a brilliant mind. I basically learned PowerShell from him (MVA) back in the day. I still think of some of the things he said when I am trying to figure out an issue. I wish the best for him.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • I want to see the Fallout Series go to California, Chicago, or Texas. I think that would be cool. I need to checkout London. I usually dont have high hopes for fan made projects especially after abysmal fail of Fallout: The Frontier... Who knows though. Also, whatever happened to Fallout 4 New Vegas? I remember watching that trailer and getting super hyped but I think it may have died out now because of legal reason. Trailer of Fallout 4 New Vegas

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Gorfmaster1 wrote:

I love Jeffrey Snover. That guy can explain something ultra complicated and make it so I can understand it. What a brilliant mind. I basically learned PowerShell from him (MVA) back in the day. I still think of some of the things he said when I am trying to figure out an issue. I wish the best for him.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm sure there are quite a few of us in the community that partially owe our careers to the brilliant teaching methods and words of Jeffrey Snover.

Big congrats on his retirement from MS!

Spice (6) flagReport
  • LockBit 3.0 introduces the first ransomware bug bounty program

Wat?

Anyone lining up to test?

Spice (1) flagReport
  • "Partially paralyzed man maneuvers a pair of robotic prostheses to feed himself"

Reading stories like this always make my day!

I love hearing how science is used to helped someone instead of being used for destruction.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Ransomware bug bounty???  So the ransomware industry has now reached a level that they are asking the public to assist in making a better weapon?

Sadly, people will chase that mighty bitcoin and help the muggers rob us more efficiently.  smh

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I saw this article recently about a paralyzed race car driver.

Man Paralyzed From Waist Down Uses Microchip Implanted In Brain To Drive Race Car

Spice (5) flagReport
  • At least for this gentleman the cake was not a lie.

Spice (7) flagReport
  • cstockton01 wrote:

I want to see the Fallout Series go to California, Chicago, or Texas. I think that would be cool. I need to checkout London. I usually dont have high hopes for fan made projects especially after abysmal fail of Fallout: The Frontier... Who knows though. Also, whatever happened to Fallout 4 New Vegas? I remember watching that trailer and getting super hyped but I think it may have died out now because of legal reason. Trailer of Fallout 4 New Vegas

Did you ever play Fallout: New Vegas? Not the fan-mod for F4 but the one that was released using the Fallout 3 engine, I believe:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/22380/Fallout_New_Vegas/

Many argue it was the best of the Fallout series and it took place in the Arizona, California, and Nevada areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqzgLipu9PM

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Sean (Spiceworks)​ Yep I've played Fallout New Vegas! I was a fan of Fallout 3 as a kid and ended up getting the Collectors Edition of Fallout New Vegas at GameStop when it came out. I think between Xbox and PC I have over 700 hours probably. PC is the first time I ever got the all the achievements! I picked up modding as well and have done some of the Bounty Hunter series from Nexus mods. Fallout New Vegas to this day is my favorite game ever. I was hoping this year at the Xbox panel just recently that they would announce a FNV Remastered edition but we had no such luck 😢 Maybe next year though!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • jeffreysnover​ Don't be a stranger!  PowerShell is definitely one of the most significant developments in the Windows world in modern memory.  It's hard to imagine life without it now!

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Hmmm, Powershell?  Some comments here aren't so glowing, are they right?  Asking for a friend!

https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2022/05/10/jeffrey_snover_said_microsoft_demoted/

• So now MS will jack up PS modules in the future...great!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Huh, this is my first hearing about Fallout London. Looks pretty awesome! Guess it's time to reinstall Fallout 4.

• Speaking of that Ransomware, you can see our recent article regarding 2022 trends. Go check it out. You'll want as much input on this topic as you can get.

• I will be re-installing Fallout 4 for London and it's Beatles inspired soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJdHXxVjVB4

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Malware bug bounty programme?  I suppose it was only a matter of time before it happened. 😕 

Pity the "Stargazer" pics are merely "artist concept" drawings and not designer renders.

• Partially paralyzed man maneuvers a pair of robotic prostheses to feed himself.  NOW that is a good use of Technology.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • chivo243 wrote:

Hmmm, Powershell?  Some comments here aren't so glowing, are they right?  Asking for a friend!

https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2022/05/10/jeffrey_snover_said_microsoft_demoted/

To be fair, have you ever used PowerShell v1 or 2. They were extremely difficult to use and couldn't do as much as Native Command. It took v3 to really be more user friendly. I don't know the politics of it, but he managed to work his way beyond what he was before the demotion.

• Ryan-D94 wrote:

1 million dollars for bug reports?? This is a bug... this is a bug....oh here's one.

There's this bug where when the application runs it encrypts my system. $1million please!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • ..... helping the criminal enterprise would be illegal in many countries." - lol!

...commence a four-month cruise to NRHO." - what is NRHO?

... The biggest challenge with the proposal right now is that the Stargazer doesn't exist. - I can see that might be a problem

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Briser_fae_the_broch wrote:

..... helping the criminal enterprise would be illegal in many countries." - lol!

...commence a four-month cruise to NRHO." - what is NRHO?

... The biggest challenge with the proposal right now is that the Stargazer doesn't exist. - I can see that might be a problem

....... would you really trust a criminal organization to pay up anyway?

....... Near-Rectillnear Halo Orbit sounds like something that would only work around Uranus (sorry I couldn't resist!)

........I'm facing the same challenge with my Warp drive engine I think my parallel development of the Infinite Improbability Drive may resolve this though.

Spice (7) flagReport
  • Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

"We invite all security researchers, ethical and unethical hackers on the planet to participate in our bug bounty program. The amount of remuneration varies from $1000 to $1 million," reads the LockBit 3.0 bug bounty page.

However, this bug bounty program is a bit different than those commonly used by legitimate companies, as helping the criminal enterprise would be illegal in many countries."

So, "we invite all ethical hackers to become unethical hackers".  Got it!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Honestly, why are we trying to fly people around at roughly 7k mph? Will most people be able to handle the force that is exerted on their body from that speed?

Spice (1) flagReport
  • CaptRobvious wrote:

Honestly, why are we trying to fly people around at roughly 7k mph? Will most people be able to handle the force that is exerted on their body from that speed?

The speed probably isn't particularly relevant as we are moving at approximately 67,000 mph when we think we are standing still!

Of more concern would be the rate of accelleration and decelleration and the start and end of the high speed flight.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • And then there's this: "... have room to seat a maximum of 12 passengers." How do you make a profit running 12 people per flight? I'm going to assume that maintenance on a machine like that will cost many times what a standard aircraft costs. And that's after the actual cost of building any of these in the first place. It's a great exercise in learning how to get to the point where it's actually feasible, but I don't see this having broad implications for general transportation ... 

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...

• No Network Access

No Network Access

Networking

Hello,Suddenly, my Windows 2012R server has NO network access through either of its two nic cards; it is a DELL PE T430. It is configured to get IP info from DHCP, and that works ok; both NICs can get an IP just fine, but after I get the IP address,  I am...

• Understanding VPNs

Understanding VPNs

Security

Hello I'm trying to learn the concept of VPN's and there's some aspect of VPN's I'm not sure about. When I configure a remote access VPN on a Fortigate, I configure the following client range 192.168.3.10-192.168.3.40When the client connects and I do a ro...

• Snap! Outlook crashes, getting phished, supermoon, CyberOne, DALL·E 2 + SpiceRex

Snap! Outlook crashes, getting phished, supermoon, CyberOne, DALL·E 2 + SpiceRex

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. We made it to Friday! Before we consider our weekend plans, let's look back in time. While not the storage we're accustomed to, back on August 12, 1877 (although there appears to be some debate on the actual ...

• Spark! Pro series – 12th August 2022

Spark! Pro series – 12th August 2022

Spiceworks Originals

I want my… I want my…. Spark!    Just a reminder, if you are reading the Spark!, Spice it up. We like it spicy here! Today in History: The IBM PC Introduced August 12, 1981 IBM introduces its ...

• Repeated Attacks on my Firewall - What to Do ??

Repeated Attacks on my Firewall - What to Do ??

Security

I've got a UTM Firewall and I'm constantly getting notifications that someone is trying to gain access through an SSL-VPN. The attacking IP address is almost always different, so blocking the IP every time is not a sustainable solution. They haven't got t...