Home
Join
check
  • In the vswitch properties, uncheck the box "Allow management OS to share this network adapter" - that'll get rid of the host getting a second IP on the VLAN you want the guest on.

Spice (1) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

6 Replies

• You do not detail what OS this is on. I will assume windows server 2016 with hyper-v role. let us know if different.

Using your method of different nics you are correct that you need a new vswitch. Add a new virtual switch of type External and associate with NIC4 only. The host should not get an IP as the nic is not connected to the host operating system. Now add the gust VM to this new virtual switch.

Other methods are possible such as using vlans on the virtual switch. To do this just tag the extra vlan 200 on the physical switch port to the server nic 1. Then in the VM virtual nic settings specify a vlan ID of 220. This is the best method if you will have many vlans.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
    • 2019, but close enough LOL.

The thing that's throwing me off is when I enable nic4 it gets an address.  If I don't enable nic 4 and create a vswitch to use nic 4 the other nic stops working.  (I"m connected via ILO on yet another vlan/lol)

If I enable nic 4 which does seem kind of necessary how to make it "not available" to the host OS.

• In the vswitch properties, uncheck the box "Allow management OS to share this network adapter" - that'll get rid of the host getting a second IP on the VLAN you want the guest on.

Spice (1) flagReport
      2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Added for clarity: If you operate your host “headless” — without keyboard/monitor/mouse, you must either allow the host to share one NIC or not use one NIC for vswitches… if you don’t have a NIC for it to use, you won’t be able to access the host via RDP or other means and you’ll have to plug up a keyboard/monitor to get back in.

• Very valid point.  I have a separate nic but that has bitten me on the keister (funny word to spell) at times

Spice (1) flagReport
    • My3030 wrote:

The classic I'm missing something.  Can I have a separte vlan available on the guest, physically present but not available to the host.

Yes, you should use an external virtual switch with the "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" checkbox disabled https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/hyper-v-networking-101-nics-and-switches as already mentioned above. However, taking a look at your configuration and understanding you are using VLANs, I think your current configuration is a little bit over-engineered. Have you considered embedding all the four ports (or 2 x 2) into a Switch-Embedded Team and using VLANs to isolate the network traffic? This way, you get network redundancy and increased bandwidth (optionally, if your network switch supports that). That will also make your configuration a bit more straightforward, reducing the number of virtual switches you are using.

Read these next...