Home
Join
check
  • Try this:

(1) Run regedit.exe
    (2) Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> jpegfile -> CLSID
    (3) Backup the existing setting before making any changes in case you wish to revert.
    (4) Right-click on “Default” (the Value Name) and select “Modify”
    (5) Change “Value data” from {25336920-03F9-11cf-8FD0-00AA00686F13} to {FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}

Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

5 Replies

• 1. Check for malware like "speed up PC", "tune up PC", "search too, bars" etc installed in the PC

2. right click any jpg file and choose "open with" then go below and click on "choose application" then choose the application. This will set to open jpg with the application you choose.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
    • The computer doesn't have anything malicious or out of place installed on it. It's a pretty bare bones machine

As for the jpg association it's already set to open in the default picture viewer. Opening the link via explorer works as intended it's only when opening the link from inside word that it breaks

• Try this:

(1) Run regedit.exe
      (2) Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> jpegfile -> CLSID
      (3) Backup the existing setting before making any changes in case you wish to revert.
      (4) Right-click on “Default” (the Value Name) and select “Modify”
      (5) Change “Value data” from {25336920-03F9-11cf-8FD0-00AA00686F13} to {FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}

Spice (1) flagReport
      1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • AaronJBerger

This worked!

I looked into your answer and saw the original key is a htmlfile association and the FFE key is windows photo viewer. I assume we are just overriding jpeg files to go directly to photo viewer or whatever is the default for it instead of bouncing through IE?

My one question is do you know what causes this bug? Since on most PCs the 253 key works as intended. Either way, thank you for the assist.

• No exactly sure of why this is a bug, but have seen users complaining about it for a while.

Read these next...

• Comptia Security+ OR CySA+

Comptia Security+ OR CySA+

IT & Tech Careers

Hi Security ProfessionalsI have done a master's in cyber security and looking to pursue CySa+ certification. I have no cyber security market experience but a good knowledge of the cyber security niche. CompTIA Security+ questions seem very easy to me ...

• When are you most focused at work?

When are you most focused at work?

Spiceworks

Distractions come in all shapes and forms; children, pets, notifications… users. Are you the type to block out all interruptions and get your head down as soon as you log in, or do you get started with smaller tasks ...

• Small Office Question

Small Office Question

IT & Tech Careers

I have a "traditional" on-prem small office setup. Server hardware getting a little dated (Dell 12G v current 15G), OS is 2016 Core w/Hyper-V/Server Essentials 2016, < 30 Windows 10 clients, GPO for about 20 mapped drives and printer deployment, less than...

• Web Based Document Management

Web Based Document Management

Best Practices & General IT

I'm looking for a recommendation for a web based, locally hosted document management system. We're needing something to host our companies Policies and Procedures that makes it easier for the staff to pull them up when they need them. Currently they're ju...

• Snap! DuckDuckGo, Google search, Red Hat's CEO, space debris, GeoCities, & more

Snap! DuckDuckGo, Google search, Red Hat's CEO, space debris, GeoCities, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Friday, everyone! You need to hear this. DuckDuckGo browser now blocks all third-party Microsoft trackers As some of you may remember, DuckDuckGo got some, shall we say, feedback a few mon...