Join

9 Replies

• We use Veeam, so I would do it this way:
    1/ Backup to HDD using Veeam Agent
    2/ Move files from HDD to Veeam Backup Repository
    3/Recovery to ESXi

Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I have never had to try it so I don't know for certain.  I don't think so though.  You may want to get a USB-to-Ethernet adapter to have on hand in case it does go south on you.  Plug it in and make sure you have the drivers installed while things are working "okay".

• pkrupicka​ has got it right here... Use a backup solution that supports recovery to VM.

I recently had this experience.

We had a single physical server at a remote site that performed Domain Controller role as well as application for the site.

Over the weekend server failed. Attempts to resurrect it failed. Much like your use case, we could not predict that this was going to happen, but we had been prepared.

We used our Veeam backups to recover the physical image directly to a virtual machine.

Worked flawlessly and the business was not impacted by the downtime since we were able to easily recover before start of business on Monday.

It sounds like you have some time to get some backup solution in place before the system fails entirely.

Jason

Spice (1) flagReport
  • pkrupicka wrote:

We use Veeam, so I would do it this way:
    1/ Backup to HDD using Veeam Agent
    2/ Move files from HDD to Veeam Backup Repository
    3/Recovery to ESXi

JasonValentine wrote:

pkrupicka​ has got it right here... Use a backup solution that supports recovery to VM.

We had a single physical server at a remote site that performed Domain Controller role as well as application for the site.

Over the weekend server failed. Attempts to resurrect it failed. Much like your use case, we could not predict that this was going to happen, but we had been prepared.

We used our Veeam backups to recover the physical image directly to a virtual machine.

Worked flawlessly and the business was not impacted by the downtime since we were able to easily recover before start of business on Monday.

It sounds like you have some time to get some backup solution in place before the system fails entirely.

Jason

OP never even said he had backup....but if a physical server without NIC (like what is posted), how to backup to a repository unless using a very large USB storage device ?

Then what Veeam software unless the OS is supported by Veeam Backup & Replication 11.x (not Veeam Agent for Windows "free") ?

• Need more information like what OS, what is running on the server (DB, DC, AV etc, if any). Any USB ports ? Do you have any large USB storage devices ?

How long does the NIC lasts ? Can it last something like 3hrs to 6 hrs (if running 1TB SATA HDD) to sustain the P2V conversion using VMware standalone converter ?

Why wait to P2V ? 

• adrian_ych

Absolutely valid point. My reply was to just support the indication of the prior poster that using a Backup and Recovery solution would be the best case for this scenario, if they are going to keep running it as a physical system until it fails, then recovery software would create the VM in the least amount of time. The OP did not provide any of the details to support an accurate recommendation for which B&R software would be best. But I also indicated that based on the information we were given it sounds like they have time to think about installing a proper solution after I related my anecdotal experience using Veeam B&R for this exact issue.

I also agree with your 2nd reply which asked the OP, Why Wait? If the NIC is working now, do the P2V and be done with it while you can control the scenario.

Jason

adrian_ych wrote:

JasonValentine wrote:

pkrupicka​ has got it right here... Use a backup solution that supports recovery to VM.

Jason

OP never even said he had backup....but if a physical server without NIC (like what is posted), how to backup to a repository unless using a very large USB storage device ?

Then what Veeam software unless the OS is supported by Veeam Backup & Replication 11.x (not Veeam Agent for Windows "free") ?

• JasonValentine wrote:

adrian_ych

Absolutely valid point. My reply was to just support the indication of the prior poster that using a Backup and Recovery solution would be the best case for this scenario, if they are going to keep running it as a physical system until it fails, then recovery software would create the VM in the least amount of time. The OP did not provide any of the details to support an accurate recommendation for which B&R software would be best. But I also indicated that based on the information we were given it sounds like they have time to think about installing a proper solution after I related my anecdotal experience using Veeam B&R for this exact issue.

I also agree with your 2nd reply which asked the OP, Why Wait? If the NIC is working now, do the P2V and be done with it while you can control the scenario.

Jason

adrian_ych wrote:

JasonValentine wrote:

Jason

Bro....my point to is Veeam have 28 different software....VBR and VAW are just 5 of them (there is VBR for Hyper-v & VMware or VAW free, server & workstation) where each have different backup & recovery options too. If using VAW, I am not sure if can recover to a VM ? Then I do not know if VBR can backup physical servers ?

• I went with adding a USB NIC, and we are using a backup system, Barracuda. I've never used it to restore from physical to virtual, so I'm not 100% sure if that would work. I'm not even sure I can do a physical restore. I've done VMs with Barracuda a couple of times and it works. At this point it's still theoretical, there isn't even enough storage in our current virtual setup. I'm mostly just hoping we don't have any issues before the upgrade.

• There is an option to do a physical disk to local VMDK file conversion using the free V2V Converter https://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-v2v-converter. Then you can move that VMDK file to your ESXi host using an external HDD or whatsoever, create a virtual machine from scratch and attach that existing disk. That will probably be quicker and more straightforward compared to the backup/restore routine.

Read these next...

• No Network Access

No Network Access

Networking

Hello,Suddenly, my Windows 2012R server has NO network access through either of its two nic cards; it is a DELL PE T430. It is configured to get IP info from DHCP, and that works ok; both NICs can get an IP just fine, but after I get the IP address,  I am...

• Understanding VPNs

Understanding VPNs

Security

Hello I'm trying to learn the concept of VPN's and there's some aspect of VPN's I'm not sure about. When I configure a remote access VPN on a Fortigate, I configure the following client range 192.168.3.10-192.168.3.40When the client connects and I do a ro...

• Snap! Outlook crashes, getting phished, supermoon, CyberOne, DALL·E 2 + SpiceRex

Snap! Outlook crashes, getting phished, supermoon, CyberOne, DALL·E 2 + SpiceRex

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. We made it to Friday! Before we consider our weekend plans, let's look back in time. While not the storage we're accustomed to, back on August 12, 1877 (although there appears to be some debate on the actual ...

• Spark! Pro series – 12th August 2022

Spark! Pro series – 12th August 2022

Spiceworks Originals

I want my… I want my…. Spark!    Just a reminder, if you are reading the Spark!, Spice it up. We like it spicy here! Today in History: The IBM PC Introduced August 12, 1981 IBM introduces its ...

• Repeated Attacks on my Firewall - What to Do ??

Repeated Attacks on my Firewall - What to Do ??

Security

I've got a UTM Firewall and I'm constantly getting notifications that someone is trying to gain access through an SSL-VPN. The attacking IP address is almost always different, so blocking the IP every time is not a sustainable solution. They haven't got t...