Home
Join

15 Replies

• If you plan to delete the VM, this will also delete the snapshots - deleting is permanent.

If you need to keep the VM, you will need enough free space for the VM and all of the snapshots totalled plus about 15% more space to perform the merge.

If your snapshots are in the TB range they are either very old or you have a very busy SQL server

Spice (4) flagReport
    4 of 5 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Just to confirm what Rod-IT​ said. 

If you do not intend to keep this system or you have no concern for the data, then you can do whatever you want with it. You do not need to consolidate the snapshots before deleting the system.

My preferred method to remove a system is to right click and select the "Delete from Disk" option rather than unregistering it and messing around with the file system.

IF you care at all about the data or you desire to power it on again in the future, then you will need to properly consolidate the snapshots. Snapshots keep a record of all changes made to a VM Guest. If you were to delete the snapshots you could lose all changes ever made to that system (especially if they are very old). Also, any manual manipulation of the file system almost certainly ensures that you will need to edit the VMX file to repoint the disk definitions.

Jason

• local_offer Tagged Items
    • Rod-ITRod-IT
    Spice (4) flagReport
    2 of 3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Why do you have the practise of keeping snapshots beyond 3 working days ?

If you are going to delete the VM, just power off the VM and choose "delete from disk" via vCenter and everything will be deleted (VM, snapshots & other records in vCenter).

Spice (2) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Can someone enlighten me as to why my reply was unhelpful?

Spice (2) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Rod-IT wrote:

Can someone enlighten me as to why my reply was unhelpful?

I will be surprised if you get an answer. My guess is someone thinks of snapshots as backups

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Rod-IT wrote:

No clue, maybe a mis-click?  Your replies are professional and to the point...

Spice (2) flagReport
  • adrian_ych wrote:

Why do you have the practise of keeping snapshots beyond 3 working days ?

If you are going to delete the VM, just power off the VM and choose "delete from disk" via vCenter and everything will be deleted (VM, snapshots & other records in vCenter).

I can say when I was the VMware admin, snapshots were requested by other admins for running updates\upgrades, and I wouldn't be notified that the updates\upgrades had been applied\successful until I checked up on the progress, maybe a week or two could pass...

Spice (1) flagReport
  • molan​ chivo243

Thank you both.

I asked only for hopefully an insight, if my replies are not helpful and someone is willing to tell me why I can be more mindful in future, however if people are marking the posts down simply because it's not the answer they want to hear - which is also common, it's disheartening when people take their free time to assist others and then have negative responses like marking posts as unhelpful.

Spice (3) flagReport
    5 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Thank you for all your feedback. I was concerned it might try to consolidate first before deletion. I don't need it anymore so it can definitely go permanently. As for why it has such old snapshots, I didn't think it had any, so I apparently completely forgot I created some a couple years back and nothing really has happened till now to tip me off about it. I've even come to know for a while now the snapshots can be bad news, something I doubt I realized back then or I'd never have made any. I will try to delete the VM today.

Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • it went just like you said, no issues, thanks again for all your help!!

• chivo243 wrote:

adrian_ych wrote:

Why do you have the practise of keeping snapshots beyond 3 working days ?

I can say when I was the VMware admin, snapshots were requested by other admins for running updates\upgrades, and I wouldn't be notified that the updates\upgrades had been applied\successful until I checked up on the progress, maybe a week or two could pass...

I would require my VMware admins to treat requests to create manual snapshots as a "system change request" and thus be recorded and input as a calendar event for 3 days or 5 days reminder to remove the snapshots & input into the ERP/CRM as both a record & scheduled reminder (will trigger SMS & email reminders).

• Rod-IT wrote:

Bro....I gave up asking that a long time ago.

The answers I was given was that 
    - answer was not what those people wanted to hear/see
    - answer was not elaborate
    - they did not understooded your answer

I think it was the qn I first got "unhelpful" was something like "RAID 5 with hot spare, good or bad" (cannot remember the exact)
    My answer was like
    - recommended RAID 5 for SSD while RAID 10 for HDD
    - RAID 5 with hot spare might as well use RAID 6 
    But that OP wanted was pro & cons....

• jarenheinecke wrote:

it went just like you said, no issues, thanks again for all your help!!

as a side note you can setup alerts for snapshots past a certain age or size so they don't get forgotten.

• Thank you, I'll have to look into that. It would definitely be helpful.

• jarenheinecke wrote:

a couple snapshots that are over a terabyte each

Consider implementing some sort of monitoring and alerting regarding forgotten snapshots right away. Otherwise, one day, that may become a severe problem that may lead to a serious data loss https://www.vmwareblog.org/snapshots-checkpoints-alone-arent-backups/.
    Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...

• Snap! DDoS attack, Safari  JWST's JavaScript, space-based solar power, One D&D

Snap! DDoS attack, Safari JWST's JavaScript, space-based solar power, One D&D

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. We made it to Friday! And while it was actually a Thursday, if we roll back the clock to August 19, 2004, it was definitely a good day for internet search giant Google (now known as Alphabet) as it had its in...

• Cisco switch mystery problem.

Cisco switch mystery problem.

Networking

I have a Cisco switch that I have to deal with - I have no control over it's configuration and at my facility, there isn't even anyone to ask ( a long story ).  There is a new issue that the ports will close down if another switchis plugged in to it.  The...

• Spark! Pro Series - 8-19-2022

Spark! Pro Series - 8-19-2022

Water Cooler

On this day in 1887 Dmitri Mendeleev will ascend in a balloon solo to 3.5 Km above the earth to view an eclipse. The solo part of this adventure came about when it was discovered that the balloon did not have enoug...

• Few days into new job- I feel so out of place

Few days into new job- I feel so out of place

IT & Tech Careers

I previously posted here about getting offered a Jr net admin position and how nervous I was. Well I’ve started and am 3 days in and I feel so out of place. When I get to work I’m not even sure what I’m supposed to be doing. So I ask. Told to do something...

• Need clarification on this switch configuration

Need clarification on this switch configuration

Networking

Hello,We are having a packet loss company wide once in a while, several times in a day for like 30 seconds everyone's network will stop responding. I'm trying to figure out the problem but the network is complicated. I'm currently looking at this switch w...