Home
Join
check
  • Every time I see this subject, I try to conduct an informal test.  The purpose of the test is not to prove which browser is better.  I just want to believe I'm not throwing memory away feeding a greedy browser.

So this time, I closed my browser, waited a few minutes.  I then started Chrome, Edge, and Firefox and opened the same ten pages on ten tabs on each browser.  The ten pages were:

After waiting > 5 minutes for things to settle down (judged by the CPU used by each), I took this screenshot.

The above doesn't prove anything, but it also doesn't make Chrome out to be the memory hog it's purported to be.

Edit: PS.  I really like Edge.

Spice (22) flagReport
    12 of 13 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

54 Replies

• Chrome's a pig.  Right now I have my usual 5-6 tabs open and it's eating 2GB.

Spice (11) flagReport
      5 of 6 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Chrome has always been a pig

Spice (14) flagReport
      4 of 5 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Try giving Edge a spin. It runs on Chromium but manages memory much better.

As of version 101, I've actually started seeing Windows complain about poor memory management in Event Viewer.

Spice (6) flagReport
      2 of 3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • As above, Chrome eats memory but doing some things like stopping background apps, removing unused extensions, closing additional tabs, etc could reduce memory usage a little bit.

Spice (4) flagReport
      1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Thanks!  I thought Chrome was the go to browser!  It IS the most popular right now, right? 

When I stumble into Edge, it seems slower than chrome?  Nothing scientific.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
    • Use a Chrome extension that suspends tabs.  The most well known of these is "The Great Suspender" however it has had malware controversies after it was sold to a new owner.  It is still useful as term to search "Great suspender alternatives". If you think The Great Suspender is the best option then you can download version 7.1.6 which is the last version release from the original owner and free from the controversy.

Google has introduced their own suspension option called Tab Freeze. " Tab Freezing is an experimental feature. ... In Chrome Canary, several options are available for tab freezing if you head to chrome://flags and search for “Tab Freeze.” With this option enabled, Chrome will automatically freeze “eligible” tabs after they've been in the background for five minutes."  I have to tried it so don't test it on important tabs.

Spice (4) flagReport
    • LookingToAlwaysLearn wrote:

Thanks!  I thought Chrome was the go to browser! 

That's personal choice, I hate Chrome, I would never use it.

LookingToAlwaysLearn wrote:

It IS the most popular right now, right? 

Just because it's popular doesn't make it the right choice, many people probably moved to Chrome on Windows 7 to avoid IE, long before Edge was available, but the Brave browser has increased 5000% in the last year because people are concerned about privacy.

That's personal perception, but without a definition of what slow is, it's just an opinion.

Chrome is also known to grow wildly storing vast amounts of cached data - which is generally useless caching data in a dynamic world.

Chrome has also been the victim of about 15 0-day, in the wild vulnerabilities.

Each to their own, but use the browser right for the job, not the one that is most popular, unless it so happens to be the right one.

All above said, many companies we work with are ditching Chrome in favour of Edge because of the above mentioned issues.

Spice (8) flagReport
      5 of 9 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • I personally use Edge at work and Firefox at home. They are both great browsers.

Spice (3) flagReport
      0 of 1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • The-Guido

Wow!  There's a lot of things on that page.

I did search and tab freeze isn't there.

Seems it started with chrome 79... and left at some point before now 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146276-how-enable-disable-tab-freezing-google-chrome.html

But then that page talks of  Calculate window occlusion on Windows

which IS on the page.  Sounds like it does what tab freeze did?  I enabled 'Calculate window occlusion on Windows', but what I am seeing is that default (what it was set at) is the same as enabled ; ( 

• Every time I see this subject, I try to conduct an informal test.  The purpose of the test is not to prove which browser is better.  I just want to believe I'm not throwing memory away feeding a greedy browser.

So this time, I closed my browser, waited a few minutes.  I then started Chrome, Edge, and Firefox and opened the same ten pages on ten tabs on each browser.  The ten pages were:

After waiting > 5 minutes for things to settle down (judged by the CPU used by each), I took this screenshot.

The above doesn't prove anything, but it also doesn't make Chrome out to be the memory hog it's purported to be.

Spice (22) flagReport
      12 of 13 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Rod-IT wrote:

Thanks!  I thought Chrome was the go to browser! 

That's personal choice, I hate Chrome, I would never use it.

It IS the most popular right now, right? 

Chrome has also been the victim of about 15 0-day, in the wild vulnerabilities.

After Edge became Chromium based, are there examples of a zero day that affected Chrome, but not Edge?

Spice (5) flagReport
      3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • I have 17 tabs open atm (3 are Spiceworks), using only about 1.5 GB out of 16 GB.  

Chrome is fine by me!

• "Chrome is a memory hog?"

Yes. Next question?

Spice (7) flagReport
      1 of 2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Modern browsers do quite a bit of work these days. It's pretty much another operating system. 

As I understand it, Chrome (and similar browsers) will use nearly all the available memory you have. But it doesn't keep it all to itself. If you launch another app, it'll free up memory for that. 

You can see that Chrome is using a bunch of memory but your computer's performance doesn't really decline. 

Spice (1) flagReport
    • It does seems like that. That why I look to alternative Chromium like browsers like Iron I use which isn't as much of memory hog like Chrome alone seems to be.

• I prefer Firefox, but Chrome is more memory efficient. (I know!) 

Firefox can get VERY chewy towards the end of the day. 

YMMV

Thanks!  I thought Chrome was the go to browser!  It IS the most popular right now, right? 

Is your Edge still set to the default home page on open? It's some nonsense built by Microsoft that takes about 17 times longer to load than any other website. If you switch that to something else, your Edge opening time will dramatically decrease.

Spice (2) flagReport
    • I'd love to try your test on my machine, but I'd have to close 50 important tabs first....  in both Edge and Firefox...

Spice (3) flagReport
    • I don't think it makes much of a difference what browser you use nowadays. We are asking the browser to do more and more then complain when it starts using up memory

Spice (3) flagReport
    • All browsers these days hog memory.  Only some of it is the browser though; we need to blame websites that are poorly coded, whose resources are poorly optimized, have large amounts of rich media (also sometimes poorly optimized), high-resolution content, etc.

This is pretty much a "In other words, water is wet, film at eleven." What you can do is get a good ad-blocker extension, or a browser that is good at blocking certain types of elements (like Brave, which I'd use over Chrome any day), and more.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • I don't know if Chrome is worse at handling memory than other browsers or not. I do know that last month one of our techs solved a persistent printing problem. When they attempted to print a PDF file containing a technical drawing to one of the plotters, at least half of the time the print job would freeze requiring them to shut down Adobe Acrobat, and sometimes they would have to restart the workstation. This tech realized one day that if he shut down Chrome the print job went through immediately. And if he shuts Chrome down before printing to any of the plotters, he has no problems printing. If he forgets and leaves Chrome open there's a good chance the print job will freeze.

• Chrome open, 6 Tabs - 620MB of ram used.

1 is spotify (not playing).

1 is a really little website that could have been written in the 90s it is that basic.

3 are a quite in depth blog.

1 is this thread here.

it really is a big memory hog but it does better than the others so i guess that is what life is nowadays and i compensate with more memory.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • the 49 tabs might be a bit of the problem, depending on what content is running in each tab. Reminds me of the Xfinity add I hear on the radio where they say have 128 people over, all streaming a movie and there is no slow down in your internet.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • 49 tabs?  Homer couldn't even drink 49 tabs...  Really when you reach the 20 mark things really start to slow down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGzkUgTgpa4

• Let Chrome use it??? Would you rather your RAM go unused? Are you experiencing issues from the usage?

Spice (1) flagReport
    • I've personally only been testing Brave browser for a couple of days, but I would recommend giving it a shot. It also runs on chromium and seems to be handling memory wayyyyyy better than Chrome & Firefox. (This is my experience with the browser so far) I haven't tested side-by-side, but it might do about as good as Edge, if not better.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • I think earlier versions of Chrome used to have memory issues but I think that has been fixed now.

I mostly use Edge these days - they've recently added a function that suspends any tab that isn't used to free resources.

I do wonder why on earth you need 49 pages open at the same time though????????

Spice (2) flagReport
    • YMMV, with 16 tabs open including one YouTube video I'm seeing 575-600 MB in use. Chrome has improved since the days when I had  4 GB of RAM and had to close Chrome to start VMware Player. (a tale in and of itself as to why I was running VMware on a laptop with 4GB RAM)

FWIW Firefox is using over 400 MB to run one tab.

• You are correct that Chrome is the most popular browser currently but that doesn't mean it is the best, or the worst.  What it does mean is that as an I.T. professional probably you have to be familiar with it in general and if you are a help desk tech in a workplace that uses it heavily then you need to know it's main settings.  Basically treat it like any other random app that you have to help with.  Also you need to be aware that some sites may only test against Chrome and they may break with other browsers but that is getting rare.  All that doesn't mean YOU have to normally use it, just maybe have it installed for troubleshooting purposes.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Edge for the win! lol

I stopped using Chrome because of audio issues.  I also have Brave and Opera GX. 

• When I stumble into Edge, it seems slower than chrome? Nothing scientific.

##reminds me of a client saying my machine is slow.  What is slow about it? Idk

• forty. nine. tabs. the mere thought of this makes my ocd to into overload. i have a few users that do similar(think 17 tabs open on startup) then complain that the system is lagging lol. I'll never understand why. what can possibly be accomplished in this way??

Spice (2) flagReport
    • Why is there a question mark at the end of the headline?

Spice (3) flagReport
    • Rewritten title....

$Browser is a memory hog?

Answer, yes. Every time yes.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Chrome can eat a lot of memory yeah. I switched a while back to Opera GX since it has some cool control options and I can still all my extensions. 

Running chrome  102.0.5005.115.

My edition is reporting version 103.0.5060.53. So I fear that your version may still include published 0-day vulnerabilities. Perhaps time for an update of your web browser.

I will open a bunch of tabs during the day (right now, 49). 

It doesn't matter much how many tabs you open during the day. It does matter more, how many you've open simultaneously. So if you opened 49 tabs during a day but never have open more than 5-8, you'll see that your version of Chrome web browser will need much less memory. I don't know why you opened 49 tabs simultaneously. When I have so many tabs open, then it is usually due to some bug or some attack. The bug may be on the web site or in the web browser or a combination of both. And it is known that attackers like to distribute their attack via websites, e.g. built into ads they may distribute over popular websites.

• How do you view 49 web tabs simultaneously?
      • How do you process 49 web tabs simultaneously?
      • Why do you open 49 web tabs simultaneously?
      • Why did you keep open 49 web tabs simultaneously?

I've noticed that when I go into task manager, it'll show chrome taking up lots of memory and with loads of processes - about as many as tabs open.

Your counting is wrong. You should have more processes associated with Chrome than you have web tabs open. Please have a closer look.

• To which task manager do you refer, to the one of your Windows operating system or to the one of your Chrome web browser?

Any other ways to free up RAM related to Chrome and having a bunch of windows open other than: 

 add more RAM

 Remove some extensions

 don't open as many tabs?  Yes, I don't need all those / will likely close them at some point. 

You should start first with closing your unneeded resp. no longer needed web tabs. It is easy to open those again when the need arises again. I can't see a need to have that many web tabs open simultaneously and you didn't disclose any reason neither.

So another option is to uninstall the Chrome web browser. You didn't disclose why you selected or needed Chrome web browser. So I guess that you either don't need a web browser or any other web browser might fit you needs as well. And if you don't have many resources on your (Lenovo ?) computer, you may use a different web browser with need for far less resources. When running computers or mobiles with 2 GB of RAM or even less, I used text based web browsers, eventually in the non-GUI mode of an operating system so that even the overhead of a GUI desktop for installed operating system, you may user your computers resources much more efficiently. I used Lynx​ and seldom ELinks for such context and use cases.

• local_offer Tagged Items
      • LynxLynxstar5
      0 of 2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Interesting puzzling findings. It is weird that Edge based on Chrome appears to perform different than Chrome itself. 

Installing browsers on different OSs will produce different results. At the moment, I am using a Chromebook with 4 GB of RAM, I have 46 tabs open but not doing much and have quick snappy performance. Looking at "top" and "free" in the terminal I see that CPU usage is very low and appear not be using much of the RAM as there is 2.8 GB free. I think that Chromebooks have zram enabled to compress the ram storage and Windows also has a ram compression ability.

• In this opion based article, I'm going to through in that I over the recent years I went from being Firefox with Chrome as secondary, to Chrome being primary and Firefox being secondary, and now I'm pretty much using Edge and then one of the other two for secondary.

My last switch I just started to find Chrome would chew memory like nothing else, causing system freezes and instability.  The exact same thing I had seen prior when Firefox was the culprit.  
      So far I'm not seeing that same issue with (Chromium) Edge, but it is early days.

• Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome]
      "SitePerProcess"=dword:00000001
      "ChromeCleanupEnabled"=dword:00000001
      "TabLifecyclesEnabled"=dword:00000001
      "IntensiveWakeUpThrottlingEnabled"=dword:00000001
      "TabFreezingEnabled"=dword:00000001
      "NativeWindowOcclusionEnabled"=dword:00000001
      "WindowOcclusionEnabled"=dword:00000001

Reduces memory usage and CPU cycles

• I like Brave for personal use as some others here have mentioned, but it was not originally suitable for corporate use. Now, it supports Chrome's GPOs, so it could make sense to consider it. However, if you're a Microsoft shop, I would advise using Edge since you can have all your users sign in with their corporate account to sync everything which will save you a lot of headaches.

https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039248271-Group-Policy

• It has happened to me that I had several users who, when printing PDF documents, the printing would freeze if they had Chrome open. We decided to use Microsoft Edge and we have not had any problems.

• Stopped using chrome ages ago - Edge is my main browser now, with Brave for my personal stuff.

• I ran into a similar issue with Chrome consuming a lot of CPU on a Terminal Services server. When you install Chrome it automatically checks off the "Help Make Chrome better".  Check to see if this is turned on and if it is, shut it off. To do that:

On your computer, open Chrome.

At the top right, click More then Settings.

Click You and Google  then click on Sync and Google services.

Turn Help improve Chrome's features and performance on or off.

Shutting this off DRASTICALLY reduced the CPU consumption on my server(s).

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Using an ad block can save some resources!

In this page uBlock blocked 24 ads

Spice (1) flagReport
      2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • I don't need the nitty gritty details but how in the world do you have 49 tabs of relevant content open for Chrome? Like do you really need that many open? I not trying to be mean I'm just curious.

This post to me kind of sounded like on of those school math problems where Timmy goes to the store and buys 27 watermelons. Does he need all those watermelons? No... but can he buy all of them? Sure... LOL

Spice (1) flagReport
    • spicehead-2x5mo 

What's that registry command do?!

cstockton01

Great question!  I love the analogy! : ) 

I'll click on links in email or on pages, they open in another tab and I mean to get to it.  And / or I DO read it and don't close the tab.  Just sloppy?  Keep it open in case I want to come back to it? too lazy to remember to click on the x on the tab at top?

Monday morning - looking now, I have 8 tabs open.  1 is a google maps route I did Sunday.  Dilbert from Saturday.  a client called about an internet outage and there's a couple tabs from Comcast. and a few others, besides this one.

Does opening in tabs use more / less resources than opening as windows?

Spice (1) flagReport
    • It is and has been a gluttonous piggy for a long time. I only use it for the antiquated web sites and appliance UI's that require it.

Goto for me is Duckduckgo browser followed by Safari or Firefox...

• ich.ni.san wrote:

...After waiting > 5 minutes for things to settle down (judged by the CPU used by each), I took this screenshot.

I noticed your machine was at 91% memory use.  Do you mind repeating the test and posting the results with only one browser open at a time?

Does opening in tabs use more / less resources than opening as windows?
      • What prevents you on running this test yourself?
      • Where do you get blocked with your tests?

I would expect that using a count of web browser windows would cost you slightly more computing resources than using the same amount of tabs. And keep in mind that Chrome also has a builtin scheduler. You'll not be limited to the scheduler of your operating system.

• Are the 49 tabs vital? Or is it just a matter of convenience? It's my understanding that every web page is a bit like installing Chrome (or any app) again and running it concurrently. In other words, you do not have one instance of Chrome running 49 pages. You have 49 instances of Chrome running. 

Read these next...

• No Network Access

No Network Access

Networking

Hello,Suddenly, my Windows 2012R server has NO network access through either of its two nic cards; it is a DELL PE T430. It is configured to get IP info from DHCP, and that works ok; both NICs can get an IP just fine, but after I get the IP address,  I am...

• Understanding VPNs

Understanding VPNs

Security

Hello I'm trying to learn the concept of VPN's and there's some aspect of VPN's I'm not sure about. When I configure a remote access VPN on a Fortigate, I configure the following client range 192.168.3.10-192.168.3.40When the client connects and I do a ro...

• Snap! Outlook crashes, getting phished, supermoon, CyberOne, DALL·E 2 + SpiceRex

Snap! Outlook crashes, getting phished, supermoon, CyberOne, DALL·E 2 + SpiceRex

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. We made it to Friday! Before we consider our weekend plans, let's look back in time. While not the storage we're accustomed to, back on August 12, 1877 (although there appears to be some debate on the actual ...

• Spark! Pro series – 12th August 2022

Spark! Pro series – 12th August 2022

Spiceworks Originals

I want my… I want my…. Spark!    Just a reminder, if you are reading the Spark!, Spice it up. We like it spicy here! Today in History: The IBM PC Introduced August 12, 1981 IBM introduces its ...

• Repeated Attacks on my Firewall - What to Do ??

Repeated Attacks on my Firewall - What to Do ??

Security

I've got a UTM Firewall and I'm constantly getting notifications that someone is trying to gain access through an SSL-VPN. The attacking IP address is almost always different, so blocking the IP every time is not a sustainable solution. They haven't got t...