Home
Join

45 Replies

• "Over Half of New Employees Have Never Laid Eyes IRL on Their Coworkers"

And we wonder why population growth is slowing.

Spice (19) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Isn't it amazing we can remotely update code on a device built 19 years ago that is millions of miles away in Space but Microsoft sometimes can't update software written last year!

Spice (39) flagReport
  • Lol @ nuclear power on the moon. Far more advanced civilizations are already there :)

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I work in office and I don't think I've met even half of my coworkers face to face. My company is very relaxed on their work from home policy that is supposed to be 3 days in office. Oh well, at least its pretty peaceful at my desk!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • As I get older, the snail's pace of space exploration becomes painfully clear. I wonder how engineers feel starting a project they know they will not be alive to see the end of.

Spice (7) flagReport
  • Mars Express orbiter to get code update after 19 years:  I hope this isn't to address a zero day exploit...

NASA picks three companies to develop lunar nuclear power systems: Space 1999 anyone?

Spice (4) flagReport
  • PCI 7 ? Intel has barely started rolling out PCI 4!  

Spice (9) flagReport
  • It's hard enough to update code on our servers that are in our network, I can't imagine how bad it is to update an orbiter millions of miles away!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I'm kind of jealous of the employees who haven't seen their coworkers in person. Our company went WFH in 2020 for anyone who could do their jobs without physically being onsite. IT only went in when we had to physically touch something. Our Help Desk is back onsite full-time (by choice) since last summer. Admins can still WFH but we usually go in at least one or two days a week. I've also gone in every day for weeks straight, just due to projects. 

I get much more done working at home because I am not constantly stopped by my coworkers. They stop at my desk "Oh, I didn't know you were here today. I know this breaks protocol, but I have a question...". They stop me while walking through the building. In the seven minutes it takes to walk through one of the production buildings, I can usually expect to get stopped two to three times. No joke. Sometimes it's just social talk but still. 

I think it's time to move out of state while we still have WFH on the books. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I awaiting the day I'm able to take a bus ride to the moon and visit my intergalactic after a long work day at the Mars office 😅😂 In all honesty though, I wonder how bad a nuclear disaster would be on Mars? If we accidentally blew up about 1/6 of the moon could we cause serious disruption in sleep cycles, sea tide levels, etc.? I dont know im just guessing at this point LOL

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Briser_fae_the_broch wrote:

Isn't it amazing we can remotely update code on a device built 19 years ago that is millions of miles away in Space but Microsoft sometimes can't update software written last year!

Spice (5) flagReport
  • We are all in our dungeons, I mean basements happy to be alone and working/gaming/binge watching! haha

CooperJS1​ I think the more I get older the less I want to interact with people. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I will admit that I'm jealous of the whole WFH thing.

Been working onsite since before the whole rona scare started.  the only thing that changed for me is that it's a lot harder to communicate with vendors and support

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

I know we sometimes joke about having to support older technology, but how many of you have to support technology that is almost two decades old that hasn't seen any updates since it launched? 

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present Lotus Notes...

Spice (15) flagReport
  • I'm curious - how do Europol "confiscate" crytocurrency?

Spice (3) flagReport
  • cstockton01 wrote:

I wonder how bad a nuclear disaster would be on Mars? If we accidentally blew up about 1/6 of the moon could we cause serious disruption in sleep cycles, sea tide levels, etc.? I dont know im just guessing at this point LOL

It would be bad for anyone standing next to the reactor, but the moon wouldn't care one bit

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I haven't done any WFH and as soon as they could my company started getting people back in the office. Upper management here seems more concerned that you are visible and put your hours in than output. Despite the fact we have another building down the road with plenty of office space, they are reluctant to use it because they want to see you.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Briser_fae_the_broch wrote:

Isn't it amazing we can remotely update code on a device built 19 years ago that is millions of miles away in Space but Microsoft sometimes can't update software written last year!

Probably because MS doesn't QA their code anymore and I bet NASA tests the snot out of their code before sending updates. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 40kW isn't very much power by many standards. I have a 60kW service on my house. I have frequently found myself wishing for more, though that has improved significantly since changing to LED light bulbs and LCD TVs and monitors. NASA must be going for extreme power efficiency on their missions.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Space 1999 - A moonbase crew fights for survival in the aftermath of a massive explosion that shifts the moon from its orbit into space.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • We just wrote about the many different types of Phishing emails in this blog post. Go check it out!

• DailyLlama wrote:

Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

I know we sometimes joke about having to support older technology, but how many of you have to support technology that is almost two decades old that hasn't seen any updates since it launched? 

I can't tell you how many dozens of times I accidentally logged out of that software while trying to check for email, because F5 was how you LOG OUT, unlike EVERY OTHER PROGRAM where it is the refresh button.  LOL.  Been 17 years since I've used that software, and that's about the only thing I remember of it.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • NASA picks three companies to develop lunar nuclear power systems

Spice (6) flagReport
  • "PCI Express 7 will be eight times faster than PCI Express 5"

Isn't it 4x not 8x? 

512 GB/s is 4 x 128 GB/s, not 8 x

• CooperJS1 wrote:

"Over Half of New Employees Have Never Laid Eyes IRL on Their Coworkers"

Presumably they have laid eyes on non-coworkers though....

• I'm beginning to think that Cloudflare is the biggest single point of failure on the Internet. 

BGP almost always seems to be in the middle of these massive non-malicious, oft self-inflicted failures, and I'm really surprised we don't see more malicious acts exploiting its vulnerabilities. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Found the PCMag study super fascinating that many new employees have not met their coworkers face-to-face. I hardly even think about that since I get a lot of the same feelings meeting over video call that I remember from the in-person workplace. In many ways I think if you intentionally and regularly communicate using technology, work relationships built remotely can be just as deep as those formed in-person. When else are you a couple of feet away from others in-person like you are on video calls?

And as for the increase in vishing attacks, Webroot offers a mobile security app that can detect malware on your mobile devices. Check out more info here to protect against various social engineering tactics and scan for threats.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • wow that PCI Express 7 Speed is seriously impressive!

• DailyLlama wrote:

Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

I feel your pain. I look forward to the day we can finally shut our Notes servers down.

• molan wrote:

PCI 7 ? Intel has barely started rolling out PCI 4!  

Lol, I was thinking the same.  At least that was the case for awhile, then Alder Lake finally ratcheted up the heat to PCIe 5, granted there's still some PCIe 4 in there as well.

The need for having the very latest version of PCIe is really only for high-performance servers and special niche applications.

• Where to start?
    New employees haven't seen co-workers IN REAL LIFE... There are those of us who have, and wish we hadn't. Follow up, half my co-workers have never actually been seen working, on anything.

PCI 7 better farther, faster than PCI 5.. Yawn. Does it come with new blue-green sparkles? old reference to Aqua-Fresh.

Oh Cloudfare, you crack me up. In unison now, you 3 technicians type copy-run-start for that router and we'll see which one gets the update! All together now!

OK that SNAP was a cheerful uptick in my day.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Mars Express orbiter to get code update after 19 years - I'm hoping the update doesn't brick the thing. 

Spice (5) flagReport
  • PCIe now right be like:

• Spicy Joseph wrote:

"PCI Express 7 will be eight times faster than PCI Express 5"

Isn't it 4x not 8x? 

Perhaps because of this:
    "The 512GB/s bi-directional speeds will be available on x16 connections"

512GB/S in both directions simultaneously. If that's what they meant.

• Lunar base?! Yes please! Hopefully I get to see it within my lifetime. 

I wonder how long it took to send that update to the satellite, and how big it was.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Lunar nuclear power plants you say, all I heard was...

Spice (6) flagReport
  • John5152 wrote:

I'm curious - how do Europol "confiscate" crytocurrency?

They send out the olice.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I'm thankful that my job takes the time to make sure that even the remote workers get involved with their co-workers outside of just passing along work. It's made for a nice environment even from home.

• Bill6168 wrote:

I get much more done working at home because I am not constantly stopped by my coworkers. They stop at my desk "Oh, I didn't know you were here today. I know this breaks protocol, but I have a question...". They stop me while walking through the building. In the seven minutes it takes to walk through one of the production buildings, I can usually expect to get stopped two to three times. No joke. Sometimes it's just social talk but still. 

I think it's time to move out of state while we still have WFH on the books. 

I remember back when we were all "working in the office", there were often times when it would take 15-30 minutes for me to traverse the 10 metres between my office and our department's door ... sigh!  Those were the days! 😏 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • MCEStaff wrote:

Spicy Joseph wrote:

"PCI Express 7 will be eight times faster than PCI Express 5"

Isn't it 4x not 8x? 

Perhaps because of this:
    "The 512GB/s bi-directional speeds will be available on x16 connections"

512GB/S in both directions simultaneously. If that's what they meant.

I thought PCI5 was already bi-directional and up to x16.

• CooperJS1 wrote:

Couldn't possibly be the expense of children and the cost of living. 

Nope. Gotta be 2 years of not schmoozing with co workers. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Patrick.D wrote:

CooperJS1 wrote:

Couldn't possibly be the expense of children and the cost of living. 

Nope. Gotta be 2 years of not schmoozing with co workers. 

I wouldn't have put it so bluntly... But yeah, I'm fairly certain that for most it's that we simply can't afford to have kids. Not to mention the fact that in 10-20 years time Thunderdome could very well be a popular pastime. 

Regardless - Even if I could afford kids, work is the LAST place I'd be looking for someone to have them with.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I work in a pretty small medical office, and there have been employees over the past two years that I have only met mask to mask, so I didn't recognize them when I saw them without their masks on. Fortunately, that is changing...

• molan wrote:

My thought as well. I don't know if I even have a PCI 4 motherboard at home.

• DougS-GT wrote:

molan wrote:

My thought as well. I don't know if I even have a PCI 4 motherboard at home.

If you are running intel probably not.  When I looked last intel only had 1 or 2 boards released.

AMD adopted PCI-E V4 years ago though so if you run AMD your chances are good

Read these next...

• Snap! DDoS attack, Safari  JWST's JavaScript, space-based solar power, One D&D

Snap! DDoS attack, Safari JWST's JavaScript, space-based solar power, One D&D

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. We made it to Friday! And while it was actually a Thursday, if we roll back the clock to August 19, 2004, it was definitely a good day for internet search giant Google (now known as Alphabet) as it had its in...

• Cisco switch mystery problem.

Cisco switch mystery problem.

Networking

I have a Cisco switch that I have to deal with - I have no control over it's configuration and at my facility, there isn't even anyone to ask ( a long story ).  There is a new issue that the ports will close down if another switchis plugged in to it.  The...

• Spark! Pro Series - 8-19-2022

Spark! Pro Series - 8-19-2022

Water Cooler

On this day in 1887 Dmitri Mendeleev will ascend in a balloon solo to 3.5 Km above the earth to view an eclipse. The solo part of this adventure came about when it was discovered that the balloon did not have enoug...

• Few days into new job- I feel so out of place

Few days into new job- I feel so out of place

IT & Tech Careers

I previously posted here about getting offered a Jr net admin position and how nervous I was. Well I’ve started and am 3 days in and I feel so out of place. When I get to work I’m not even sure what I’m supposed to be doing. So I ask. Told to do something...

• Need clarification on this switch configuration

Need clarification on this switch configuration

Networking

Hello,We are having a packet loss company wide once in a while, several times in a day for like 30 seconds everyone's network will stop responding. I'm trying to figure out the problem but the network is complicated. I'm currently looking at this switch w...