Home
Join

47 Replies

  • intentionally allows Microsoft trackers third-party sites due to a search syndication agreement with Redmond. - also known as pay us enough money and you'll get it.

    Spice (35) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Random Parts wrote:

    intentionally allows Microsoft trackers third-party sites due to a search syndication agreement with Redmond. - also known as pay us enough money and you'll get it.

    Yeah, I switched to Brave Search, and sometimes have to fall back to Google to get broader results, it's a shame that money makes the world go around...  and we don't get to put the price tag on our privacy🙄

    Spice (16) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I checked out build yesterday.  

    CoderDojo sounded interesting, but unfortunately there are none anywhere near my location

    https://coderdojo.com/

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I am less concerned with the tracking aspect of DuckDuckGo, and more concerned with the censorship. DuckDuckGo allows me to find retailers of things Google feels they should gatekeep.

    I also feel that Wall-e made it difficult to not personify landers and robots.  Especially when Nasa sends tweets out as if they are the landers... and their last tweets are... "It's getting dark" 

    I just cannot handle that...

    Spice (15) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Does anyone know what happened to the modules on top of the rover from the first selfie? It looks like 3 objects are missing from the top of the rover:

    First Selfie: 

    Last Selfie:

    Edit: For anyone interested I found the info I was looking for here: https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/spacecraft/instruments/summary/

    Spice (7) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • NASA Solar Sail - I'm just now finishing up the Revenger series (Steam Punk Sci-Fi Pirates) where the main mode of space travel is via "sun jammers", solar sail powered space craft, complete with cannon ported broadsides.  NASA may have read the series also.

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • It's for young people so I am out. 

    molan wrote:

    I checked out build yesterday.  

    CoderDojo sounded interesting, but unfortunately there are none anywhere near my location

    https://coderdojo.com/

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • pcase2 wrote:

    Does anyone know what happened to the modules on top of the rover from the first selfie? It looks like 3 objects are missing from the top of the rover:

    First Selfie: 

    Last Selfie:

    Decepticons.

    • local_offer Tagged Items
    • pcase2pcase2
    Spice (15) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Et tu, DuckDuckGo??

    The Duck is so dead to me now...what a betrayal....

    Spice (15) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Oh man, that's a shame about DDG. On to brave search, I guess. It looks promising. 

    Spice (5) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Can't believe that there isn't a way to shake the panels to get the dust off, or something.

    Spice (7) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Maybe NASA's next rover will carry a little broom to periodically clean the dust off of itself.

    Spice (9) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I stand by my suggestion to equip rovers with 'dust-wipers' going forward, that use battery power to sweep dust off the solar panels.

    Solar sail thing is cool, but don't the Sun's outcast photons only move in a singular direction- away from the sun? How are you going to use that energy to move laterally, let alone inwards? How long will it take to get these satellites into position?

    Spice (10) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • So I read this about DuckDuckGo on bleepingcomputer.com, directly quoting Gabriel Weinberg, CEO of DuckDuckGo:

    "We have always been extremely careful to never promise anonymity when browsing, because that frankly isn’t possible given how quickly trackers change how they work to evade protections and the tools we currently offer. When most other browsers on the market talk about tracking protection, they are usually referring to 3rd-party cookie protection and fingerprinting protection, and our browsers for iOS, Android, and our new Mac beta, impose these restrictions on third-party tracking scripts, including those from Microsoft.

    What we're talking about here is an above-and-beyond protection that most browsers don't even attempt to do — that is, blocking third-party tracking scripts before they load on 3rd party websites. Because we're doing this where we can, users are still getting significantly more privacy protection with DuckDuckGo than they would using Safari, Firefox and other browsers. This blog post we published gets into the real benefits users enjoy from this approach, like faster load times (46% average decrease) and less data transferred (34% average decrease). Our goal has always been to provide the most privacy we can in one download, by default without any complicated settings."

    Then I deleted all of my DuckDuckGo apps and search engines. If the above isn't corporate BS, I don't know what is.

    This is likely the first step of many by DuckDuckGo and I want no part of it.

    Spice (11) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • We had a major dust storm here yesterday evening. This morning, everything looked like that poor rover.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • DuckDuckGo


    Spice (18) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • DailyLlama wrote:

    Can't believe that there isn't a way to shake the panels to get the dust off, or something.

    I'm picturing a flapping motion like a duck makes, once per wing, err, panel. After the motions, the dust is cleared and it would have power again. 

    Specifically, the command would be Duck, Duck ... GO!

    Spice (8) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • My question is why didn't they put like wiper blades on the solar panels so that the Rover could last longer??

    Spice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • HulkSmash72 wrote:

    It's for young people so I am out. 

    molan wrote:

    I checked out build yesterday.  

    CoderDojo sounded interesting, but unfortunately there are none anywhere near my location

    https://coderdojo.com/

    Yes.  My daughter expressed interest in a similar paid program (Code Ninjas) but the cost is to high for my budget currently so I was temporarily excited about an alternative.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Bakedtoast wrote:

    I stand by my suggestion to equip rovers with 'dust-wipers' going forward, that use battery power to sweep dust off the solar panels.

    Solar sail thing is cool, but don't the Sun's outcast photons only move in a singular direction- away from the sun? How are you going to use that energy to move laterally, let alone inwards? How long will it take to get these satellites into position?

    Similar to tacking allowing a sailboat to sail into the wind?

    Spice (5) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • CooperJS1 wrote:

    So I read this about DuckDuckGo on bleepingcomputer.com, directly quoting Gabriel Weinberg, CEO of DuckDuckGo:

    "We have always been extremely careful to never promise anonymity when browsing, because that frankly isn’t possible given how quickly trackers change how they work to evade protections and the tools we currently offer. When most other browsers on the market talk about tracking protection, they are usually referring to 3rd-party cookie protection and fingerprinting protection, and our browsers for iOS, Android, and our new Mac beta, impose these restrictions on third-party tracking scripts, including those from Microsoft.

    What we're talking about here is an above-and-beyond protection that most browsers don't even attempt to do — that is, blocking third-party tracking scripts before they load on 3rd party websites. Because we're doing this where we can, users are still getting significantly more privacy protection with DuckDuckGo than they would using Safari, Firefox and other browsers. This blog post we published gets into the real benefits users enjoy from this approach, like faster load times (46% average decrease) and less data transferred (34% average decrease). Our goal has always been to provide the most privacy we can in one download, by default without any complicated settings."

    Then I deleted all of my DuckDuckGo apps and search engines. If the above isn't corporate BS, I don't know what is.

    This is likely the first step of many by DuckDuckGo and I want no part of it.


    Spice (12) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • You'd think a dewalt leaf-blower attached to the rover might allow it to blow the dust off as well. Come on, charge the leaf blower with the solar panels, the leaf blower cleans off the panels, its perfect symbiosis. 

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Meanwhile DDG is running this commercial:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWpPyYlZXNI

    Spice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • MarkPayton wrote:e inwards? How long will it take to get these satellites into position?

    Similar to tacking allowing a sailboat to sail into the wind?

    Tacking requires the resistance of the keel in the water. I guess a space craft would have to use a thruster of some sort.

    Spice (5) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I'm geeking out over the solar sails idea.

    Spice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • very disheartening news Duck Duck Go. #MoneyGrab

    I suspect that if they had included wipers on the solar panel they would inevitably scratch the top layer of the panels over time thus degrading performance. It would be an interesting trade off though if it could be done. An alternative could be a small compressor to charge/re-charge a small tank so it could use compressed atmospheric gas to blow dust off. Either way they would be adding complexity and weight to the overall payload which is an already tight allotment.

    Spice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Eric7615 wrote:

    My question is why didn't they put like wiper blades on the solar panels so that the Rover could last longer??

    Budget cuts?

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Milerky2 wrote:

    I am less concerned with the tracking aspect of DuckDuckGo, and more concerned with the censorship. DuckDuckGo allows me to find retailers of things Google feels they should gatekeep.

    For anyone interested, they started doing that at least since March. I switched over to Brave browser and haven't looked back.

    https://mashable.com/article/duckduckgo-search-engine-russian-disinformation

    Spice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • jessevas wrote:

    Eric7615 wrote:

    My question is why didn't they put like wiper blades on the solar panels so that the Rover could last longer??

    Budget cuts?

    This dust is EXTREMELY fine.  So fine in fact, the arm was depositing sand, onto the arrays, in such a way to PUSH the dust physically. 

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Running out of power?  Deploy emergency dusting protocol!

    It does seem like some sort of self cleaning process should be possible. 

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • See, no reason to use a google search engine wannabe.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • If we want the privacy we need to pay the cost with money but few want to.  A Free browser is monetarily free not privacy free.

    Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Nyradel wrote:

    If we want the privacy we need to pay the cost with money but few want to.  A Free browser is monetarily free not privacy free.

    Well, no-one actually tryed to create a privacy paid service.

    Let's be honest, google, as a search engine, was running on stupid low machines back then and one could actually do it again. Most of the machine power today is not needed to display requests, but to run whole google advertisement operation in the back.

    Make it old school, make it efficient, make it do only search and nothing more... make it as it used to be, where you had to know what you needed to write as as string and you actually got what you needed, not that personalised bullshit that creates a personal bubble and makes people dependent.

    I'll gladly pay few bucks for totally private service and I'm absolutelly sure it could not cost more than 5€ monthly of 50€ yearly when we talk on massive scale and just for search.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Ken Carter wrote:

    Meanwhile DDG is running this commercial:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWpPyYlZXNI

    Now someone needs to do an edit where they put the DDG logo over the actor for Google's face.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Yeah, I switched to Brave a while back. DuckDuckGo​ has made it clear they aren't what they advertise and can't be trusted.

    Spice (8) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Nyradel wrote:

    If we want the privacy we need to pay the cost with money but few want to.  A Free browser is monetarily free not privacy free.

    I would agree with you but sadly, I cannot. Here is why:


    Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I have the names of a few people I would like to volunteer for the mission to the sun.

    Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • DuckDuckGo browser allows Microsoft trackers due to search agreement

    I'm not really surprised.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Duck Duck Go: Was it a surprise that they did not block anything associated with Micro$oft?
    Solar Sail:

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • JPanz wrote:

    MarkPayton wrote:e inwards? How long will it take to get these satellites into position?

    Similar to tacking allowing a sailboat to sail into the wind?

    Tacking requires the resistance of the keel in the water. I guess a space craft would have to use a thruster of some sort.

    Tacking also depends on the Bernoulli principle (the pressure difference between high and low speed wind).

    I don't know if any similar effect occurs from one side to the other of a solar sail. Certainly all the photons should be travelling at the same speed.

    Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Milerky2 wrote:

    I also feel that Wall-e made it difficult to not personify landers and robots.  Especially when Nasa sends tweets out as if they are the landers... and their last tweets are... "It's getting dark" 

    I just cannot handle that...

    Glad I'm not the only one! 
    Wondering if hypothetically, if in the future the panels could be cleaned, could it start running again?

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

    While I want to make a Point Break movie reference, it's not only interesting, should all go according to plan, the concept could result in an actual space-based mission.

    I watched this again only a couple of weeks ago, but I honestly can't think of what you mean... 

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • It's not really a surprise that DDG is hypocritical. Pretty sure there was some research done before on them that also proved they aren't as righteous as they claim.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Random Parts wrote:

    intentionally allows Microsoft trackers third-party sites due to a search syndication agreement with Redmond. - also known as pay us enough money and you'll get it.

    Also know as everything has a price. 

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Poor rover. If they cable tied a Swiffer duster to the arm, just below the camera, they could swipe dust off the panels while taking selfies. Just sayin. 

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • JPanz  the solar sails from what I can tell do not work like sails on a sailboat (yes I am a sailor).  They capture the energy from photons, and ride the wave. Its not even like they are translating energy from the photons, as much as they are capturing the kinetic energy.

    Ironically there is much known of regular sailing technology, but still much is unknown. For years it was theorized that the Bernoulli principle allowed lift and and worked against the foil (underwater keel/centerboard) to work to provide forward motion, but the thoughts are actually more toward pressure differentials, and indeed it helps explain better why masthead sloops don't do as well as fractional rigged boats, as the fractionals use larger mainsails, but the headsail provides a slot compression against the mainsail for making the propulsion more efficient.

    Either way the principle of solar sails, works more like the ancient square riggers than modern sails/keels.

    • local_offer Tagged Items
    • JPanzJPanz
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • GuruGabe1 wrote:

    Maybe NASA's next rover will carry a little broom to periodically clean the dust off of itself.

    And it is already how much time that this rover is operating longer than expected?

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down

Read these next...

  • Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

    Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

    Spiceworks Originals

    Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

  • Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

    Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

    Spiceworks

    June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

  • Burning the employment bridge

    Burning the employment bridge

    IT & Tech Careers

    Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

  • Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

    Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

    Windows

    Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

  • Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

    Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

    Spiceworks Originals

    Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...