Home
Join

31 Replies

• Yay - First :) 

1977 Original "Star Wars" movie - and the rest is history (literally 'cos it was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away)

Squeeze gig now - you've been seeing some great bands lately :) 

Spice (10) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Kenny8416 wrote:

Yay - First :) 

1977 Original "Star Wars" movie - and the rest is history (literally 'cos it was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away)

Squeeze gig now - you've been seeing some great bands lately :) 

All my gigs from the last two years have been rearranged into the last few months...

Since November I have seen: 

• New Order
    • Tim Minchen
    • Illegal Eagles (tribute band)
    • Think Floyd (tribute band)
    • Genesis
    • Bare Naked Ladies
    • Stranger Doors (tribute band)
    • Whitesnake, Foreigner & Europe
    • Let's Rock the Moor (Ottawan, Urban Cookie Collective, Sonique, Tenpole Tudor. Gibson Brothers, Sydney Youngblood, Scritti Politti, Jason Donovan, Johny Hates Jazz, The Selecter, Heatwave, Pig Bag, Go West, Nick Heyward (Haircut 100), Tom Bailey (Thompson Twins), Wet Wet Wet & Squeeze)

And coming up in the next couple of months, I have 

• A-Ha
    • Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds
    • Greenday, Fallout Boy & Weezer
    • The Eagles, Robert Plant, Alison Krauss, Little Big Town
    • Counting Crows
    • The Bar Steward Sons of Val Doonican

And it's suddenly occurred to me why I'm always broke!!

Spice (12) flagReport
  • Now I would have loved to see Genesis too :( 

We're kind of like that too with theatre and gigs all happening at once, but much smaller list than yours

Only recent ones were (not including theatre)

- James Morrison last month

- Bryan Adams last Sunday

- Paloma Faith, next week

A lot of things (particularly theatre shows) still seem to be getting cancelled last minute :( 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • This is certainly a great day for sci-fi films, and they're perfect for Geek Pride Day, and The Glorious Twenty-Fifth of May

Happy Geek Pride Day!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Inspirobot knows how I feel about work lately. 😞

Spice (6) flagReport
  • I am hungry now. 
  • CooperJS1 wrote:

Inspirobot knows how I feel about work lately. 😞

I feel ya.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • The Glorious Twenty-Fifth of May -  Long Live the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road!

Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!

PS - You are missed Sir Terry

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Robert5205 wrote:

The novel Glide Path is Clarke's non-fiction story about his work and the development of RADAR in WWII. If you have even an inkling of interest in how things work and why, you will enjoy that book.

Spoiler: No one in the book Google's "How do I determine the range and direction of approaching aircraft using radio waves?"

I wonder how people got answers to complex questions before Google?

Spice (3) flagReport
  • All I can say is that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.
    ― Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, RA

Oh Sir Winston, how much I agree with you

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Every once in a while, Inspirabot comes up with something that's actually decent. Keep up the good work, buddy

• Holidays on this day
    Geek Pride Day
    National Brown-Bag-It Day
    National Missing Children's Day
    National Senior Health & Fitness Day - (Last Wednesday in May)
    National Wine Day
    Towel Day
    World Orienteering Day - (Fourth Wednesday in May)
    World Otter Day – (Last Wednesday in May)

Otter start Orienteering my way to the Wine vineyard, grab a bottle and a Towel, and Brown-Bag-It at the park to celebrate Geek Pride Day. While I'm there, I'll keep an eye out for Missing Children and maybe chase some Seniors to help them keep fit.

Spice (3) flagReport

• Spice (7) flagReport
  • Love me some Arthur C Clarke, he was my first foray into "Hard Science Fiction" when I was a kid, from there I discovered Kim Stanley Robinson, Ben Bova, Larry Niven, Greg Bear, Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, and Jerry Pournelle... to name a few.

Wow... I now realize that I have read an inordinate amount of books over the years...

I tragically forgot my towel today... I feel... unprepared.

I haven't been able to see any shows since COVID... Last concert I saw was Weezer, with the Pixies as the opening act. Right before COVID hit, I had tickets to see Bryan Adams and Bon Jovi together in St. Louis. Even had the fancy hotel... Then it got cancelled... Now I am just waiting with bated breath for Caedmon's Call to release tickets for their show at the Ryman Auditorium next year.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • There is a hilarious video by Master Ken but won't share here. Don't want to be soapboxed. Just Youtube Master Ken Towel. 

• As its Towel Day hear is a link to the (PGB) Pan galactic gargle Blaster from the local Nightclub I used to frequent "Spiders" and how to make one for yourself

as per wiki page " Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster | Hitchhikers | Fandom "

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Arthur Charles Clarke: I love The Foundation series
    1977 Original "Star Wars" movie (Episode IV – A New Hope), directed by George Lucas and starring Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, first released. I saw that on 6/25/77
    1944 Frank Oz - American muppeteer (Yoda, Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy): Waka Waka Waka 

Towel Day: “Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
    QotD: Quite a drinker...
    CotD: DOH!
    Inspirobot: Damn straight!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Inspirobot you are right!

I forgot to bring a towel today and I definitely forgot to brown bag it today.

I feel the brown bag it today would have made Inspirobot even more true.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Love today's write-up about ACC.  Great story.

Also, Sikorsky was the first person to put the plane engine in front of the pilot, saving many lives and advancing the field of Test Pilot.  And, he developed the multi-engine plane and the flying boat.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Inspirobot: Correct, same with Motivation, external motivation is fleeting true motivation must come from within.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Great day in history for movies. 

That recipe sounds good up until the feta. You can't have a Mexican dish with a greek cheese....Queso Fresca is a better choice here. Or even Monterrey jack if you can't get that. Feta, in my humble Mexican opinion, would NOT be a good choice. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Yes I know where my Towel is.  Inspirobot with another moment of Clarity.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • CooperJS1 wrote:

Inspirobot knows how I feel about work lately. 😞

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Just a reminder that the Edict of Worms was not about burrowing invertebrates.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • In memory of Desmond Dekker here's one of his last appearances

https://youtu.be/5qeWqYNrS8U

Also re: towel day, I keep  towels in my cars for multiple eventualities. The car we use the most goes one better, in the trunk we also have sunscreen, bug repellent, and Swix F4 Glide Wax. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Depress-o-bot today! Mr. Grump Gills!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Return of the Jedi day! Yay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9tgLnI0fFc

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 45 years of Star Wars!  I still remember seeing this first run in the theaters.

Inspirobot is on point!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Inspirobot is right. Only you can make a decision to care or not to car. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Truer words have never been spoken, Inspirobot.

• EndGame wrote:

That's my favorite towel.  :)

Read these next...

• Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

• Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Spiceworks

June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

• Burning the employment bridge

Burning the employment bridge

IT & Tech Careers

Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

• Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Windows

Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

• Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...