Home
Join

13 Replies

  • We use a USB-type dock device in situations like this. The user connects the USB-c cable and gets access to any screen/projector/tv in the room via the one connection. Something to note is not to skimp on the dock as the cheaper ones do not seem to be reliable. 

    We also have Apple TV connected on a secondary input to the TV or projector so APple devices can use the wireless mirror through that. 

    Spice (8) flagReport
    4 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • You mentioned there isn't anything in the center of the table NOW but couldn't you just run some cabling and resolve that? They make some very professional and discrete cable management items nowadays so you won't just have long cables all over the place and if you'd like to just consolidate everything to "one" source.. you could (as the other poster mentioned) just implement some sort of dock in the center of the table and have the HDMI as the sole output to the TV. 

    Otherwise, you could just pony up some cash to get a little box with multiple input ports to put in the middle of the table and then keep a few cables handy.

    Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • dimforest wrote:

    You mentioned there isn't anything in the center of the table NOW but couldn't you just run some cabling and resolve that? They make some very professional and discrete cable management items nowadays so you won't just have long cables all over the place and if you'd like to just consolidate everything to "one" source.. you could (as the other poster mentioned) just implement some sort of dock in the center of the table and have the HDMI as the sole output to the TV. 

    Otherwise, you could just pony up some cash to get a little box with multiple input ports to put in the middle of the table and then keep a few cables handy.

    With a single HDMI input... and use a Kramer HDMI switch?  just change the input on the Kramer to display other devices/needs?

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I would simply use a HDMI KVM Switch. I bought a 4 port device here from TESmart. It supports 4K@60hz  and it has a big friendly button with a label "Select".
    You can change the channels with that button or a little remote control, which has enough space for a label.
    So TV --> HDMI --> KVM
    But as times change and that solution is a bit "oldschool", you may have a look at the solution DrStr4ng3​ mentioned.
    Or - if it is just for the laptops, you may use a  Wireless HDMI Transmitter. That would avoid cables from table to the TV.

    Our meeting rooms are equipped with a solution from Barco (https://www.barco.com/) which is called ClickShare.
    Just insert a USB dongle to your notebook and you are good to go. Wireless.
    But that would not solve your switching problem.

    Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Connect everything to the TV, and use the 4th HDMI port on the TV for a Chromecast. No cable switching needed-- everything controlled via the TV's remote.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Milerky2 wrote:

    dimforest wrote:

    You mentioned there isn't anything in the center of the table NOW but couldn't you just run some cabling and resolve that? They make some very professional and discrete cable management items nowadays so you won't just have long cables all over the place and if you'd like to just consolidate everything to "one" source.. you could (as the other poster mentioned) just implement some sort of dock in the center of the table and have the HDMI as the sole output to the TV. 

    Otherwise, you could just pony up some cash to get a little box with multiple input ports to put in the middle of the table and then keep a few cables handy.

    With a single HDMI input... and use a Kramer HDMI switch?  just change the input on the Kramer to display other devices/needs?

    Just want to second the Kramer suggestion and add some models that may help.

    I have medium room that has a dedicated computer but may also have users with their own VGA or HDMI laptop. The Kramer DIP-31 lets you input two HDMI and one VGA and automatically switch between them and I use that as the core of the system in that room.

    In our largest meeting room, I actually have three WP-20 wall plates that can accept either VGA or HDMI, a DVD/VHS player (which hasn't been used in 5 years), and a computer for virtual calls. The VS-611DT also can automatically switch between these, and I have them set so that they are prioritize the wall plates over the rest. You can also set the automatic switching to use a last-plugged priority, so whichever device was most recently connected gets shown. 

    I love these Kramer units, as I've almost never had any issues with them and it stopped me from having to come in on a Saturday morning at 7 AM just to plug in a sodding HDMI cable for someone. 

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • You could get like a Crestron or similar tablet app that controls a switcher, but has big touch screen buttons for the users to choose their input.

    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • A ScreenBeam or other wireless HDMI Transmitter/Receiver pair may help. I have seen configurations that several transmitters will send to a single Receiver which will be plugged into the TV. A switch is used to select which Transmitter the Receiver is listening to. 

    Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • I would vote for a Screenbeam Device.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Microsoft Wireless Adapter - let anyone throw their screen from their own device straight to the TV without needing any cables ;) 

    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • We've gone through similar situations in our boardrooms/large meeting rooms where we had a PC, Video conference (lifesize) and Kramer VIa in a cupboard and a HDMI cable on a desk. Users were constantly confused by which input they needed for whatever system they were using (even with printed instructions) so we used a Kramer/Startech input switcher. That worked well for a while until we replaced all the systems in those rooms with a Yealink MVC500 Teams room system which has a HDMI cable connected to the touchscreen controller on the table and there's a USB wireless presentation dongle that comes with the kit. This solution is so much easier and works well when users need to present from their laptops.

    Yealink also offer kits for Zoom calls. PS. I don't work for them! haha

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Just one suggestion. Regardless of wether you get a splitter or other device, label the cables. I label maker is every IT person best friend. Label each end with the location where it plugs.

    Example: To TV ➡️
    This way they know where to plug it.
    Also, in the case that someone plugs everything, the next person can plug everything quickly without guess work.

    Now teaching users to read that is a different issue, but a label maker helps a lot.

    You can label cables, devices, wall ports, IP phones, patch panels, the sky is the limit.

    I hope this helps, even if it is in a small way.

    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Andres719 wrote:

    Just one suggestion. Regardless of wether you get a splitter or other device, label the cables. I label maker is every IT person best friend. Label each end with the location where it plugs.

    Example: To TV ➡️
    This way they know where to plug it.
    Also, in the case that someone plugs everything, the next person can plug everything quickly without guess work.

    Now teaching users to read that is a different issue, but a label maker helps a lot.

    You can label cables, devices, wall ports, IP phones, patch panels, the sky is the limit.

    I hope this helps, even if it is in a small way.



    I agree with Andres719​:  Label all cables-- BOTH ENDS:

    TV HDMI1----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------MFF Desktop

    TV HDMI2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Cisco SX10

    Cisco SX10--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Presentation laptop

    Or something like that--low tech, cheap, reduces confusion, and if things get unplugged, it is easy to know where things connect, and helps to trace cables! Note: I actually put the "TV HDMI#"  label at the MFF Desktop end, and the "MFF Desktop" label at the TV end, so you know what is at the other end of the cable without tracing it by hand.
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down

Read these next...

  • Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

    Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

    Spiceworks Originals

    Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

  • Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

    Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

    Spiceworks

    June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

  • Burning the employment bridge

    Burning the employment bridge

    IT & Tech Careers

    Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

  • Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

    Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

    Windows

    Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

  • Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

    Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

    Spiceworks Originals

    Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...