Home
Join

44 Replies

• VMware has shifted a couple of times.  

Did your support change when Dell bought it?  How about when Dell spun it off as a separate division?    

Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • If Broadcom does to VMWare what it did to Symantec, everyone that runs VMWare is trouble.....

Spice (29) flagReport
    3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • What did they do to Symantec?  

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Yes I've noticed issues with VMWare during all of it's Dell moves....the support has gotten terrible, the techs don't seem to know their product any more, and if they can't "reproduce" the issue in their lab, we have been told, that we can't be helped.  Last time it happened, we ended up having to rebuild the while vSphere backend....due to support not knowing how to help.

Spice (8) flagReport
    2 of 3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • When Broadcom took over Symantec, for a good 6 months, to a year, we could not purchase any additional licensing, nor could our VAR's or Broadcom themselves give any explanation other than, they are working on teh issue.  4 months after moving to a different AV company, Broadcom finally processes an expired PO, for additional licenses. Needless to say it was a cluster they didn't need to cause...

Spice (18) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • dang42 wrote:

Yes I've noticed issues with VMWare during all of it's Dell moves....the support has gotten terrible, the techs don't seem to know their product any more, and if they can't "reproduce" the issue in their lab, we have been told, that we can't be helped.  Last time it happened, we ended up having to rebuild the while vSphere backend....due to support not knowing how to help.

I cannot argue that.  Support used to be better pre-Dell.  I moved on from Vmware and Hyper-V.  We are entirely cloud based, although at home I have been playing with Proxmox again.  It was not ready for prime time 7-8 years ago, but I am truly liking what I see now

Back to the original question... it will depend on Broadcom's vision.  However, it will take some time to see change, as they will be trying to turn a battleship.  Will it get better?  Will it get worse?  Flip a coin

Spice (7) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • After a little research it appears Broadcom's playbook after an acquisition is massive reductions in personnel.    This can't be good for Vmware employees or customers.  Unlike the Symantec purchase where there is plenty of competition to move to, Vmware is just about without competition.  HyperV is at a low level, but from the little I know it doesn't appear to be serious.  

Spice (10) flagReport
    4 of 5 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Proxmox has definitely jumped up in my opinion.  I have some old servers that I'm going to attempt to make a cluster (small) out of to see how it performs.  I'm running it at home and it does nicely.

Spice (2) flagReport
    3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Always makes me nervous when a takeover like this happens.  Finger's (and toes crossed) they leave well enough alone

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I was going to say the same thing regarding Symantec. By the time they had figured out what they were doing we had made the jump to another vendor, also just as SEP was finally starting to look into NextGen type Anti-Virus, by then it was just too little, too late.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I can see why most of the quotes I have read in the financial and other reporting are from VARs.

You would be hard pressed to find a software tech company that has more paying customers overall than VMware, aside from Microsoft.

The breadth of the product portfolio is stunning. Most smaller companies just have ESXi and vCenter, but large companies have the whole software defined data center and massive companies are deeply embedded with VMware.

This seems more like a financial play than any tech synergy, and that's not good for the industry IMHO.

Spice (11) flagReport
  • I have to admit that I was done with Symantec long before 2019, so you all saying they got worse both makes me shudder and confused at how their support went from useless to worse than useless.

Apparently one of Broadcom's things is to sell things that only require their hardware? If so, VMware's good to look great for them as there's already a restrictive set of hardware versus Hyper-V.  But even if they don't do that, I can't see how that helps the overall IT picture at all.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • So how does one start a lawsuit/ investigation with the Federal Trade Commission to prevent this? Asking for a friend.

Spice (8) flagReport
  • I wouldn't hold my breath. The symantec buyout was a nightmare for the MSP I worked for at the time. Hopefully it is different though

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Dennis7744 wrote:

HyperV is at a low level, but from the little I know it doesn't appear to be serious.  

It works for us.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • This is something I am starting to dislike with this industry a lot of the big companies just buy out the ones that they think they can then somehow embed into something they already have then forget the original or just get rid of something threatening them. Or like Cisco they had Cisco prime we used that did decent and price was ok, now they want to get rid of that and move to DNAC which is way more than we need and way too $$ so means probably do without or look elsewhere.

We used to use Aerohive WAPs then extreme networks acquired them and said everything you have is junk and incompatible we said forget you and dropped them and went to Miraki. Our AV company was acquired by an Blackberry and after that we started having all kinds of issues things lot logging, new version in test works production it fails an no way to fix it.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • dang42 wrote:

When Broadcom took over Symantec, for a good 6 months, to a year, we could not purchase any additional licensing, nor could our VAR's or Broadcom themselves give any explanation other than, they are working on teh issue.  4 months after moving to a different AV company, Broadcom finally processes an expired PO, for additional licenses. Needless to say it was a cluster they didn't need to cause...

Our experience was very similar.  We moved on to Webroot before our SEP license expired and have not looked back.  Irritatingly, after our SEP license would have expired, a Broadcom salesperson called to talk about renewal.  It was not a long conversation.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I dunno what it means.  I'm just glad we are shifting to Nutanix!

I know Backup Exec changed when the parent company changed hands 4 times.

Spice (2) flagReport
    0 of 1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Acquisitions seem to me to be what a company does to take investor's eyes off the ball.    Instead of growing what they have, the company buys another.  Investors are happy as the buyer has expanded it's reach and great profits are in the making.  Then comes the reality.  Once purchased it is highly unlikely the acquisition will remain intact. There is the debt from the acquisition to pay off and that has to come from somewhere.  So then it is cutting duplicate positions and improving efficiency.  The investors are happy because they see more profits coming.  The customer isn't because the reduction in those duplicate positions affects them negatively.    So sales tank.  Investors aren't happy because the promised returns don't happen.  So now the buyer announces a plan to bring back profits by spinning off the acquisition so the buyer can "concentrate on their core competencies" .  Investors are happy because they see increased profits coming.  Customers aren't happy because the acquisition - now a spinoff - has been gutted and support/sales sucks in comparison to what it was before the acquisition.

This is essentially what Dell did.  Broadcom seems to be different.  In the cases of CA and Symantec they went the path of cutting staff (extensively) but pushed on to fully absorb them.  That's not to say that was any better from a customer point of view.  I don't have market position data for Symantec before/after but based on what I've read here and elsewhere they alienated a lot of customers and that can't be good for market share.  

It doesn't bode well for Vmware if the acquisition goes through, or even if it doesn't.  Each acquisition process does a lot of damage and accumulates additional debt which ensures the next acquisition will do more damage.  Vmware is obviously up for sale and regardless if Broadcom is successful or not the forces are still there for it to be sold.  As a customer we can hope for a Daddy Warbucks purchase that leaves it intact but this is the real world of investors and the never ending drive for ever bigger returns.  Once a company goes on the block it seems it ends up in a spiral that isn't good as far as customers are concerned.

If Broadcom is successful we can hope they learned from CA & Symantec and not repeat the mistakes they made there.  

Spice (3) flagReport
  • dang42 wrote:

When Broadcom took over Symantec, for a good 6 months, to a year, we could not purchase any additional licensing, nor could our VAR's or Broadcom themselves give any explanation other than, they are working on teh issue.  4 months after moving to a different AV company, Broadcom finally processes an expired PO, for additional licenses. Needless to say it was a cluster they didn't need to cause...

We had the same issue after the purchase.  We couldn't add license and tech support, at least for the Endpoint product, seemed to be almost non existent.  We also changes in support after Dell acquired VMWare and that hasn't seemed to change since they were spun off.  To make matters worse on our side we have VXRail.  When they were under Dell support was more fluid when we had issues.  Now when we call in we get finger pointing between Dell and VMWare support.

• ich.ni.san wrote:

dang42 wrote:

Our experience was very similar.  We moved on to Webroot before our SEP license expired and have not looked back.  Irritatingly, after our SEP license would have expired, a Broadcom salesperson called to talk about renewal.  It was not a long conversation.

I echo this sentiment regarding Symantec products and the "journey" to and from Broadcom subsidiaries.

When I started at my current org, we were using Altiris to manage endpoints. It was pretty terrible and management was clear that they wanted it replaced and I was tasked to lead the effort on replacement. My initial recommendation was for SCCM and eventually co-management with Intune. Management wasn't feeling Intune and in fact it seemed they had pretty much made their decision for me: they authorized management of iOS devices with VMware Workspace ONE and eventually my efforts to get us onto SCCM for Windows endpoints was dead. Fast forward about 18 months later and it's been a pain to move from Altiris to Workspace ONE due to the need to rebuilt all components rather than migrate. Even worse than that, our account experienced a wide number of issues including even simple enrollment into WS1. VMware Support were baffled and several layers of support levels couldn't help us solve the issues. Some months later, a lot of people including myself left the project. Things were going that poorly.

So when I see this news that the parent company that bought the product we're trying to abandon is now potentially buying the product we're trying to move to... well, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I'll probably do a little of both. I feel for the current project team.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Everything used to be better pre-dell, even dell.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Funny...I just ordered a Dell server from xByte to run as a Hyper-V host, and specified that I wanted NO Broadcom NIC's.  I guess that kept me completely out of this thing.  LOL

Spice (1) flagReport
  • This is something I have noticed over the years, but it is only anecdotal and by no mean a scientifically based theory:

When the employee's email addresses in the acquired company are quickly converted to the parent company's domain, things seem to not go well afterwards.

If the acquired company keeps their email address and most of their original identity, things seem to go a lot better.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Funny reading about Dell, I thought HP was the only IT company to spend a lot of time and money buying other companies and destroying them. Palm comes to mind as one of the more prominent ones.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I'm trying to think of an acquisition that was good for both companies involved and I'm drawing a blank.  

• I'm just going to chime in with we'd been a MessageLabs customer back when IBM still owned it, change over to Symantec was pretty much seemless, factoring in that we never really needed them for support.  Then broadcom acquired it.  Couldn't renew licensing, had no communications about changes or anything, and with licensing about to expire we jumped as did the one of the suppliers that we used.  Pretty much best decision ever.
    Unfortunately I've only just started at a new job which is mostly VMware.  

Worst.News.Ever.

• Hopefully the will listen to their customers and ensure that their customer support improves - somehow I doubt it.

• We used Vsphere Essentials for several years and recently bought a license for Enterprise plus.  Support for the change was pretty much non existent.  One would think a migration would be simple.  It wasn't.  We're a SMB with a 3 host farm.  Essentially to migrate I had to manually move all my VMs off one of the hosts, update that host, then move VMs back.  For all 3 hosts.  

Broadcom has demonstrated they only want to do business with large enterprises.  I see darkness ahead.  :(

When I did our upgrade I also bought Horizon so I could move my remaining PCs to VDI.    I haven't implemented yet and am now questioning if I should move forward with Horizon.

• I bet Microsoft is pretty gleeful about this; after Broadcom kills off the general use case for VMware, I see Hyper-V price hikes ahead.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Brian Madden's insiders take on the VMWare acquisition pretty much says it all - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/brian-maddens-brutal-unfiltered-thoughts-broadcom-vmware-brian-madden...

Spice (2) flagReport
    3 of 4 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • I was sort of hoping someone would point out how my analysis was wrong.  Apparently I wasn't, at least my analysis agrees with Brian's.  

Spice (1) flagReport
  • It's started today....I've already got clients now concerned of what will happen to VMware after being burned by broadcom and their Symantec acquisition.  Clients looks for reassurance the same thing won't happen.  How can I give them that when I'm worried already myself?
    Add to that broadcom are already pushing a fast migration to a subscription based model, no wonder clients are nerveous already.

• Bloomberg story on the acquisition:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/broadcom-secretly-eyed-vmware-61-143157556.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGlua2VkaW4uY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAIoz_cGJCENU3lGP0SjaoHhhoazovZ5Nfg_DNbG8edXobYKItQULlgxo-GvChEsqd3ShhJu3mk_cXC1DSCon-3BJDHVHpuiJMe36QfdkFof0uiHin9kI2tZ2IOZjn27pa6dvocNkpt4kpWqGUom4RlekZsERw_aME38Jcz0neYYd

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Luis C. wrote:

This is something I have noticed over the years, but it is only anecdotal and by no mean a scientifically based theory:

When the employee's email addresses in the acquired company are quickly converted to the parent company's domain, things seem to not go well afterwards.

If the acquired company keeps their email address and most of their original identity, things seem to go a lot better.

VMware is keeping their identity and not rebranding. The name carries too much weight to discard IMO, plus no one associates Broadcom with anything but hardware. From everything I've read, Broadcom will be rolling their Enterprise software division into VMware, with VMware being the new flagship. So, I wouldn't expect people with a VMware email address to see any change, but I guess only time will tell. 

What's weird to me is that they'll now have two (formerly competing) AV solutions: Symantec & Carbon Black. I assume they'll merge those into one anti-virus. 

Perhaps vSphere, vRealize, and other VMw appliances will ship with publicly signed/trusted certs now (via Symantec or CA). That'd be one positive outcome in the slew of negative predictions I've been reading. As anyone that's dealt with certs in VMware products knows, it can be quite painful. 

• Nerf_Herder wrote:

I dunno what it means.  I'm just glad we are shifting to Nutanix!

I know Backup Exec changed when the parent company changed hands 4 times.

Excited to have you! 

• CrimsonKidA wrote:

Perhaps vSphere, vRealize, and other VMw appliances will ship with publicly signed/trusted certs now (via Symantec or CA). That'd be one positive outcome in the slew of negative predictions I've been reading. As anyone that's dealt with certs in VMware products knows, it can be quite painful. 

Can you provide a little more clarity on this? 

Do you think VMware should ship their products (Example vCenter Server) with a signed certificate for your domain, or have a SAM with your domain or a wildcard for TLDs or something?  

Cert management I think is in the UI - Menu > Administration > Certificates > Certificate Management.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2097936 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Nerf_Herder wrote:  I'm just glad we are shifting to Nutanix!

Didn't their stock just collapse last week? Is their stock worth 1/3 of what it was back in Sept?  If you are scared of M&A, a company that's trading with only a 3.5 Billion market cap is a minnow in a sea of barracudas. (especially given they have outstanding convertible debt that's way under the share price and subject to anti-delusion clauses).

Not really mean to say people shouldn't do business with small enterprises in software (the market needs diversity in platforms and stacks, it's healthy to have competition), but your thesis here doesn't quite align with the market.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • StorageNinja wrote:

CrimsonKidA wrote:

Can you provide a little more clarity on this? 

Do you think VMware should ship their products (Example vCenter Server) with a signed certificate for your domain, or have a SAM with your domain or a wildcard for TLDs or something?  

Cert management I think is in the UI - Menu > Administration > Certificates > Certificate Management.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2097936 

Hey StorageNinja​, not so much my complaint per se, moreso just what I've seen others report. To be fair you're right, dealing with certs is much easier in now, yes. Perhaps that's more of a "legacy" complaint...

What I was thinking is just having the out-of-box cert signed by a "trusted," public CA (instead of VMware) so you wouldn't have to manually trust it on your endpoint. However, pretty much only labs or Dev/Test environments leave the OOB cert in place anyhow, so yeah, it's not such a big deal at all. 

• What web browser is going to “trust” a public ally signed cert on a web server you access by IP or internal DNS it doesn’t match?!?

If that worked, I could sign a fake banking website…

• Oh, good point. You're right, StorageNinja​. Just having a public CA isn't enough for the cert to be trusted by a browser OOTB. I don't know a lot about certs, but I think public DNS has to look up the address as well (private/internal DNS server isn't enough...?). So never mind I guess! lol 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • If anyone may be interested in looking into alternatives in the future based on the acquisition news, I figured I'd pass along a survey we did with Spiceworks with current and previous VMware users and this is what we learned: https://www.scalecomputing.com/landing-pages/vmware-alternative
    You can also check out reviews from our very own Spiceworks users about their experience with Scale Computing.
    By heading to our site you can connect with an expert to learn more, sign up for a free trial, or request a demo.
    Please send me a message if you’d like more info!

Spice (2) flagReport
    0 of 1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • jcLAMBERT wrote:

Back to the original question... it will depend on Broadcom's vision.  However, it will take some time to see change, as they will be trying to turn a battleship.  Will it get better?  Will it get worse?  Flip a coin

True. The only thing is that the two sides of the coin are if things will remain the same or worsen. There is no get better option.

• Supaplex wrote:

jcLAMBERT wrote:

True. The only thing is that the two sides of the coin are if things will remain the same or worsen. There is no get better option.

Spice (2) flagReport

Read these next...

• Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

• Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Spiceworks

June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

• Burning the employment bridge

Burning the employment bridge

IT & Tech Careers

Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

• Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Windows

Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

• Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...