Home
Join

50 Replies

• I am the only one who feels that boing has basically made themselves irrelevant?  I hope they succeed, but they are so far behind and the starliner is so out of date in terms of tech used that even if they succeed it almost feels irrelevant.

They used to be great, but lately it seems like they are just falling apart

Spice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • So much I want to say about the Canadian ban. Actually surprised it happened.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • The Repairatrooper wrote:

So much I want to say about the Canadian ban. Actually surprised it happened.

We pretend we are a separate country but for most things we just do what the US does

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Space Lasers!

I can already hear the conspiracy theorists typing madly on their blogs.

Spice (11) flagReport
  • Kudos to Justin for the Huawei ban. At some point the PM was bound to get something right!

Spice (7) flagReport
  • dwo1064 wrote:

Space Lasers!

I can already hear the conspiracy theorists typing madly on their blogs.

It's to communicate with aliens mannnnnnn 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Two Military Satellites Just Communicated With Each Other Using Space Lasers

Here's hoping the data is encrypted...

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Yawn, more superhero stuff...

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Space laser story on a Friday - yay :) 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • " More than 200 gigabits of data were transmitted and received over a distance of about 100 kilometers, using lasers to connect satellites in orbit so they can transfer data in space."

guarantee, it was two warez pups sharing the latest version of windows 11 between them.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • A New Daredevil Series Is in the Works at Disney Plus

Awesome stuff! Since "multiverses" seem to be a hot commodity these days, I wonder if we'll see good ole Ben Affleck do a cameo 😂

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Actually can't believe nobody posted this yet...

Spice (11) flagReport
  • jrp1416​ how on Earth would you be able to intercept that laser? lol 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • As you asked (even though I'm not really an expert), I think that article about Linux distro selection for newbies was well thought out and came to a good conclusion.
    Though the follow-on article then suggested Fedora! 🙄

"Space lasers"!?!  How are these different from regular lasers??  Yes, they're in space, but a different location doesn't mean they are intrinsically different.  Surely?!

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Robert762 wrote:

Kudos to Justin for the Huawei ban. At some point the PM was bound to get something right!

I am fairly certain he had nothing to do with it, or he would have got it wrong.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • DailyLlama wrote:

Yawn, more superhero stuff...

I would disagree and say that Daredevil is more of an anti-hero. The reason I find him and others like the Dan Ketch Ghost Rider has less to do with their powers, and more to do with their personality, trials and tribulations, and stances. 

But, I can't disagree because he is also denoted as a superhero :D

• Since no one has commented on the Linux story, I will.  I am playing with Mint Linux.  I like it.  Now back to lasers and Daredevil.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • HulkSmash72 wrote:

jrp1416​ how on Earth would you be able to intercept that laser? lol 

Other satellites?

Spice (2) flagReport
  • The one thing about the Linux desktops is that it forgets that the person either using it or being given it has to want to learn how to use Linux. Although Mint or vanilla KDE are both very Windows-like in their operation, Linux still fundamentally works differently. They can both help ease the transition, but some people are stubborn and will get frustrated no matter what, regardless of how close to Windows those DE's make Linux look and feel.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Graeme.N wrote:

As you asked (even though I'm not really an expert), I think that article about Linux distro selection for newbies was well thought out and came to a good conclusion.
    Though the follow-on article then suggested Fedora! 🙄

"Space lasers"!?!  How are these different from regular lasers??  Yes, they're in space, but a different location doesn't mean they are intrinsically different.  Surely?!

Hey!  I LIKE Fedora!  But, who am I to judge, because I LOVE Plan9Port.

ZDNet hasn't really been a great place for Linux news in a long time.  They've become known for copy/paste of press releases for the most part.

LFS!!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • molan wrote:

We pretend we are a separate country but for most things we just do what the US does

"Mr Champagne said the decision came after 'a full review by our security agencies and consultation with our closest allies'. "

I mean, as far as allies go, does Canada have any closer than the US?  We do share 5,525 miles of border after all.  :)  No other two countries share a border (or borders, as ours is in two parts) that long.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • jrp1416 wrote:

HulkSmash72 wrote:

jrp1416​ how on Earth would you be able to intercept that laser? lol 

Other satellites?

Or, watch the space dust between them?  I'm sure there's got to be some resonance.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • " For those of you who are experts with the Linux operating system, do you agree?"

On anything...

Spice (8) flagReport
  • Test4Echo wrote:

The one thing about the Linux desktops is that it forgets that the person either using it or being given it has to want to learn how to use Linux. Although Mint or vanilla KDE are both very Windows-like in their operation, Linux still fundamentally works differently. They can both help ease the transition, but some people are stubborn and will get frustrated no matter what, regardless of how close to Windows those DE's make Linux look and feel.

Linux has this problem in its documentation too.  The people writing it always seem to forget that the people reading it are reading it because they don't know how to do said operation.  This lead the writers to assume knowledge that isn't present and to leave it out of the documentation resulting in documentation that is incomplete and extremely frustrating for the person using it to follow as they have to figure out for themselves why that one line command isn't working because their is 10 steps of requirements the command depends on not mentioned anywhere.

That or maybe the writers do this intentionally so they can keep there "I am smarter than you because I know Linux" Status in tack. 

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Server OOB Update:  looks like I'm running patches to patch the patches I just ran

Linux:  I payed with Red Hat back in the 90's but I felt like a monkey with fire.  I had a Ubuntu Studio rig set up for a while and I've used Mint for low end machines.

I'm playing with Kali now because I want to dive deeper into the security field

Daredevil: I'm not afraid to admit that I liked that series and watched it a couple times.  I would not be mad if they continued the story.

Space Lasers!  that's all that needs to be said about that.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • DailyLlama wrote:

Actually can't believe nobody posted this yet...

I was thinking much the same thing.

I mean, space lasers...

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I'm pleased that XFCE is a top pick for Linux desktops. I've been using XFCE since 2008 as a lighter faster solution. I also have been angry at Gnome since Spatial Nautilus and while I was a happy KDE3 user and never took to KDE4.  

Spice (2) flagReport
  • molan wrote:

The Repairatrooper wrote:

So much I want to say about the Canadian ban. Actually surprised it happened.

You've heard of Bill C-51, right?

;)

• Robert762 wrote:

Kudos to Justin for the Huawei ban. 

Maybe it's different in Canada than it would've been in Belize, but wasn't it just the security department that made that decision on their own? Mr. Champagne seems to be the minister of science and industry and so was probably qualified to make that call independently after reviewing information with said security agencies.

• Another Linux discussion and another 1000 island dressing recipe...  

What?  No link to this story??  And you left me hangin, I was supposed to click on a ZDnet article?  Might as well post a link to Wired... geesh

https://www.theregister.com/2022/05/17/linux_desktop_feature/

I have a dual boot laptop with Mint, not sure which flavor...  and Deepin, close enough to macOS, but it has quirks, not sure if it's hardware or what...  and because of that it rarely sees the light of day, as with my Win10 lappy...

• Kelly for CrowdStrike wrote:

A New Daredevil Series Is in the Works at Disney Plus

Awesome stuff! Since "multiverses" seem to be a hot commodity these days, I wonder if we'll see good ole Ben Affleck do a cameo 😂

Let's hope not.

Spice (1) flagReport

Best news all week! Been waiting for this.

Ah so what they really mean is that a new Elektra series featuring Daredevil is in the works at Disney Plus.

lol in all seriousness it frustrates me they just aren't continuing the Netflix series. I mean, I get it - that stuff isn't family friendly or thematically, tonally, or philosophically congruent with how Disney treats Marvel (or any of their properties) nowadays - but the Netflix Punisher & Daredevil series were amongst the best Marvel stuff put out to date. The hallway fight scene in Daredevil in particular was so good and well choreographed.

I don't really have high hopes for it, though I've got a feeling how they handle Daredevil will give good insight as to how they'll handle characters like Deadpool, Punisher, Wolverine, and Magneto in the future.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

The success of the Mandrake 2 experiment is good news for the Space Development Agency's effort to build a mesh network in space. I just hope rebooting one of them is an easy process as that feels like a long commute to do it manually.

Low earth orbit? So maybe up to around 250 mile altitude? Heck, call it 500 miles. I'll bet there are plenty here who've gone that far to reboot (or service) a device.

Yay Space Lasers

Yay Huawei ban (I'm still using a free hand-me-down Huawei)

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Huawei needs to give it up and take all the spyware crap out of their system, or go broke.

Starliner is another great addition to the US based Space Taxi system...

• DailyLlama wrote:

Actually can't believe nobody posted this yet...

I was wondering where the space sharks were coming from

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Kelly for CrowdStrike wrote:

A New Daredevil Series Is in the Works at Disney Plus

Only if he dies...

They can run with D'onofio since Kingpin didn't die at the end of Hawkeye. I'm curious if they run with where the Netflix series ended up or if they start all over.

• I need to watch the original Daredevil series. It did not grab me initially. 

• "Two Military Satellites Just Communicated With Each Other Using Space Lasers"

Welll....everyone starts somewhere....

Spice (1) flagReport
  • -----"Space Lasers"-----

• Boeing's Starliner is chasing the International Space Station

• "Canada to ban China's Huawei and ZTE from its 5G networks"

Go Canada! How is it they have more sense that America? 

"Two Military Satellites Just Communicated With Each Other Using Space Lasers"

What exactly is the difference between a, "Space Laser" and an, "Earth Laser?"

Spice (2) flagReport
  • molan wrote:

I am the only one who feels that boing has basically made themselves irrelevant?  I hope they succeed, but they are so far behind and the starliner is so out of date in terms of tech used that even if they succeed it almost feels irrelevant.

They used to be great, but lately it seems like they are just falling apart

Maybe in the commercial sector, but that is peanuts compared to their presence in the military sector...

• Huawei down, now go for Tik-Tok!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Satellites with frickin' lasers: Cool.    

Starliner:  *looks over glasses*  Late to the party and on a disposable rocket?  Yawn.

That's like a new device being released touting:  "NOW WITH USB-C!"

Spice (2) flagReport
  • In Australia almost all gateway products in the home and small business (as sold by the major carrier) are Hauwei / ZTE  despite the ban

• The space lasers definitely sound like a good advancement in technology. 

• Anybody else think the Linux desktops chosen look quite a bit like Windows 11? Hmmm...

• Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

Two Military Satellites Just Communicated With Each Other Using Space Lasers
    • What's the news of that article?
    That article is strangely written in order to make believe it contains more news than it really does as it makes a strange selection of reference. In other words, the article explains that with at least one year delay, the US military is experimenting with what NASA is already using in several other missions before. See section 3 and 4 especially of that article of October 2020. NASA started to use direct communication between satellites already decades before (since 1983 if I read correctly), e.g. for the communication with ISS. This decade old relay technology of satellite to satellite communication used mainly radio frequencies. And my referenced article lists other missions where NASA started to experiment with optical laser links for such relays at least a year before the now published military mission. So as far as I understood, this military mission does not initiate the start of satellite relays using lasers. It seems instead progressing already existing laser satellite relays in bandwidth from 1.2 Gbit/s to 200 Gbit/s. Most information about NASAs efforts are probably found in reports about its LRCD mission. And I could not find the information why the military wants to use low-orbit satellites for such relays. low-orbit satellites have a shorter life-time and need much more satellites compared to NASAs other missions having its three relay satellites for coverage of the whole orbit of our planet compared to those much more than hundred for the military. So I guess that the military is preferring such low-orbit relay network due to latency considerations, not mentioned in the article referenced in this snap.

Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

According to Gizmodo:

Satellites generally don’t communicate directly with each other.

This seems to be fake news based on outdated data. NASA started to use direct satellite to satellite communication back in 1983, no longer using direct links to ground station on Earth as only option. No data has been provided how many satellites are communicating with Earth and how many of them are using relay satellites! As 1983 is already a long time ago, I would expect that many missions may use such relay satellites and that their use represents NOW a significant share of those communication links unless other constraints impose otherwise, e.g. limited capacities.

Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

According to Gizmodo:

Instead, they use radio signals to transfer data down to a ground station on Earth, which then relays this data to another satellite.

Also dominant satellite relay communication is still widely using radio signals. Due to weather on our planet, radio signals are often preferred for satellite to ground communication. Only a few ground stations can offer optical signals in addition and making sense. For more ground stations, weather conditions render optical communication less attractive to become less reliable. And for satellite relays in orbit or in space, there are not yet many equipped with optical communication option although that technology is known already for some time and successfully demonstrated. I'm not aware of any program to migrate to optical relays. I guess this has not yet been decided but may come with coming Moon and Mars missions.

Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

According to Gizmodo:

Optical terminals between satellites are considered to be faster and more secure.

This is strange reporting. Such optical links are not only considered faster. They are already known to be faster and to offer higher bandwidth.

Sean (Spiceworks) wrote:

These two Linux desktops are the simplest picks for new users
    Also a strangely written article. It does NOT include the claimed information. It includes instead a reference to another article with such information.
    • If this information is considered a main aspect, why is it not included in its summary but instead only available via a referenced further article?
  • spicehead-Doci wrote:

Anybody else think the Linux desktops chosen look quite a bit like Windows 11? Hmmm...

Oddly i've just accidentally been upgraded to win 11 (machine was added to a test group it shouldn't have been in) and was thinking Win 11 has started to look like the linux desktops I've seen

Read these next...

• Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

• Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Spiceworks

June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

• Burning the employment bridge

Burning the employment bridge

IT & Tech Careers

Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

• Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Windows

Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

• Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...