Home
Join

49 Replies

• 1st!!

Mmmmmm... Honey Chicken.  I agree - Damn Delicious!

Spice (5) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • It's also National Dog Rescue Day. 

Spice (27) flagReport
  • Inspirobot: you spoke directly to me today....

Spice (7) flagReport
  • Congrats on bee ownership! My mom's fiance has had bees for about a decade or more now. Unfortunately, a bear got to his hives a few weeks ago and absolutely gutted them clean.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I know what I am doing for halloween!  Now I just have to snag one of those bee costumes. :)

Spice (7) flagReport
  • dimforest wrote:

Congrats on bee ownership! My mom's fiance has had bees for about a decade or more now. Unfortunately, a bear got to his hives a few weeks ago and absolutely gutted them clean.

So sorry to hear about the bear.  We are not doing bear fence as there are no reports of bear in the area.  Fingers crossed.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • dimforest wrote:

Congrats on bee ownership! My mom's fiance has had bees for about a decade or more now. Unfortunately, a bear got to his hives a few weeks ago and absolutely gutted them clean.

Apparently, bears do not know about saving some things for later.  :)

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Never good when "other things of interest" mainly consist of natural disasters and accidents killing people :( 

If I started keeping bee's at least 2 people would leave home immediately - if one of them wasn't my wife I'd consider it :D 

Spice (7) flagReport
  • I am out of school and work from home so I can't do either. :(

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Bee keeping sounds like it would be fun, but my fear of bees and lack of land ownership is preventing me.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • How can you mention Jon Pertwee without mentioning what is probably his most significant acting role ... Worzel Gummidge!

QotD: True.

CotD: Heh.

Inspirobot: You might be right.

YT song: Why are they dressed as wasps while singing about bees? (Bees have black and orange stripes, black and yellow stripes is a wasp colouring.)

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Hmmm, World Bee Day, and yet today's video was cheesey.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • dimforest wrote:

Spice (8) flagReport
  • Bee beard? I thought you said Treebeard.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • dimforest wrote:

I helped with bee keeping in high school. It was fun. Especially spinning out the honey with the centrifuge. And promptly putting it on biscuits.
    Spice (5) flagReport
  • I hate bees... LOVE honey... hate bees.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • I am perfectly happy for other people to keep bees.  The last time I got stung by a bee my foot and ankle swelled up painfully to three times their normal size.  I am not anxious to repeat the event and I hear these things get worse each subsequent sting.  My son wants to keep bees but I have emphatically said no to this.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Hackettman wrote:

I hate bees... LOVE honey... hate bees.

You should read today's World Bee Day article.  I would bet you hate wasps and not bees.  Bee's rarely sting you.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • AnungUnRama wrote:

I am perfectly happy for other people to keep bees.  The last time I got stung by a bee my foot and ankle swelled up painfully to three times their normal size.  I am not anxious to repeat the event and I hear these things get worse each subsequent sting.  My son wants to keep bees but I have emphatically said no to this.

Again, You should read today's World Bee Day article. I would bet that was a  wasp and not a bee. 

And if you have ever seen Bee Czar, you know that you can act like a complete idiot around bees and still not get stung (apparently being a complete idiot works in your favor).

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I would love to celebrate Millionaire's day, but unfortunately my numbers haven't come up on the lottery yet...

Spice (4) flagReport
  • dang42 wrote:

Inspirobot: you spoke directly to me today....

Inspirobot is surprisingly on-point... yet again.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Inspirobot mustn't forget that fools are also surprisingly random to literally everyone around them, too.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • The bee still paying for wasps sins, bees don't bother me much.  This coming from someone who jumped out of his car at a red light because a wasp flew in an open window.  I am sure others at the light were amused as I had to run down my car to get control of it as it went down the road.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Inspirobot laying down the truth today.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • No, no, no. I can't agree with Inspirobot today.

If there's anything that the rise of things like QAnon has taught us (once again) is that to plenty of fools, NOTHING is random and everything has a hidden meaning and is connected.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Ooh, I am so down to celebrate Pizza Party Day!

Inspirobot is awesome today :D

My first thought for a music video option was (of course) the Blind Melon - No Rain video.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Lonny6654 wrote:

AnungUnRama wrote:

I am perfectly happy for other people to keep bees.  The last time I got stung by a bee my foot and ankle swelled up painfully to three times their normal size.  I am not anxious to repeat the event and I hear these things get worse each subsequent sting.  My son wants to keep bees but I have emphatically said no to this.

Again, You should read today's World Bee Day article. I would bet that was a  wasp and not a bee. 

And if you have ever seen Bee Czar, you know that you can act like a complete idiot around bees and still not get stung (apparently being a complete idiot works in your favor).

As someone who has been stung by bees about half a dozen times and once by a wasp, I have to emphatically disagree with you, Lonny.
    It's many years since I've been stung by either, but way back in my childhood and youth, when I got stung by a bee, I would swell up big time - whether it was my hand or my foot, it would balloon.
    The one time I was stung by a wasp, I got a small lump on my thigh at the site of the sting, just over 1cm in diameter and a couple of mm high.
    I have learned that holding bees in your hand or (accidentally) standing on them when in bare feet is NOT a good idea!
    Oh, and there is a reason beyond varying degrees of allergicness as to why I (and others) might swell up more with bees than with wasps: when a wasp stings you, they typically only inject a small amount of venom into you, whereas a bee sting can inject a far greater quantity of venom into you.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Lonny6654 wrote:

AnungUnRama wrote:

eh... I dunno.  What I pulled off the bottom of my foot sure as heck was a bee.  My wood shop, house, barn and other assorted buildings on my property are completely infested with wasps and frankly they never bother me.  I do play whack-a-wood-bee pretty frequently with scraps from the shop.  "BZZZZ"  "WHISH!"  "THWACK!"  "Bzzzz...."

Spice (1) flagReport
  • AnungUnRama wrote:

eh... I dunno.  What I pulled off the bottom of my foot sure as heck was a bee.  

I would sure as heck sting you too if you stepped on me! LOL

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Spice (8) flagReport
  • These are also Wasps...
    Spice (4) flagReport
  • SnifferSir wrote:

1st!!

Mmmmmm... Honey Chicken.  I agree - Damn Delicious!

Very delicious SnifferSir

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Somebody sure likes a mass-casualty event.

• A lot of talented people were born on this day.  Can't wait to see who is posted for mine.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Thank you for that Lonny6654.  I agree!!!
    I unwittingly went over a Yellowjacket (which is what's pictured) nest with my lawnmower.  They weren't content to sting me once or twice and scare me away. No... they chased me about 150 feet down the street, stinging me as I ran.
    All told I only received 6 - 8 stings, but that was enough to make every joint in my body ache for hours.
    A combination of gasoline and two cans of wasp spray sterilized that piece of ground.  It took a few seasons for grass to grow there again.
    Nuke 'em from orbit, it's the only way to be sure... right?
    Spice (6) flagReport
  • Having been an off and on beekeeper over the past couple of decades, I definitely will celebrate World Bee Day. I hope to catch some swarms this year as the cost of nucs or even packages has gotten too exorbitant for my wallet. That said, I am not sanguine about it. I have seen lots of pollenating wasps (cute, tiny things, not yellowjackets) and bumblebees, but I can count the honeybees I have seen on one hand. I hope that my friend's farm where I am setting the traps has more robust populations.

OZ10​, you certainly shouldn't let lack of land ownership stop you from keeping bees! I bet you could find a local gardener or farmer who would be thrilled to have them located on their property, though you might have to part with some of the harvest. I had a mild fear of bees before I got started, too, but hands on experience quickly quelled that.

EdT​ is right that there are lots of fools who buy into ridiculous theories such as the QAnon stuff. Too, there are lots of fools who because of some sort of normalcy or other bias are quick to brand anything they don't agree with as conspiracy theory, so they need never consider facts that disagree with their perspective on the world (not limited to any one political persuasion). And Inspirobot is definitely right in that there are lots of fools who think everything is just random.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Everytime there's a discussion on bees I think of this bit from Arrested Development lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_22PgqzVew

Spice (1) flagReport
  • MMMMM.... Honey.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Working from home so I guess I'll bike around the neighborhood and back to celebrate Bike to Work Day haha

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Ooooh inspirobot is spot on today!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Bees bring this favorite to mind.

No Rain

Spice (1) flagReport
  • 1989 – Gilda Radner, American actress and comedian (b. 1946): "I'm Roseanne RoseannAdanna"
    CotD: That cartoon was unbearable.
    Inspirobot: Suprising accurate

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Mike (Eaton) wrote:

It's also National Dog Rescue Day. 

Well that should make this guy who just walked in to say hi happy.  We've had him six years now.  He was the last pup of an entire litter that was dropped off at the shelter.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Our Hive...
    Spice (2) flagReport
  • I would keep bees if not for the allergic. I haven't been stung since I was 12. That was the third time. Not anxious for a fourth. Still don't freak me out though. I can co-exist quite well with the occasional pollinator. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Lonny, you say that like you don't  believe a honey bee's sting can cause such a reaction. I can attest to the fact that it can. I have stepped on a honey bee and had such sever swelling of my leg that I couldn't even put pants on. Please don't discount someone's experience. I have such a sever allergy that I may die. I love bees for what they do, but would I want a hive kept in my back yard? No, thank you.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • karenskipper wrote:

Lonny, you say that like you don't  believe a honey bee's sting can cause such a reaction. I can attest to the fact that it can. I have stepped on a honey bee and had such sever swelling of my leg that I couldn't even put pants on. Please don't discount someone's experience. I have such a sever allergy that I may die. I love bees for what they do, but would I want a hive kept in my back yard? No, thank you.

You completely missed the point.  There was no disbelief in a reaction.  Please be sure to check context and read carefully before you assume.  The internet is already way too full of people misunderstanding each other.

The point was, more often than not, it is in fact a wasp that does the stinging, yet bees get the blame.

I for one have been that victim of wasps.  As a kid, I was with a group of 4 other kids.  One of us stepped on a hornets nest and all of us paid the price.  3 kids went to the hospital (I was one of the luck ones who only got stung 30 to 40 times).  I spent many years being afraid of bees because of it.  

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Spice (4) flagReport
  • So much for air traffic control...

Spice (5) flagReport

Read these next...

• Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

• Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Spiceworks

June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

• Burning the employment bridge

Burning the employment bridge

IT & Tech Careers

Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

• Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Windows

Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

• Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...