Home
Join

6 Replies

• When the user you are trying to assist is on a system that is set to block most everything, resulting in my remote support software not launching on their system.

Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Far and away, once we connect remotely to assist the issue does not exist anymore.

Used to be physical presence was required for the IT Magic to flow.

Also: 

• In my career I rarely need to support computers off the domain(s) I am in charge of. That being said remote work is always a challenge, and frequently it is because the employee has a VPN issue.  I have found MS Teams to be indispensable for this because I can cobble a quick meeting, have them share their screen and we can usually sort out the VPN issue.

My GPOs punch holes through the software firewall for me, so I can directly remote control a computer from my domain(s) using Goverlan RC, and or Reach for minor stuff.

I'd say our biggest problem is either employee/user computer knowledge or their own home network bandwidth.

Generally though people have gotten on the bandwagon since the pandemic and upgraded their home networks and connections with decent performance, and WIFI.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • This certainly isn't a common challenge, but isn't there a story floating around the internet about a remote support phone call to a client who had a literal beehive in his computer? If I recall correctly there was a pretty bad storm and the power was out for quite a while, and the bees somehow got into the computer to escape the storm, and build a nest in there.

• During the pandemic, we issued additional equipment to allow people to work from home. This has morphed into some time to allow people to work from home a certain number of days a week/month if they want. Our biggest issue is keeping equipment updated or the rollout of new software. Simply getting people to turn on equipment at home and make sure it's connected to the internet is an immense challenge. 
    Spice (1) flagReport
  • Getting people to get their computer connected to the internet can be a challenge. 

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...