Home
Join

145 Replies

• I could talk about D&D for hours, I play 2-3 games a week (I DM one and PC in the others, all 5E), but my favourite thing ever is the yearly event in the UK called Fantasy Forest.

Hosted at Sudeley Castle it's the biggest outdoor festival for all things fantasy - I'm really hyped to be going again this July.

Last year I went as a dark wizard cosplay with my partner as a druid.

This year I'm doing a Geralt TV-style cosplay and she's going as a mushroom druid haha. 

A bunch of people from our D&D games are also coming, some will be meetings for the first time ever in person which is awesome, and they've all gone crazy about the cosplay. 

One of my friends bought proper chainmail to wear and is going as a dwarf from LotR with full gear.

This probably sounds like an ad now but I promise it's not :D highly recommend it though.

Spice (21) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Gaming is my favourite hobby, and I could talk about it for hours on end. It's the perfect hobby to keep my mind occupied, and it's been very rewarding throughout my life. I've won two PC Zone (anyone UK Spiceheads remember that legendary magazine?) competitions for map design and review writing, worked on multiple Half-Life 2 mods, and even released my own (free) game back in 2014.

I enjoy the world of technology in general, and it's one of the reasons why I work in IT today.
    Spice (15) flagReport
  • I love Sci-Fi. Fantasy not so much. 

I geek out about: Doctor Who, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Star Wars (although not the prequels or sequels!), Star Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, Red Dwarf... and probably a few others I can't think of right now.

I love technology, and how I can do almost anything with SCCM.

I love music. I listen to music all day, and when I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to podcasts about music. If you love music too, check out The Rockonteurs podcast, with Gary Kemp from Spandau Ballet, and Guy Pratt (took over the bass playing in Pink Floyd when Roger Waters left). They interview all sorts of people about their back story, how they got into music, and some of the amazing people they've met, things they've done, and how their famous albums/songs were made.

Oh my god, I forgot photography and cars!!

Spice (20) flagReport
  • I like many of the list stuff, tech, gaming (computer and board games) , sci fi, but I don't really geek out though I like to keep up to date.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • visibility_off Reply hidden by Spiceworks

DailyLlama wrote:

I love Sci-Fi. Fantasy not so much. 

I geek out about: Doctor Who, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Star Wars (although not the prequels or sequels!), Star Trek, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate, Red Dwarf... and probably a few others I can't think of right now.

I love technology, and how I can do almost anything with SCCM.

I love music. I listen to music all day, and when I'm not listening to music, I'm listening to podcasts about music. If you love music too, check out The Rockonteurs podcast, with Gary Kemp from Spandau Ballet, and Guy Pratt (took over the bass playing in Pink Floyd when Roger Waters left). They interview all sorts of people about their back story, how they got into music, and some of the amazing people they've met, things they've done, and how their famous albums/songs were made.

I don't consider people who fan of Star Wars or Star Trek as Geegs or deep sci-fi fans, but hey, you mentioned Babylon 5, which is a core sci-fi TV series. I would personally add LEXX 2000, Farscape, and Dark Matter.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Gaming has to be #1 but I also can geek out about certain authors or certain shows. Gunpla building has been my newer one that got me to go back and watch more of the anime. I have eclectic taste on things so the variety works for me in all of those. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I do HAM Radio, 3D printing, laser engraving and I like to tinker with Raspberry Pis and microcontrollers

Spice (19) flagReport
  • alekseiharlasov wrote:

I don't consider people who fan of Star Wars or Star Trek as Geeks or deep sci-fi fans, but hey, you mentioned Babylon 5, which is a core sci-fi TV series. I would personally add LEXX 2000, Farscape, and Dark Matter.

Can't be a nerd discussion without a little gatekeeping I suppose.

Spice (22) flagReport
  • Pocket protectors and graphing calculators

Spice (13) flagReport
  • Random Parts wrote:

Pocket protectors and graphing calculators

Oh dear, now we're going to have Nerd vs Geek wars too. :)

Spice (17) flagReport
  • At this point in my life, I'd say fantasy fiction along the lines of Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, The Black Company, Malazan Book of the Fallen and so on. I love board games but sadly my wife and kids don't get excited about them. Currently, I'm channeling my geek passions into the Wizard of Lite desk toy.

Spice (16) flagReport
  • I can geek out about The Lord of the Rings (books) all day long.

I tend to geek out about permaculture, too. Even though it isn't usually thought of as a geek pursuit, I see the same glassy-eyed look on my wife's face when I launch into it that I see when I go on about LoTR or some tech topic.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Even though I rarely get a chance to do it, gaming is one of my other passions in life. It's what lead me to my career in IT. Without me wanting to play Doom and get better, I would have never learned how to build computers, without knowing how to build & rebuild computers, I would have never landed the job at the PC shop in 1999 where I started learning server administration and network troubleshooting. 
    A couple of years ago, I started building a streaming setup so I could share my passion, and though it's been hit or miss due to my hectic work schedule, I'm on to just have fun, and I think it shows. 
    I'm also a huge fan of Ghostbusters, as I have shown on here multiple times, and I collect all things from toys to building my own replicas (Yes, I backed the pack! Can't wait for 2023!) This interest has gone down to my daughters as well, this past weekend we assembled the Playmobil ECTO 1A for my collection, they don't know they have the firehouse and ECTO-1 hidden in storage for later this year ;-)

Lastly, the other hobby I have is rescuing and rebuilding old computers. Those that know me, know I started a YouTube channel about this, though personal and professional burnout has prevented me from really being active with it. What little I get to mess with it these days, I really enjoy, and look forward to being able to create content again.

Spice (33) flagReport
  • I love single player RPG's, especially JRPG's, as they were my first love. I love the Marvel and Star wars movies, fantasy books, and sports. Fantasy football is one of my favorite activities. I guess as long as you put Fantasy in front of something, I'm all in on it.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Honestly, a little of everything. I also enjoy hearing others that are into the tech and try to engage how the technology could work. I'm quite fond of talking about how this technology could become a reality if we could get the focus out of it's current worldly situation, but I guess that's why it's call fantasy. I'm a lover of Electronics and the thinking process of others because I've always been one to throw the proverbial wrench into situations and make the thinking process more...Oh wait, we could actually do that!...type of thought. It's always fun to hear others talk about their passions and help them think differently. I guess that's why I like talking D&D with people and having them think of situations where something silly, but useful could come into play.

PC: Hey DM do you mind if I pick up some Limestone rocks?
    DM: Sure.

PC: *Places a bunch of Limestone rocks into bag of holding*

~~A few rounds later~~

DM: You get swallowed by a Toad.

PC: I empty my Limestone into the stomach of the Toad.

DM: *Frantic* The acid reacts with the limestone and start to neutralize and becomes salt water. The Toad dies.

PC: How much XP is that?

Spice (16) flagReport
  • Used to be a Star Wars costumer (retired 501st).  A big blow-up within the organization several years ago that I had to get deeply involved in successfully managed to kill my love of Star Wars.  I had always enjoyed Star Trek in parallel, but that incident and the following years pushed me further into the ST realm and away from SW.  Yeah, I watched "Rogue One," the sequel trilogy (I didn't hate them nearly as much as the SW purists and I gave up arguing about it), and Mando.  Didn't see "Solo" or BoBF (no interest in either).

Started rewatching episodes of TNG, DS9, and VOY, and totally geeked out in PIC.  Watching SNW right now.  Never got into DIS, though.  Just seemed too incongruous to capture my attention.

Otherwise, I nerd out about guitar building.  I have various topics going in the Guitars (and basses), amps, and pedals Forum illustrating my builds.

Spice (11) flagReport
  • Cooking, I absolutely love it. All the different cuisine, exploring culture and history through foods, my myriad of cooking vessels, cookbooks, my database of recipes... yeah I can talk about that for hours.  

Spice (14) flagReport
  • I like a lot of things but I do not geek out about them nor to I care to talk about them endlessly.  I mostly just want to left alone when it comes to being around others physically, I can do it if needed but would rather not.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • As my Spiceworks alias suggests, music is what I geek out about - mostly classical, opera, and Broadway, though I appreciate many styles.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Spicy Joseph​ Around here its "Pics or it Didnt Happen"

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Anime, Especially the Mobile Suit Gundam series... I have seen MOST of them at least once. I also have slowly gotten into building Gunpla. Unfortunately I have not had the emotional energy to really focus on it lately, and my backlog is taunting me.  Though I have picked up some new skills, such as Airbrushing through this, so that is cool. 

Board games are another obsession... I have WAY more than I have time to play. I also Enjoy TTRPG and some Tabletop games, such as X-Wing, Star Trek Attack Wing, Star Wars Armada, and BattleTech.

I am also a Guitar Nerd, with several custom electric guitars, some cool amps and a whole slew of pedals...

Yeah, I am complex. 

Spice (9) flagReport
  • MLS, and the plays of Tom Stoppard.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • I get a kick out of watching other people geek out on stuff that I take for granted.

Spice (8) flagReport
  • I dont have time for video Games, I am in the Science Fiction / Fantasy as well as Technology, and Plastic Models, I had built up models as a kid,  A few years back I got into them again.  They are nice to work on, it is a good time to allow my mind to get out of the normal.

Spice (7) flagReport
  • I geek out on Star Wars, The Matrix, Star Trek (TNG all time fave, but been watching OS)

Geeking out on vintage cars, car repairs

Can I geek out on heavy metal? I think I can.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • BiscuitKing wrote:

I like a lot of things but I do not geek out about them nor to I care to talk about them endlessly.  I mostly just want to left alone when it comes to being around others physically, I can do it if needed but would rather not.

Actually, having a topic you can blather on incessantly about is quite a good way to achieve what you want. Ask me how I know. :)

Spice (5) flagReport
  • A lot of things but mostly life. I love exploring and not just in the physical sense of "what is in that cave?" There are very few things that have been genuinely uninteresting to me, for one reason or another. An example right now would be this dorky Johnny Depp trial... I have zero vested interested in either Depp or Heard but I can't get enough of this trial at the moment because I find the court system absolutely fascinating. The last few weeks I've geeked out on this trial and have even gone as far as to seek out legal communities online so I can see "another level" of the conversation and try to better understand what it is I'm watching at times. 

Some other more typical things I routinely geek out about are keyboards, games, PCs, tech in general, etc etc.. another big one would be weather. Meteorology was my original goal and love in life. 

In general, though, I love life. I love people. I love learning about people and what makes them "them." I'm constantly changing my own views and stances as a result and love having those "ah ha!" moments when I realize I've been incredibly wrong or misguided about something. 

Life rocks.

Spice (13) flagReport
  • Babylon 5

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Anyone play Magic the Gathering? 

Spice (9) flagReport
  • I *love* miniatures and wargaming. Creating and painting minis is my full-time hobby. It's very zen and fun for me to be able to make things like this for my many skirmish/wargames and D&D. This is a Death Knight I painted, who almost bodied the entire party before they finally defeated him. 

If you like my work, I'm on all social media as One Inch Heroes! 

Spice (13) flagReport
  • To be fair, I don't consider myself a sci-fi fan, but Star Trek and Star Wars basically are "baby's first sci-fi" when it comes to the genre.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • ITGUYTK wrote:

Spicy Joseph​ Around here its "Pics or it Didnt Happen"

Since you asked haha this was last July.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • I do love Good Sci-Fi and I love Gaming. I love a good story. I love talking strategy about a game and even discussing interesting lore behind some games with great stories. I also love new Tools.

I loved Old Star Trek and Dr. Who shows. I supposed I haven't really enjoyed any of the new stuff lately. I have powered through some of the new Star Trek shows, while they aren't keeping me excited for the next episode, I suppose they have to try and draw a more modern crowd. To me, it seems like they are removing the core Sci-Fi and replacing it current event "issues". I suppose that after once, I doubt I will watch reruns like I do with the older shows.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Oh man, I'm realizing now I might be a jack of all hobbies, master of none...

I love reading all of these! Maybe someday I'll be a proper geek.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Video games is sort of my primary, which is odd because outside of my MMO(FF14), I barely even play video games anymore. Toys and model kits have always been something I liked, but have really become a passion in the last couple of years. A lot of that being part swapping out parts and customizing stuff, but most people have no idea how involved or difficult even minor adjustments can be. Even just painting it in different colors can involve dremeling out joints so that they don't scrape the paint and finish off every time you move something.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • I find that scuba diving is my goto geek out thing...

Spice (5) flagReport
  • SMH-IT Jeff wrote:

To be fair, I don't consider myself a sci-fi fan, but Star Trek and Star Wars basically are "baby's first sci-fi" when it comes to the genre.

And? Cultural relevance has given it a broader appeal so it is less niche than being a fan of The Expanse of Babylon or whatever you consider to be true sci-fi. Fact stands, it is sci-fi and has a deep enough lore that someone can be a geek about it.

Cowboy Bebop is a lot of people "Baby's first anime" but I never hear it getting denigrated like I do Star Wars, as a hasty comparison example..

IMO Gatekeeping is dumb, let people enjoy what they like.

Spice (12) flagReport
  • As well as video games and Sci fi/ Fantasy and pop culture, I also play a couple of Games Workshops skirmish Games (Necromunda and Kill Team)

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Video games although really just sim racing, mostly because I'm rubbish at almost all games apart from driving ones.  Beyond that I love gardening and making stuff, my next project is to build a workshop in the garden so I can have a full electrical bench setup all the time with scopes and other fun bits, I quite fancy a go at black smithing and glass blowing as well, but likely be a while before i get around to that!

Spice (6) flagReport
  • I am a major board gamer.  My family and I spend hours playing board / card games.  Currently in my collection I have almost enough games to play a different board game every day for an entire year.  I tend not to connect with too many other people to play games as I have a large family and more often than  not I am able to find someone that wants to play a game.

Spice (10) flagReport
  • Pretty much the only things I enjoy geeking out on are music and building guitars.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • I love creating things, and I have many different hobbies. I like ring making, tearing apart old tech and making something new from it, crafting, making music, etc. Anything that involves making something from scratch or repurposing an unused item I geek out about.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • The poll is broken, it only lets me select 3 options and I need to choose everything on the list

Spice (15) flagReport
  • I like handyman work, puzzles, hanging out, discussing practical theology (how it should apply to real life and issues).

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Based on what I am reading here, I have no claim to geekness at all. I enjoy a lot of things, but not to the intense level demonstrated by other Spiceheads.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Board games, with over 200 and slowly growing it's something I can spend all day talking about.

Photography, DSLR and multiple courses where I can talk about light and other camera aspects.

Technology, which is way too broad for something like Spicworks.

Spice (7) flagReport
  • In addition to Video Games and D&D I can also geek on about guitars and guitar pedals... and cooking... Marvel movies... er... probably too much I can geek about...

Spice (7) flagReport
  • I try to find new technology almost every day. The challenge is documenting what I find. Sometimes it is as simple as a Zoom screen layout selection I have not used before. Other times it is a piece of equipment that has just come out and has not been evaluated yet - I want it. It is amazing how much new technology is out there, and how and where it shows up.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Ham radio, Blacksmithing, gardening

Oh, and slowly restoring my '94 full size Blazer

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Oh man.... where to start? I geek out about so many fandoms and also am a huge collector. Star Wars, comics, Batman, comic book movies and tv shows, DC comic statues, guitars and music, hockey, anime, and I have probably one of the biggest video game collections you've ever seen, over 500 games across 8 consoles.

Also, I'm absolutely obsessed with my French Bulldog, Chewbacca, who is my profile picture.

Spice (8) flagReport

Read these next...

• Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

• Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Spiceworks

June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

• Burning the employment bridge

Burning the employment bridge

IT & Tech Careers

Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

• Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Windows

Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

• Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...