Home
Join

9 Replies

• What is the question?  How to get the DB files from Carbonite or how to restore them in SQL?

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Yes, how to get them into SQL, thanks. 

• Are they proper SQL backup files or are they the live database files?

If they are proper SQL backup files then you need to have SQL Manager installed on the database server and you use it to restore the files. If they are the live database files it gets more complicated and there is no guarantee they are not corrupted by the backup

• Thank you. It's not an SQL backup. It's a file level backup done by Carbonite when the files were not open by ACT!. Should have the latest changes. I know it's not the right way to back up ACT! but it's the way it is...

• Ok,  in that case you will still need to make sure that SQL Management studio is installed on the machine. 

In Management Studio you will need to detach the current database (which removes it completely from the SQL Server Instance) Then attach the files you are trying to restore. 

You will have most likely have to reconfigure all user permissions manually to those DB's after they are mounted, before they can be accessed.

take a look at this

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/6222/sql-server-attach-and-detach-database-examples/

If the SQL service was stopped at the time of the backup as you state then this should work.

1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Thank you for these pointers. I will check it out. It may take a day. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • NP.

FYI SQL Management Studio (SSMS) is a free download if its not already installed 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server...

and assuming this isn't the Free Express edition of SQL SSMS allows you to setup proper automated SQL DB Backup jobs going forward. If its the Free Express version you are limited to only being able to do manual backup jobs

• Was the built-in Act backup process ever enabled?  That's how I always restored it in the past - restoring from one of its own backups.

• Unfortunately not. Just one ancient manual backup. 

Read these next...

• Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Friday! It has been a big week here as we launched Spiceworks News & Insights a few days ago. Do you know who else had their sights set high? Kenneth Arnold. On June 24, 1947, civilian pilot Ken...

• Chrome is a memory hog?

Chrome is a memory hog?

Windows

I have a win 10 pro machine with 21H2.Running chrome  102.0.5005.115.  I will open a bunch of tabs during the day (right now, 49).  And including other things that are running, there's 80% of the 12GB of RAM in the box.I've noticed that when I go into ...

• When you are just starting out

When you are just starting out

IT & Tech Careers

HI Spiceworld,I was reading some discussions around the community and I see that here it’s like we’re all part of a family, so I venture to open this discussion, hoping that you can help me/understand me or at least bring your experiences. I am a c...

• Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Water Cooler

Compulsion: 1: a very strong urge to do something He felt a compulsion to say something. 2: a force that makes someone do something She was acting under compulsion. 3: an act or the state of forcing an action They ...

• Sublets and the Network

Sublets and the Network

Networking

I have a situation where one of the offices is looking to sublet for 1 day a week. They want one port to put their firewall/router on and drive their network from there. My first notion is to say no and require them to pull in their own connection. I want...