Home
Join

8 Replies

• Whilst you think the two LANs are not connected, they probably are. From the symptom the logical conclusion is that they are connected. I would check every port on the 16 port switch serving the basement.

Perhaps disconnect every port, connect the USG, then connect 1 device at a time to see if it works (gets the tenda DHCP).

Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Thank you for the quick response m@ttshaw​ 

About the logical conclusion, that was also where I landed... In this case it'd mean that the USG's WAN1 port is acting as a LAN port allowing the USG's DHCP to assign IPs to requests coming on the WAN1 side. That would be the only possibility since connections where checked and the only cable that comes from the Tenda's network is the one that is plugged in the USG's WAN port. 

I have also opened a ticket with Ubiquiti to see if they could shed some light on this unusual, non-standard behavior where the WAN1 port is acting as a LAN port instead in hopes that there might be a way to configure the USG to make that port act as a WAN-only port preventing responses to IP assignment request by the USG's DHCP server.

PS: I understand the disconnect and reconnect one at a time advice which would make sense in many cases, sadly on this one rather simple (although it might appear complex when explained) case is not something that would make sense being that it would get reconnected the very same way, but very likely I will try it anyway since that's what one would end up doing when nothing seems to make much sense.

Thanks again for the precious info and suggestions.
  • What is acting as the DHCP server on Ubiquiti network?

• ThaneKrios wrote:

What is acting as the DHCP server on Ubiquiti network?

That would be the USG device whose WAN1 port is connected to the wall plug... which in turn is connected to a network switch on which the tenda is also connected (on its LAN side).

Thanks again for looking into this! :)

• freakqnc wrote:

ThaneKrios wrote:

What is acting as the DHCP server on Ubiquiti network?

That would be the USG device whose WAN1 port is connected to the wall plug... which in turn is connected to a network switch on which the tenda is also connected (on its LAN side).

Thanks again for looking into this! :)

And you are REALLY sure, that this WAN port on the USG is actually a WAN port and not just one more LAN port?

I wouldn't expect from any device to respond to DHCP queries on a WAN port. However, if it is actually a LAN port, than the 'symptoms' you described are just simply to be expected.

Why don't you just turn off the DHCP on the USG? Will probably solve all your problems.

• About WAN port being WAN-only and not LAN... I am as sure of it as I could be with the info I've found on the device. In addition I would have to trust that Ubiquiti (like any manufacturer) would respect the standards in place when producing both the hardware and software that goes with it.

I will try to disable the DHCP and see what happens... thanks :)

Cheers!

• freakqnc wrote:

About WAN port being WAN-only and not LAN... I am as sure of it as I could be with the info I've found on the device. In addition I would have to trust that Ubiquiti (like any manufacturer) would respect the standards in place when producing both the hardware and software that goes with it.

I will try to disable the DHCP and see what happens... thanks :)

Cheers!

I don't own an USG, so I can't talk about specifics of this product.

However... usually, when one installs a wireless router type of device behind an existing internet facing router, you wouldn't be using the WAN port of the wireless router to avoid NAT and possible problems that it might introduce (e.g. problems to print on wireless connected printers).

When a router is slightly smarter than the average home use product, than it's ports are flexibly configurable. So the label on the box may say "WAN", but this could be changed in the configuration, so that the port behaves as a LAN port.

So in your scenario, there could be the possibility, that the WAN port is configured to be a LAN port. That could explain the behavior you described.

• Indeed, that might be the case as similarly mentioned earlier, although at this point I can only speculate that it might be the what might be happening. That said I am hoping that someone from Ubiquiti will reply to my inquiry about it shedding some light on it since letting a port marked as WAN in such a non-standard way by default (I have not changed any configuration on the USG to expressly set  a change of behavior that would instruct the firmware to "Use the WAN port as a LAN port". Finger crossed.

As far as never using WAN to connect more than one router, I've done so successfully in the past (although wasn't a Ubiquiti hardware) where I was also able to split the LAN where the first router would be gateway 192.168.1.1 where its DHCP server was enable and would handle the range of 192.168.1.2~192.168.1.100 while the second router was statically set to IP 192.168.1.101 and its DHCP server was also enabled and handling the remaining IP range from 192.168.1.102 to 192.168.1.254.

I never had any issues with that setup that has been left in service for several years. But now (perhaps for the added complexity of the Unifi system?) this hardware that has been working fine from 2017 up until last year, it's not behaving as expected after the last update performed back last January 2022 date in which I had to also replace a the USG's power adapter that apparently are quite subject to dying unexpectedly.

Thanks again to anyone who took the time to provide some guidance and insight on this. Much appreciated. 🙏👋

Read these next...

• Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

• Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Spiceworks

June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

• Burning the employment bridge

Burning the employment bridge

IT & Tech Careers

Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

• Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Windows

Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

• Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...