Home
Join

19 Replies

• Of course... if you need them to work.  If not... what are they doing all day long...  Keep a few in stock waiting for a disaster..

Spice (10) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Depends on distance of the remote staff. Most of our are fairly local. Had one today. Sounds like system went bad. I have a 95% prepped machine in closet here to swap when they come into the office. Then I will either repair or order something to replace the stock used for today's event.

Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • If it is still in warranty then we call out HP or Dell, if not we try and get someone a bit tech -savvy to be hands and eyes for us and try to diagnose/ advise over the phone or with sametime for video.

If all else fails we get the laptop sent up to us but usually there will be a spare PC to setup at the remote depot in the interim.  As we regularly send trucks between the depots we get the driver to hand carry if the timing is right, otherwise we courier.

Spice (2) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • We have 65 sites. Phone and remote support first. If it is a hardware issue we would mail to their home or use our internal courier to drop a device at one of our sites for pick up and the device with issues would be sent to us for diagnosis, repair or warranty send off.  We always have a stock of working devices that get recycled back to users. We try to keep devices for 3 years or until the warranty is over then new devices replace old devices.  

1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • What does repaired mean?  I assume you mean physical problems but would like to clarify.

For anything short of a physical issue as long as it has internet and is online we can do everything 100% remote including wiping and re-imaging the machine (MS Autopilot & Intune)

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Briser_fae_the_broch wrote:

If it is still in warranty then we call out HP or Dell, if not we try and get someone a bit tech -savvy to be hands and eyes for us and try to diagnose/ advise over the phone or with sametime for video.

If all else fails we get the laptop sent up to us but usually there will be a spare PC to setup at the remote depot in the interim.  As we regularly send trucks between the depots we get the driver to hand carry if the timing is right, otherwise we courier.

For our important people we purchase on-site repair like this... it's a good idea...  Dell or HP certified repair company will come out and do the repair onsite.  

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I guess that the users can't afford to have too much downtime and if you can afford it then manufactures onsite quick response is one way to proceed but you will still need a small stock of laptops ready to be sent out for when that goes wrong. You will go through a cycle of laptop upgrades in time and you can keep some of the returned laptops in reserve for emergencies and it maybe worth getting some refurbished laptops as that reserve for your startup. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • phone support first, if the problem is not solvable remotely then we have a stock of spares (we've managed to have only 3 different types of machine - small, large, removable keyboard) which we will ship out as permanent replacements, the old machine comes back in, is fixed & then goes back into stock as the spare for next time.

• I've got a couple new laptops that can be deployed and a half dozen laptops that are 4-5 years old that are the usual loaners.  Those loaners were in the best condition from the last hardware refresh cycle and have newer batteries and SSDs, so they are decent loaners, just out of warranty.  With 3/4 of the company local, I will try remote support and then ask for the laptop to be brought in for a swap if I can't fix it quickly. For the offsite people, it will be finding out how comfortable they are with a home visit by a Dell tech with a possible loaner system getting overnighted depending on the severity of the issue.  It has only been once or twice where somebody refused to have a tech visit.
    Spice (1) flagReport
  • Looks to me like you're specifically talking about hardware failure.  We have a stash on hand that we can send overnight.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • It depends on the problem. If the machine boots and they can log in then it a remote session to see if the problem can be fixed. If it fails to boot / load windows then I have a pool of laptops that are used for replacements. One from the pool is reconfigured for the user and sent out and the old one is returned, fixed and added back into the pool.

All my remote users are office365 users and everything is saved to the cloud so there is no risk of losing any data when we swap out the laptop

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Those talking about having a pool of spare laptops made me chuckle.

Nowadays we have difficulty even just getting suitable new laptops from suppliers when we need them, never mind having spares!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Briser_fae_the_broch wrote:

Those talking about having a pool of spare laptops made me chuckle.

Nowadays we have difficulty even just getting suitable new laptops from suppliers when we need them, never mind having spares!

Our spares are primarily the used machines that employees had sent back for repair.

• We use Dell laptops, and buy from Dell directly, so every laptop we buy comes with at least 1 year (usually we extend it to 3) next-day onsite repair.  We have remote users in east, central, and west USA, so what's great is dell contracts with local companies across the USA, so there's always a tech available to go to the users' house to troubleshoot issues.

Granted, this is generally used for hardware failures and issues.  I am the first line of defense, and if I can't resolve it remotely, then I call in Dell.

If I were in your shoes and supporting tech that isn't warrantied, then I would start purchasing Dell computers as replacements for them every time something dies.  I believe MSI, Lenovo, HP, and others offer similar support options.  It's definitely not un-manageable.

• davecork wrote:

Briser_fae_the_broch wrote:

Those talking about having a pool of spare laptops made me chuckle.

Our spares are primarily the used machines that employees had sent back for repair.

We basically run them into the ground for about 6 years then they are scrap.  If a higher end user gets a refresh their old one will end up on the shop floor for Brake testing or Wheel alignment for the last couple of years of its life.  Those guys work in a harsh environment so rarely get a brand new one.

• I used to always have a few devices on standby, then if a user killed something they would get a replacement, the dead one would be repaired, stripped for parts etc and then returned to the pool and the user would just carry on with the new device.

However, it quickly became apparent that when other users were getting new kit a certain individual would have an accident and require new kit as well, so it got to the point where I was just repairing her stuff and giving her a loaner, she pretty quickly got the picture, accidents happen, but when there's a pattern, you're taking the piss ;)

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Nice when the company has mules :)

Briser_fae_the_broch wrote:

If it is still in warranty then we call out HP or Dell, if not we try and get someone a bit tech -savvy to be hands and eyes for us and try to diagnose/ advise over the phone or with sametime for video.

• We have mostly Macbooks and buy Apple Care with each.  That covers us for 3 years and there is an Apple store relatively close to most people.  For any Windows Laptops we get warranty with the manufacturer as well, usually Dell. 

We have a handful of spare older devices as well just in case Apple needs to send off the computer or if the user's computer is out of warranty and needs to come back to us. 

Most employees shouldn't be able to afford going days without a device so you need to have a third party support contract, warranty, or spare devices that can be overnighted.

• We send out loaners and they send us the busted laptop. When it's fixed we send the original laptop back and they send us the loaner. My advice would be to have meh loaners so they don't want to keep them. Of course you could have similar model laptops and just do a straight swap and hold onto to the laptop after it's fixed for the next person.

Read these next...

• Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Friday! It has been a big week here as we launched Spiceworks News & Insights a few days ago. Do you know who else had their sights set high? Kenneth Arnold. On June 24, 1947, civilian pilot Ken...

• Chrome is a memory hog?

Chrome is a memory hog?

Windows

I have a win 10 pro machine with 21H2.Running chrome  102.0.5005.115.  I will open a bunch of tabs during the day (right now, 49).  And including other things that are running, there's 80% of the 12GB of RAM in the box.I've noticed that when I go into ...

• When you are just starting out

When you are just starting out

IT & Tech Careers

HI Spiceworld,I was reading some discussions around the community and I see that here it’s like we’re all part of a family, so I venture to open this discussion, hoping that you can help me/understand me or at least bring your experiences. I am a c...

• Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Water Cooler

Compulsion: 1: a very strong urge to do something He felt a compulsion to say something. 2: a force that makes someone do something She was acting under compulsion. 3: an act or the state of forcing an action They ...

• Sublets and the Network

Sublets and the Network

Networking

I have a situation where one of the offices is looking to sublet for 1 day a week. They want one port to put their firewall/router on and drive their network from there. My first notion is to say no and require them to pull in their own connection. I want...