Home
Join

18 Replies

• I used to recycle AOL CDs and make flashy bird scarers for my parents' fruit garden...

Spice (13) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Pretty cool. I love board games but my family isn't so keen on playing them with me. Only my oldest daughter seemed to enjoy them. We played Mice and Mystics together and it's got some cool art.

Also, I love Small World and it's got a pretty cool board that perhaps could be framed. I love dice, too, and a giant wall of 20-sided dice would be pretty cool.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • I stop my board games ending up in a landfill by keeping them on top of the wardrobe where they can collect a thick layer of dust.

Spice (13) flagReport
  • My friend made a Christmas wreath with some old RAM sticks. That was neat but she is very crafty.

One day I would like to kit bash some Gunpla, but that wont be for a bit. LEGO by nature get repurposed into new projects all the time. 

I wanna say soemthing with Magic the Gathering as well, tons of spare mana cards I could do soemthing with, just don't know what.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • At first I thought that the image was a bunch of big box PC games from the 80s and 90s. My first thoughts were "don't recycle them! Play them or collect them!" then I saw it's about board games, lol.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • I used to make Warhammer 40k terrain out of Styrofoam balls and cylinders that you can purchase at Hobby Lobby.

As for up/recycling games, I used a bunch of miniatures from the Descent board game as proxies for D&D characters/monsters when I first started getting back into the game.

I've got three copies of Betrayal at House on the Hill and have always wanted to do something neat with one of my spare copies. This might happen sooner than later with the new version coming out pretty soon.

As for up/recycling tech, I pulled out a bunch of 4th-gen Intel processors a couple years back, de-lidded/cleaned them and set them in resin as coasters. They turned out pretty awesome (my wife swirled glitter and other unicorn magic into them).

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Took apart a failed 2.5" IDE hard drive one day and showed the highly reflective disks to my boss.  "Gimme!" she said.  The next day, she was wearing them as earrings.

Spice (11) flagReport
  • We made a Christmas wreath from old DDR1 we had kicking around a couple years ago. It still gets a lot of attention from the students here!

Additionally, I recently bought a box of neon floppy disks for my 98se rig:

Turns out they also make good tree decorations - despite some students asking what they were....

Spice (6) flagReport
  • I make drink coasters out of the badges from the front of HP printers. I would love to see a Robot Wars series where everything excluding controllers and batteries be recycled IT equipment.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I need to repurpose over 300 medals.....not sure how to do that. Ideas welcome! Medals used to be hung as seen here but the display failed so I took them all down. 

Spice (12) flagReport
  • Cool use of old games. Thanks for sharing, Suzanne!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Always taking old circuit boards and using them for decorations is fun. Or spare parts if you can still use them.

Some of those board games are now collectible and worth value so watch out what you may get rid of.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I glued CDs and DVDs print side together and then used paper clips to hang the "Shiny orbs" on a 25' outdoor Christmas tree one year.  After, we shipped the ornaments to CD Recyclers of America (they shred and make plastic pellets that are then used for office furniture).  They had to close during Covid-19 and haven't reopened yet :(

Spice (2) flagReport
  • i have / had a circuit board keyring since the late 90s, a friend gave me it and i haven't let it go since!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • My Dad was an electronic engineer who kickstarted my IT career. When He died, I took all of his hard drives and remove the platters and made them into a windchime, one platter for each of his many children.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I used all of my heavily scratched Nintendo GameCube discs, put them back to back and tied them with ribbon to make nerdy (Mostly Batman games) Christmas ornaments. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Pat's Games in Austin, probably the most famous local game store in town, has a few tables that have a bunch of Magic cards lined up and lacquered to the top. I've seen a picture online of someone apparently turning Magic cards into flooring.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I just recently had a TON of games get re-homed to me. 

I literally ONLY wanted Magical Athlete... but ended up with over 50 other games. 

I am struggling with storing them... but MAN if it isn't an impressive(and intimidating) stack!

There are some that would make great displays like this... I will have to look into it.

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...

• Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

• Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Spiceworks

June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

• Burning the employment bridge

Burning the employment bridge

IT & Tech Careers

Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

• Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Windows

Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

• Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...