Home
Join

6 Replies

• Does the dock install a separate network adapter?

The best course of action is probably going to be to get a dock made for that laptop that supports NIC/MAC address passthrough.

Spice (3) flagReport
    3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Thanks Big Green Man​ you're reply has many layers. We're considering going with docks made by the same manufacturer of the laptops in question. 

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I would make a reservation in DHCP for the computer(s) to always assign it the same address(es).  It won't matter if it falls asleep or is turned off past your DHCP lease time because the DHCP server will only give that IP to that MAC.  You get some of the benefits of a static address with the flexibility of DHCP (if you change DNS servers for example).
    Spice (2) flagReport
    1 of 2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • I'm confused as to how the IP changing is breaking DNS. What are you using as your DNS server? If it's also your DHCP server, it sounds like the DHCP and DNS services may either be misconfigured or setup to not communicate with one another.

Spice (1) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Jrx1216 wrote:

I'm confused as to how the IP changing is breaking DNS. What are you using as your DNS server? If it's also your DHCP server, it sounds like the DHCP and DNS services may either be misconfigured or setup to not communicate with one another.

If the record's TTL is short enough, this shouldn't be a problem. If it's not, clients with the old records cached will fail to resolve until their resolver cache is cleared, even if the record is updated on the DNS server.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • changes the host address? if the device is dhcp, then it is the server that would change it upon dhcp request if it needs to.
    Is the host only using the dock for network (no othr wired nic, no wifi)?
    What are the dhcp lease times - that is the likely cause.

I would suggest that Big green Man's  suggestion of making sure DNS is updated is the best resolution to this.

Read these next...

• Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Friday! It has been a big week here as we launched Spiceworks News & Insights a few days ago. Do you know who else had their sights set high? Kenneth Arnold. On June 24, 1947, civilian pilot Ken...

• Chrome is a memory hog?

Chrome is a memory hog?

Windows

I have a win 10 pro machine with 21H2.Running chrome  102.0.5005.115.  I will open a bunch of tabs during the day (right now, 49).  And including other things that are running, there's 80% of the 12GB of RAM in the box.I've noticed that when I go into ...

• When you are just starting out

When you are just starting out

IT & Tech Careers

HI Spiceworld,I was reading some discussions around the community and I see that here it’s like we’re all part of a family, so I venture to open this discussion, hoping that you can help me/understand me or at least bring your experiences. I am a c...

• Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Water Cooler

Compulsion: 1: a very strong urge to do something He felt a compulsion to say something. 2: a force that makes someone do something She was acting under compulsion. 3: an act or the state of forcing an action They ...

• Sublets and the Network

Sublets and the Network

Networking

I have a situation where one of the offices is looking to sublet for 1 day a week. They want one port to put their firewall/router on and drive their network from there. My first notion is to say no and require them to pull in their own connection. I want...