Home
Join

14 Replies

• Heard of it 5 years ago. It seemed like a fad back then and that people didn't actually like it. Covid might have changed things, though. We'll see if it sticks.

Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • kevinmhsieh wrote:

Heard of it 5 years ago. It seemed like a fad back then and that people didn't actually like it. Covid might have changed things, though. We'll see if it sticks.

Will be interesting to see what happens. 

And good point. I expanded the pole with one additional question.

• Yeah. We're looking for a tool that will let us upload a floorplan and book desks / boardrooms / parking spots. I've seen some options around. But they want it integrated with Outlook. So you book the desk the same way you book an appointment. Any one know of something like that?

• It's kind of first come first get over here but I leave enough spare parts on my desk as to render it visually uninteresting to others 🤭. I need all those bits to service the gear we use in the warehouse. It's simply unthinkable for me to store it up after a day of work and set up again before a new day. That and the fact I have bolted some parts to my desk so they don't get used for spare parts.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • First did it over 20 years ago - at that point we only had desktop computers - it was a PITA and we hated it, needless to say, as we were second line support we worked ways around it so we had enough machines ;)

Since leaving that job I've not had to hot desk, until now.... 

We now hot desk, with a clear desk policy so you can't leave anything on there, but at least we have laptops so we're not sharing kit - other than the monitor on a monitor arm.

We tend to sit in the same spots though - so the only affect is that we have a clear desk when we come in and go home - and a few minutes of additional setup/cleardown time.

• We have a limited hot desking for staff that occasionally come to the office by providing a docking station setup with monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

• We have been doing this for a while now.  They call it a whole bunch of names but not matter what they call it it never works out well. 

• I've never heard of this.  The closest thing I've heard is in call centers, where people use a desk for their shift and then somebody else uses the same desk for their shift.  But here everyone has a desk and in most cases an office and that's where they stay.  

• Worked with a company that tried this.
    Spectacular failure.  One of these employees somehow managed to infest the chair with bedbugs.
    The other two employees at the desk discovered this pretty quickly and refused to be anywhere near the office until the company had the entire office area sterilized.
    Spice (1) flagReport
  • NO thank you, I want my desk setup the way I want it with a few personal things on it that I don't want others messing with.

• I'm a deputy team lead so I have my own desk, but everyone else sets up on long testing benches. People tend to gravitate to roughly the same spot as creatures of habit, but move around as needed.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • We have hot-desking implemented in theory. However, people try to keep using the same place in practice, so it doesn't work at 100% anyway.

• No, I never heard that term before. But yes, I know of such a practice. Some companies go further into that direction, especially due to pandemic the recent two years while others remain more traditional or have not yet decided.

And it does not need to be a universal practice neither. There may be a mix. When I worked in a hotel as night auditor, we had some kind of hot desking. I had all workplaces for myself during my night shift. At the beginning and the end of each night shift, I had to share workplaces. And I had to provide resources for the teams starting at the next morning. Whoever came first of such teams was picking up what I prepared for these teams. No booking was required. And several teams don't have office desks at all or just in a corner.

In IT, I always got a desk. At one corporation, I had to move desks every few months due to growth of project team. I was a temp there and had to make place when new staff needed training and cooperation for on-boarding. At another corporation, I also got a desk but had to move desks once during on-boarding which was expected to last about 24-36 months but was aborted after 18 months. But beside my desk, I had to use the test lab. At the test lab, we had no assigned workplaces but every team member was going there as needed. Parts of our tasks could be done remotely from our office workplace while others needed our presence at the test lab. And after the last change of (office) desk, we got two separate server rooms, in addition to our test lab while before all was in a single test lab room. This separation was better for our health. And the new HVAC for the server rooms was better engineered as well. And despite growing team size, we did not need a formal tool to coordinate workplaces at test lab. At weekly team meeting, we got updates when specific re-engineering would impact other workplaces at the test lab for how long. And such re-engineering happened usually only every few months.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • We also do limited hot-desking (providing monitors, docking stations etc.) to accommodate our growth. We use it primarily for field employees as well as those who chose to work from home most of the time. It largely works as long as the shared equipment is compatible with the mobile employee.

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...

• Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Friday! It has been a big week here as we launched Spiceworks News & Insights a few days ago. Do you know who else had their sights set high? Kenneth Arnold. On June 24, 1947, civilian pilot Ken...

• Chrome is a memory hog?

Chrome is a memory hog?

Windows

I have a win 10 pro machine with 21H2.Running chrome  102.0.5005.115.  I will open a bunch of tabs during the day (right now, 49).  And including other things that are running, there's 80% of the 12GB of RAM in the box.I've noticed that when I go into ...

• When you are just starting out

When you are just starting out

IT & Tech Careers

HI Spiceworld,I was reading some discussions around the community and I see that here it’s like we’re all part of a family, so I venture to open this discussion, hoping that you can help me/understand me or at least bring your experiences. I am a c...

• Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Water Cooler

Compulsion: 1: a very strong urge to do something He felt a compulsion to say something. 2: a force that makes someone do something She was acting under compulsion. 3: an act or the state of forcing an action They ...

• Sublets and the Network

Sublets and the Network

Networking

I have a situation where one of the offices is looking to sublet for 1 day a week. They want one port to put their firewall/router on and drive their network from there. My first notion is to say no and require them to pull in their own connection. I want...