Considering it's World Backup Day... I figured I'd share with you some best practices!
Back in January of this year, our AWS team collaborated and shared a list of top 10 security best practices for securing backups in AWS. And, quick note... This post focuses on backup data and operations in AWS Backup service, however, the recommended security best practices can be leveraged by organizations that utilize other backup solutions, such as backup tools from the AWS Marketplace. Here's a quick glance:
- Implement a backup strategy
- Incorporate backup in DR and BCP
- Automate backup operations
- Implement access control mechanisms
- Encrypt backup data and vault
- Safeguard backups using immutable storage
- Implement backup monitoring and alerting
- Audit backup configuration
- Test data recovery capabilities
- Incorporate backup in incident response plan
For more info on each of these best practices, feel free to take a gander at the post, here.
And, just for fun, I figured it would be interesting to see which of these best practices you're currently using for your organization to secure your data. Feel free to check off any and all that apply!