Home
Join

14 Replies

• I'm pretty sure you mean on premise. ESET is a good alternative for me. Regards 

Spice (2) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Ok. First of all, you must explain what was your problem with Kaspersky, If it was technically.

generally, I suggest Bitdefender GravityZone Ultra based on many technical reasons.

In the last 5 years, Bitdefender is recognized as a cybersecurity leader by independent testing organizations, industry analyst firms, and media outlets. Bitdefender has got most #1 rankings from 2018 up to 2021 in AV-comparatives tests.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • unfortunately the choice is not technical, because it is a software that I love, but it is political .. war in Russia

• We use SentinelOne here which has been great, but if it *has* to be on-prem, I've had good experiences with ESET and Bitdefender. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • AndreaSur wrote:

unfortunately the choice is not technical, because it is a software that I love, but it is political .. war in Russia

While I've loved using KIS for more than 10 years, I will not renew due to the humanitarian issues Russia has caused. It's sad that individual company's will suffer, such as Kaspersky, due to the regimes actions...but I cannot in good faith support a company based in that nation. If Kaspersky were to close doors in Russia and only be located in their other headquarters, I may reconsider.

At that point, I'm going with either Malwarebytes Premium Endpoint or Bitdefender.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Have you looked at AV Comparatives? They regularly update this. I personally would look at Bitdefender, MalwareBytes, or ESET.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/enterprise/comparison/

Spice (2) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • We use ESET here and have had almost no issues with it. The only notable problem we had with their AV scanner was nearly a decade ago when it failed to detect a ransomware strain but that's basically around when ransomware was really just starting to become a problem so I hardly fault them for that oversight.

That said, I don't know if I can ethically suggest making such a commitment to switch over to ESET simply due to base political concerns about Kaspersky, especially for something that could wind up being a relatively short-term issue (I mean, I really hope the conflict in Ukraine doesn't devolve into World War 3). Russians that speak out against the war their government has launched against Ukraine have literally been jailed for doing so. As such, making business decisions based on a company being headquartered in Russia alone feels like kicking someone when they're down because speaking out in any significant way seems to be a pretty sure-fire way to get unjustly arrested and imprisoned over there right now.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • We have been switching our customers over to Sophos recently.

• Another plus one for ESET, the only downside I've found in using ESET is their disconnect between the business account and the account used to manage your licenses. They do have a way to resolve this now, and have the license transferred to your EBA, and you're unlikely to run into this issue nowadays. I'm pretty sure the only reason I had to deal with it was because we started using ESET 3 full revisions ago.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Robert Zed wrote:

We have been switching our customers over to Sophos recently.

We looked at Sophos last year when we renewed our Kaspersky, the pricing was phenomenal, 5x the price for a years shorter term and less features.

• Just FYI but Kaspersky is not on the US list of Nation Security Risks - Do not Use

FCC Warns That Kaspersky Poses National Security Risk

https://www.pcmag.com/news/fcc-warns-that-kaspersky-poses-national-security-risk

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Robert Zed​,

Thank you for switching to Sophos and for the mention here.

For anyone looking for an alternative to Kaspersky, you can get a free demo of Sophos Endpoint protection.

• Most of our customers use Sophos as do we and we have found it to nicely serve our needs. 

• Hey AndreaSur,
    A bit late to this conversation, but in case you may still be considering your options for alternatives, you may want to look into Webroot's Business Endpoint Protection solution for yourself to see if its the right fit for your organization. Our solution leverages an advanced machine learning-based threat intelligence platform to power real-time predictive and behavioral analysis to deliver highly automated threat prevention and protection. Webroot has a small footprint of less than <5MB, can be rolled out efficiently installed in just a few seconds, and scans are lightweight without overly burdening CPU and RAM usage. For an additional resource, feel free to check out our datasheet.
    If you’d like to check out more info or try it out Webroot through our free trial take a look here.
    Hope this is helpful! Please let me know if you have any questions!

Read these next...

• Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Friday! It has been a big week here as we launched Spiceworks News & Insights a few days ago. Do you know who else had their sights set high? Kenneth Arnold. On June 24, 1947, civilian pilot Ken...

• Chrome is a memory hog?

Chrome is a memory hog?

Windows

I have a win 10 pro machine with 21H2.Running chrome  102.0.5005.115.  I will open a bunch of tabs during the day (right now, 49).  And including other things that are running, there's 80% of the 12GB of RAM in the box.I've noticed that when I go into ...

• When you are just starting out

When you are just starting out

IT & Tech Careers

HI Spiceworld,I was reading some discussions around the community and I see that here it’s like we’re all part of a family, so I venture to open this discussion, hoping that you can help me/understand me or at least bring your experiences. I am a c...

• Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Water Cooler

Compulsion: 1: a very strong urge to do something He felt a compulsion to say something. 2: a force that makes someone do something She was acting under compulsion. 3: an act or the state of forcing an action They ...

• Sublets and the Network

Sublets and the Network

Networking

I have a situation where one of the offices is looking to sublet for 1 day a week. They want one port to put their firewall/router on and drive their network from there. My first notion is to say no and require them to pull in their own connection. I want...