Home
Join

66 Replies

• Fruit Loops reminds me of Howard's nickname in The Big Bang!

Spice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Very USA centric list that

My favourite is Crunchy Nut Cornflakes - my horrendously sweet tooth prefers things coated in honey :) 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I don't do cereal, I have porridge. When I did do cereal I'd flip between Frosties and Weetabix. Sometimes both. Shreddies were good too.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Rice Krispies and Apple Jacks were my favorites growing up.
    _____

2. Shamrock Day

In the US as a child, you were told to wear green on the 17th so you won't get pinched (because you didn't wear green).  Even though I'm a grown adult, I still am panicked when dressing on the 17th to put on green or be pinched (which doesn't happen anymore).

_____

3. Day of Happiness

Don't worry, be happy!
    _____

4. SpiceRex's 12th Birthday!

So cool to celebrate my birthday month with Spicy!
    _____

5. Backup Day

We had a bad ransomware event hit a client on a weekend.  Because we had a Scale Computing​ cluster with offsite replication server, we were able to roll back the servers to 1 hour before the ransomware event and get the server back to functional (along with plugging the opening that let the ransomware in and changing all the account access logins and passwords).  So glad we had a Scale cluster!
    Spice (7) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Tell us what your breakfast go-to was when you were a kid.:   Crunch Berries

Tell us what your breakfast go-to is now.:  Granola

2. Shamrock Day

Tell us about some green things that you like.:  ANYTHING Green, it's my favorite color!

3. Day of Happiness

Tell us something that made you happy recently.:  Hugs from my Granddaughter.. nothing better than that.

Tell us something you would love to do with SpiceRex for his birthday.:  Dunno... Trip to the moon?  I'd do that regardless if I could.

5. Backup Day

Tell us a time when a backup has saved your bacon (figuratively... or literally, if your bacon was in danger).  About every few weeks when an engineer accidentally overwrites a file on the server.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • 1. I always liked frosted flakes as a kid.  I could pretend they were healthy while the sugar melted off them.  Today, I rarely start a day without eggs and cereal is only consumed on a particularly lazy morning.

2. In the good old US of A, money is still green.  But in general, green is one of my favorite colors.  So much better than mud brown.

3. Got an awesome hug from my little girl this morning.

4. Hide in a corner and tease him.

5. Backups have been very critical multiple times.  About 7 years ago my system admin took down our Exchange server for updates one Saturday afternoon.  I was generally aware, but enjoying my time off.  I got a call from the company owner at around 8 PM asking if I was aware that email had been down for 3 or more hours.  I remoted in to find my system admin struggling to get windows running.  He had thoroughly trashed the server.  I stopped him cold, spun up a backup image from just before he started and had our email flowing again within 45 minutes of being notified.  Backups saved the day, and Monday morning I took responsibility for my system admin's lack of knowledge.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Tell us what your breakfast go-to was when you were a kid.:   Mom made oatmeal and cinnamon toast most days. Still my favorite.

2. Shamrock Day

Tell us about some green things that you like.: Money lol Seriously though, springtime in Ohio has some seriously beautiful greenery.

3. Day of Happiness

Tell us something that made you happy recently.: My wife, recently and most days ;)

Tell us something you would love to do with SpiceRex for his birthday.: The SpiceRex I received several yeas ago used to be on my desk, but my daughter asked for it. It's still in her bedroom on her computer desk.

5. Backup Day

Tell us a time when a backup has saved your bacon (figuratively... or literally, if your bacon was in danger). On a regular basis we have someone that moved, deleted, or changed something and call panicked wanting to know if I can recover it for them. The think I'm magic because we have good backups lol

Spice (5) flagReport
  • 1. Whatever cereal my mom had bought.

2. My favorite green thing is the green lights on the network switch coming on when I plug things in.  :)

3. Happiness - I try to let as many things as possible make me happy, although not always easy.  Right now, I'm happy for my daughter and her fiancee who both just got new, good paying jobs.  Their happiness is my happiness.

4. Spice Rex's Birthday - I dunno...  a Jurassic Park movie marathon maybe?  Definitely would NOT take a trip to the Museum of Natural History...

5. Backups have been handy a few times, but it was just to recover a lost or deleted file(s).... so far nothing major (knocks on wooden desk).

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Kenny8416 wrote:

Very USA centric list that

My favourite is Crunchy Nut Cornflakes - my horrendously sweet tooth prefers things coated in honey :) 

Hey Kenny,

Added some in that were already mentioned, but if you have a list of like the top ten cereals in europe (or outside US anywhere), let me know and I will add them.  I just pulled "top" lists from online.  They didn't say they were US-centric, but I'm sure they were.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

 Loved Fruity Pebbles as a kid, not so much any more.

2. Shamrock Day

 Green is my favorite color as it is the color the world is in the summer.  So.. I like Green Trees!

3. Day of Happiness

 Oh boy so many things make me happy.  Each new day is an opportunity to be 

 We were going to Vegas together, but he ditched me for this...

5. Backup Day

 Backups have saved my users butts many times.  I have only needed it for a Production Server once that failed hard, and not only did I have a backup but a plan on how to use it to keep the business going.
    Spice (5) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Tell us what your breakfast go-to is now.: Coffee and everything bagel toasted with butter.

2. Shamrock Day

Tell us about some green things that you like.: List is looooong. Green Kawasaki Ninja, Green Lambo, Green Dodge Challenger......

3. Day of Happiness

Tell us something that made you happy recently.: Meeting friends and having fun!

Tell us something you would love to do with SpiceRex for his birthday.: To the moooon! 🚀

5. Backup Day

Tell us a time when a backup has saved your bacon (figuratively... or literally, if your bacon was in danger): A few times when a remote PC just stopped working. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day:

Fruit Loops!  I got to eat them when I stayed at a friend’s house.  I didn’t get to eat it at home.

2. Shamrock Day:

3. Day of Happiness:

02/25/22 I took the day off and slept most of it.  My wife took care of our four-footed children.

Talk to Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk and take the preteen SpiceRex into space.

5. Backup Day

I had a change request to edit a Cisco ASA 5220 at a hospital.  Instead of x.x.x.x/28, I typed x.x.x.x/24.  It redirected medical images somewhere they were not readable.  I did not back up/download the configuration as I usually do.   I did not have puTTY recording my changes so I could easily back them out

3.      The ASA was 2 years past EOL/EOS and Cisco was not going to support it.  My director made some deal, and I got a tech and he found it in 10 minutes.

4.      That caused a five-hour outage.  NEVER AGAIN!

a.      All my processes start with download the config

b.      Turn on logging for whatever application being used so the steps can be traced.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Boo-Berry, Frankenberry and Count Chocula sp?

Spice (1) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

As a kid, I was all over the cereal aisle. I didn't have a "go-to," because I would rotate through a ton of different cereals. These days, my go-to is definitely Cheerios. But we'll also get Mini Wheats, Honeycomb, Basic Four... and we have to get a box of each of the monster cereals around Halloween time.

2. Shamrock Day

I'm not the biggest fan of the color green, but I do love green energy.

3. Day of Happiness

Since it's Tuesday, I plan on having tacos for lunch and/or dinner. That makes me very happy.

I'm just gonna take this opportunity to say that Spiceworks should bring back the SpiceRex plush! Then I could buy one and take him on all sorts of adventures.

5. Backup Day

When I worked at the local Genius Bar, I saw backups save the day plenty of times. I also watched people absolutely crumble when they lost data and didn't have a backup. The latter was much, much more common than the former. So, even though I haven't personally had a backup save my bacon, I'm pretty diligent about backing up my important data.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day Related Task: tell us what your breakfast go-to was when you were a kid.

Cereal, usually Apple Jacks, Cookie Crisp or what my mom had a coupon for. These days, I have a sausage and egg sandwich.

2. Shamrock Day Related Task: tell us about some green things that you like.

My molle backpack the army let me keep after I left. Technically it's camo but it's mostly green. Cash in cards, envelopes or randomly in a coat pocket. 

3. Day of Happiness Related Task: tell us something that made you happy recently.

Owning my own home again and moving out my in-laws house.

4. SpiceRex's 12th Birthday! Related Task: tell us something you would love to do with SpiceRex for his birthday. Hang Gliding? Trip to the Moon? Bobbing for Apples? Bonus points if you include a pic of you two having fun together. :)

Trip to Micro Center

5. Backup Day Related Task: tell us a time when a backup has saved your bacon (figuratively... or literally, if your bacon was in danger).

We had a bunch of hardware crash once. Thankfully everyone's personal drives were backed up, so we could restore files they had saved on the network, which we kept telling people to do because it was backed up.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • The cereal poll is a trip down dessert for breakfast lane.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I unironically love Wheaties. As far as sweet cereals, there are a few on that list along with Honeycombs I like to eat. Cereal is on of those snacks I like when I need a little...something.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

When I was younger, a bowl of froot loops and half a pot of coffee and the house was cleaned in an hour.  Now it's a bit of granola sprinkled over greek yogurt.
    _____

2. Shamrock Day

I found a 4 leaf clover once.  We neigbourhood kids would spend hours looking.  My favorite green is grass, the lawn not smoking kind. Favorite color is black like my soul.

_____

3. Day of Happiness

Every day should be a day of happiness. After I get ready for work in thge morning I spend some time with my dog.  Start the day with a warm puppy.
    _____

Happy Birthday!  Think I've been on Spiceworks almost that long.
    _____

5. Backup Day

10 years ago one of my attorney's dropped and shattered his phone.  Had all of his first kids 18 months of photos on it not backed up.  Spent about $900 for data recovery. Fast forward to last week, his ancient Note will no longer charge, repair can't help.  Now it's the last 3 years of photos on a phone that has no ability to turn on, and he never backed up.  
    Spice (6) flagReport
  • chivo243 wrote:

Boo-Berry, Frankenberry and Count Chocula sp?

I just looked online for the box designs and I think the spellings I have are correct.  Boo Berry, Franken Berry, and Count Chocula.  On the first one, some boxes where there are ghost bubbles or something in between make it look hyphenated, but I don't think it is, and in other box designs it is definitely not.  Interestingly, I also see that there were other monster cereals that I had never heard of... Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy. :)  I had no idea.  I remember loving Boo Berry when I was a kid, but it has been a while.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

I rotated between Fruit Loops, Apple Jacks, Cookie Crisp, Frosted Flakes, Sugar Smacks, and Raisin Bran.

2. Shamrock Day

Does liking broccoli and Brussels sprouts count?

3. Day of Happiness

Every day when I get home and my doggie, Lola, is there to great me makes me happy.

I'll try to remember to take a picture when I take him out for a birthday beer.

5. Backup Day

It was nice when I had a backup of our Exchange server at a previous job when it crashed overnight. It just happened to crash after the backup was finished which made it even better.
    Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Back when I was a kid, it was bread with Nutella. It still is my go-to. I'll sometimes get some Fruit Loops or Applejacks, but that's rare.

2. Shamrock Day

Frogs are nice.

3. Day of Happiness

I received my Fart Pedal yesterday. Yes, it's exactly what you think it is. It's both epic and hilarious. https://thefartpedal.com/

I'd give him extended grabber tools (like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Grabber-Reaching-Foldable-Lightweight-Extension/dp/B081RMBJ1B). SpiceRex will be unstoppable!

5. Backup Day

What's that "backup" thing you are talking about?. But seriously, we did tape backup for a few years on media that could be written to, but not read from. We found out when phasing out tape to move to HDDs...

Spice (5) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day
    Related Task: tell us what your breakfast go-to was when you were a kid.
    Lucky Charms

2. Shamrock Day
    Related Task: tell us about some green things that you like.
    On a scale of 1 to 10 how much do you like frogs?

3. Day of Happiness
    Related Task: tell us something that made you happy recently.
    Cracked a whole booster box of MTG cards with my son...

Related Task: tell us something you would love to do with SpiceRex for his birthday. Hang Gliding? Trip to the Moon? Bobbing for Apples? Bonus points if you include a pic of you two having fun together. :)
    Depends on if SpiceRex years are like human years or like dog years... If we have to keep it preteen maybe skydiving, if hed be considered legal than a pub crawl maybe...

5. Backup Day
    Related Task: tell us a time when a backup has saved your bacon (figuratively... or literally, if your bacon was in danger).
    Accidentally formatted a hdd that had my kids baby pictures on it, the wife was not happy... After a few days in the dog house I remembered I had backed them up to a thumbdrive...

Spice (4) flagReport
  • The other cereals I like that aren't listed:

• Raisin Bran Crunch
    • Special K with Strawberries
    • Cap'n Crunch's Oops! All Berries
    • Chocolate Cheerios

I really like cereal, any time of the day.   :-D

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 1. I ate a bunch of Shreddies, Honeycombs, Fruit Loops, Alphabits, and Cheerios. My mom would also cook oatmeal or cream of wheat.

2. My wife's eyes, Lush forests, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, lime Jell-o, and Asparagus

3. My daughter had a baby - The second grandbaby for me.

4. Ski tour of the Swiss Alps, Lake Tahoe, and Jackson Hole

5. I had carelessly deleted the C: drive on our server, instead of the extended partition - D. Fortunately, I had just completed a full back-up. Restored it promptly and then deleted the correct partition.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

As a kid, I liked Lucky Charms, as a teen, I liked Cinnamon Toast Crunch.  Now sugar does not like me, so I like Shredded Mini Wheat.

_____

2. Shamrock Day

My wife's green eyes.   I thought the Windows XP background was nice.  

_____

3. Day of Happiness

My daughter getting her Masters degree

_____

Assuming 12 years in T-Rex years is old enough, drinking some smooth bourbon.

_____

5. Backup Day

Didn't save my bacon, but it was nice in any event... A user deleted a few dozen spreadsheets from a network share.  Thanks to backups, I was able to tell them no problem and restore them while on the phone.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Voted!

I liked several cereals growing up but Cinnamon Toast Crunch was probably my favorite.

2. Shamrock Day

I like a lot of green things... Money, trees, lettuce, chiles, bell peppers, onions, olives. Also power, activity, and status lights on electronics.

3. Day of Happiness

I had a blast snowshoeing recently. Fun day!

Hmmm... I think we would go out and eat steak together. SpiceRex would probably need a much larger portion than I would.

5. Backup Day

I just had a set of backups save my bacon this morning actually (had to restore some databases which had encountered some human provided input issues). Multiple backups and the ability to restore them quickly is a great thing.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Related Task: It was either Boo Berry or Lucky Charms

_____

2. Shamrock Day

Shamrock day... a great excuse to wear green, but hopefully not to BE green, since as Kermit has oft reminded us, that is not easy.

Related Task: Money, Yoda

_____

3. Day of Happiness

Related Task: Getting to spend time with my family

_____

The 27th is our pal SpiceRex's 12th birthday. And the community just turned 14 last month. Everyone is growing up so fast. :)

Related Task: I think SpiceRex and I would have a great time gambling in Vegas.  

_____

5. Backup Day

Related Task: This is a combination of the Related Task and the Alternate task.  I got a call while I was on Christmas vacation that the SharePoint site that our customer was working on was missing.  After some investigation, we determined that one of the IT admins had been trying to clean up space on the HD and was emptying the trash.  Unfortunately he was up one level from the trash and deleted the whole site instead and it was all gone.  Fortunately we had tape backups at the data center, right?....WRONG!!!...we had backups, but the most recent ones had been overwritten because the person that was supposed to go replace the weekly tape while I was out of town hadn't done it.  So, the most recent backup was 2 weeks old.  We were able to fix several processes and issues due to this and we restored about 50% of the site after about 72 hours of basically living at the data center.  Fixes: We moved the SharePoint data to the data drive (whoever installed it had pointed the data to C:, and this was why it kept running out of space), we got a virtual tape drive system, so we no longer had to rely on the weekly tapes being changed out (just changed once a month for an off-site backup), and restricted permissions and access to the sharepoint administration.  So all in all, not a terrible outcome, but not the best either.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Back in the day as a youngling, my favorite breakfast was Quisp.  It faded away from stores in the 70’s (but is still available online).  Nowdays, I’ll grab a sausage, egg, and cheese McGriddle or snag some donuts out of the break room.

2. Shamrock Day

Kermit’s green.  I like him.  Currently my (adult) daughter has gotten into collecting the little stuffed beanie cats from Cats vs. Pickles, so now I have a bunch of little green beanie bag pickles.

3. Day of Happiness

What made me happy today was receiving a box a specialty chocolates from small town chocolatier here in Texas that specializes in liqueur filled chocolates.

A recent event where I made someone else smile (although rather embarrassing) was two weeks ago on a Sunday night headed home we drove through a fast-food place to grab a snack.  The woman on the speaker who took our order sounded really worn out and frazzled.  When we got to the pick-up window, we could tell there were only two staff in the store.  The rest of the crew had not shown up for work and these two had been running non-stop all evening.  As we pulled away from the place, my wife had me stop at the grocery store across the street and pick up a couple of small flower bouquets and we pulled back around to the pick up window and handed them the flowers and let them know how much we appreciated their work.

I don’t know . . .  Is SpiceRex a carnivore?  Does he hunt SpiceCeratops or other Spice-osaurus?  Or does he hunt peppers (the spicier the better)?  Either way I’d love to go hunting with him (that’s WITH him, not BY him).

5. Backup Day

Good thing I always keep backup bacon in the freezer in case we run out.  That would be a disaster!  And always be sure to TEST your back-ups.  We did have a disaster a few years ago.

“Oh no!  we lost our file share!”

“Don’t worry, we have a backup.”

“Whew!”

“Oh crap.  There’s some corrupted sections in the backup . . .”

We  were able to get all but a couple of hundred archived PDFs restored.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Alternatively, if you can't remember that far back, tell us what your breakfast go-to is now.

We rarely had cereal when I was a kid, it was eggs and toast most of the time. Today, I keep oatmeal in one of my desk drawers for when I don't have time to have something before work.
    _____

2. Shamrock Day

I like trees. Here, in the western desert of the US, they offer great shade, giving relief from the hot sun in summer.

_____

3. Day of Happiness

I can find happiness in almost anything. The biggest factor for being happy in my life is just the simple pleasure of spending time with my wife. The weekend after Valentine's day we took a small road trip. Nothing fancy, just spent time together seeing some of the sites the state we live in has to offer. Anyone who says the desert is barren and ugly just doesn't know how to look at it!

_____

Related Task: tell us something you would love to do with SpiceRex for his birthday. Hang Gliding? Trip to the Moon? Bobbing for Apples? Bonus points if you include a pic of you two having fun together. :)

I'd take SpiceRex for a trip somewhere he hasn't been. 12 is one of those ages where people start appreciating things in ways they never have before.

_____

5. Backup Day

Related Task: tell us a time when a backup has saved your bacon (figuratively... or literally, if your bacon was in danger).

Back in the days of the 386 and Windows 3.11 for workgroups, I was writing a paper for a college class. My entire grade for the class was dependent on that paper. I was 2 weeks away from the due date when my HDD crashed. "No problem," I thought, "I'll replace the drive, install DOS and my backup software, then restore everything from my tapes. They should be OK, This is the first use of each one  and I just bought them 3 weeks ago." 

Everything went to plan, until the folder (directory) the paper was actually stored in was being restored. The latest tape (only 3 days old and one use) was good for everything except that one folder. I put in the tape from the week before, and all but 5 files were restored. My paper was , of course, one of those 5. In went the tape from 2 weeks earlier, and everything but that paper was restored. 

Even then, I wasn't panicking just yet. I had the last 5 day's revisions saved on 5 floppy discs. As my luck continued while I worked my way back further and further, only the oldest disc ended up without bad sectors. Fortunately, I was to the point that I was printing my paper every day with that day's revisions and proofreading the next day, so I only had to read that while editing the 5 day old file. I could have re-typed the whole thing if necessary, but I was sure glad I didn't have to - it was 35 pages. 

This was my first foray into the delightfully unreliable world of restoring from tape. Even though the tapes were less than a month old, had only been written to once, and had been verified good by the backup software, they still failed me when it mattered. Of course, today we have more reliable media, but the lesson remains the same: multiple backups, in multiple locations, on multiple media for anything important!

Spice (5) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Kid favorites: Honeycomb and Sugar Crisp

What we usually got was Rice Crispies or Special K

_____

2. Shamrock Day

Favorite green item would have to be limes, so tangy, so versatile, so essential to a great curry.

_____

3. Day of Happiness

Just came in the mail today. Sure a couple years out of date but it was a great deal from my favorite hat shop.

_____

I think taking SpiceRex to rampage downtown Vancouver would be legendary.

_____

5. Backup Day

If you nose into a parking spot, you have to backup, that is what makes it so important. Or did I miss something about this day? 

Spice (5) flagReport
  • 1. More often than not, the chocolate caramel or marshmallow squares bars.

2. Favourite green things? Bulbasaur and Cacti!

3. When I helped my partner get a new job twice (so far). Third time coming up soon hopefully!

4. Favourite thing to do with friends? Play D&D 5E, either me as DM or one of them. It's the most fun I've ever had playing anything!

5. When ransomware failed to hit our backups we thankfully managed to recover most things. It could have been worse, but there is of course fallout from the damage. Thankfully, back up pretty quickly and the fallout wasn't too bad to deal with (IMO!).

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Spicy Joseph wrote:

4. Favourite thing to do with friends? Play D&D 5E, either me as DM or one of them. It's the most fun I've ever had playing anything!

I usually play Pathfinder, but I did recently get into a group that plays 5E regularly, and I agree... fun. :)  I wonder what SpiceRex would play as in D&D?  Maybe a barbarian? :)

Spice (1) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Alternatively, if you can't remember that far back, tell us what your breakfast go-to is now.

Bacon and egg sandwich on a weekend, that's always a good shout. 

_____

2. Shamrock Day

My old car radio had one of these RGB colour shift patterns on the volume knob. One day, it broke and got stuck on green. Ever since then, I've just set car radios to green. Seems to compliment the interior. 

_____

3. Day of Happiness

I've just got FTTP at home, taking my speeds from 68mb to 450mb. Same cost. 

_____

I'd like to throw him at some of our staff, perhaps then they'd stop being not nice.

Jokes aside, I feel like recording his rawr for a funny voicemail message could be a laugh. 

_____

5. Backup Day

Previous manager 'pressed the wrong button' on a hyper-v instance and (I still don't know how) deleted the freshly-built print server (used PaperCut MF), which had gone live THAT DAY. Thankfully, I had setup the backup schedule for it that morning. 40 mins later, back up and no one even noticed. Oh, and the night spent recovering a file share that was overwritten accidentally. Again, before anyone noticed. Cheers for saving me Veeam. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day
    My go to as a kid was Raisin bran or Shreddies.

_____
    2. Shamrock Day
    I love heading out on a hike in a lush green forest.

_____
    3. Day of Happiness
    My wife and I just celebrated our 15th anniversary last week.

_____
    My Son received his own SpiceRex plush after attending a SpiceCorps meeting with me. His SpiceRex has been camping and is well traveled. Although now that my son is in his teenage years, they tend to hang out together in my son's room.

_____
    5. Backup Day
    It literally happened this morning. I changed the password on an account that was named similarly to the one I wanted to change. Luckily I had a backup of the password and I was able to quickly recover.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

I was a fan of Coco Pops when I was kid , as it was a treat as grew up poor. My favourite go to breakfast is an omelette and that was , apart from tea, for the first thing I learnt to make.

2. Shamrock Day

My TVR Chimaera which happens to be green.

3. Day of Happiness

Sparking a smile on someone's face, that's classified !

Happy Birthday SpiceRex , this is your last one before you become a troublesome teenager!! I guess this will the last time you have a kids party at the bowling alley?

5. Backup Day

I have a few back stories , but one of my best was doing a bare metal DR test at IBM's site. We had recently upgraded our TSM tape library and had done some successful restores from it. When we did the DR test we could n't get any data back , which confused myself and the IBM tech until we realised that where we had moved to LTO 3 we had to turn on a switch in TSM as it only read the first three numbers of the tape barcode.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Related Task: My parents used to mix rice and soup from the night before. Sometimes my dad would make youtiao (fried dough) and warm soy milk. That’s some good stuff.
    _____

2. Shamrock Day

Alternatively: I have deuteranopia, so greens and reds are a bit meh. I’m a big fan of pastels. Probably because they seem so calming to me.

_____

3. Day of Happiness

Related Task: My wife and I get into spurts of MTG. An interesting new set recently came out and we totally forgot how fun it was to just sit down and do a booster draft with some friends. No idea why, but we were just in an extremely good mood among friends, expensive cardstock and equally expensive plastic sleeves.
    _____

Related Task: POV – SpiceRex carrying me in Elden Ring:

_____

5. Backup Day

Related Task: I was looking for something pertaining to an important case some coworkers were working on. No idea what was going through my feeble mind, but I just unplugged an external drive full of evidence. Plugged it back in later and nothing.

Thank goodness I made an exact copy of the contents for another coworker. I’m one of the few people that still “safely” eject my USB drives when it’s something of importance.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day
    Lucky Charms was my favorite as a kid and can chocolate Malt-O-Meal be called cereal?
    2. Shamrock Day
    There is a local 5K that I have done previous to the pandemic. It's fast approaching but I can't grow my beard like this! I do like to color it green. 

3. Day of Happiness
    I recently did an in-person 5K that made me happy. First one since Jan/Feb 2020.
    Let's hit Vegas!
    5. Backup Day
    Personally speaking I thought I was formatting a thumb drive but in reality I was formatting my 500 GB backup external drive. Nope didn't have that backed up! I lost some stuff :(

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 10 years ago one of my attorney's dropped and shattered his phone.  Had all of his first kids 18 months of photos on it not backed up.  Spent about $900 for data recovery. Fast forward to last week, his ancient Note will no longer charge, repair can't help.  Now it's the last 3 years of photos on a phone that has no ability to turn on, and he never backed up.  

I'm personally shocked that photos are not backed up. Different services provide this as a seamless thing in the background of your phone. I don't take a lot of pictures but I still have them automatically backed up to my Dropbox.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

The cereal I usually had growing up was Raisin Bran but my paternal Grandma would get us peanut butter Capt. Crunch when we would visit.  I don't usually eat cereal any more but I still get a box of that once in a while in memory.   

2. Shamrock Day

Christmas trees, my cat's eyes, first hints of spring in the flower garden

3. Day of Happiness

I actually had a lazy Saturday morning for once and spent time with a good book and my cats. 

4. SpiceRex's birthday

Not sure what I'd do with him, but I know what I'd get him for a present.  One of those long grabber things to help offset the short arms.

5.  Backup Day

I've been in IT a long time now so there have been a few times backups have saved us at work.  Two of the more memorable were after the building got hit by lightning and the magic smoke got let out of the domain controller and after the "we've done this for many years without a problem" attempt to purge old customer records from the database somehow got flipped and started purging all but the old customer records.  As far as saving my personal bacon, that would be when I had to restore my laptop after a Windows update went horribly wrong. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • 1. Favorite breakfast cereal - the ones that I remember, because I didn't get them often, were Froot Loops and Cap'n Crunch.  

2. Tell us about some green things that you like.  I love the earthy spice flavor of arugula.

3. Something that made you happy recently.  I saw snow recently and it made me happy.  

4. SpiceRex's 12th Birthday!  I haven't met SpiceRex yet so anything wild would be great.

5. Backup Day - We had an computer that was getting old.  Our nieces were using it frequently and I told them to listen to the noise coming from the computer.  After I explained that the HDD was failing, I asked them to limit their time on the computer to stretch out the life of it as we didn't have another computer.  They didn't slow up and one day it would not boot up.  Shortly after that, they decided to move away for some reason.  

Spice (2) flagReport
  • DailyLlama wrote:

I don't do cereal, I have porridge. When I did do cereal I'd flip between Frosties and Weetabix. Sometimes both. Shreddies were good too.

Well, actually, ... porridge IS a cereal.  And therefore ...

If cereal for breakfast started in the USA in the 1800s, then they were "late to the party", the Scots (or their forebears) have had porridge (a cereal preparation often consumed for breakfast) for at least 2,500 years. (Ref. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porridge)

And yes, porridge is one of my breakfast favs, too!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Oh, I thought of another one!  Quaker® Oatmeal Squares Brown Sugar.   :-P

David K (Spiceworks) wrote:

I really like cereal

Spice (1) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

I ate all kinds of cereal when I was kid but didn't have a favorite. Now it's Wheaties with a sliced banana.

2. Shamrock Day

Zen Frog is one of my favorite green things (seen here at Topsail Beach, NC). Also, pesto.

3. Day of Happiness

I visited my daughter who is a freshman at Applachian State and we were able pal around together. 

I would take SpiceRex with me to one of my son's high school football games. My son's highlights from his sophomore season: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13692739/615677fc2347ef0bec89b663

5. Backup Day

Don't really have a good backup story though I've always backed stuff up. A long time ago we did a Thanks Backup video though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-0CYj5JnNM 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Tell us what your breakfast go-to was when you were a kid.:   Kix

Tell us what your breakfast go-to is now.: Piece of toast with marmite on it.

2. Shamrock Day

Tell us about some green things that you like.: Nature in general. Love being outdoors and we're about to get out of this drab winter

3. Day of Happiness

Tell us something that made you happy recently.: My little guy turned 6 which is pretty awesome.

Tell us something you would love to do with SpiceRex for his birthday.: Can you take a t-rex to the dogpark? No? Fine chuck e cheese it is.

5. Backup Day

Tell us a time when a backup has saved your bacon (figuratively... or literally, if your bacon was in danger). I had an engineer accidently format a qnap server looking terabytes of video.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

hmm, I don't remember.... Breakfast is now usually just coffee. If I'm at home, I may make a breakfast sandwich to go with, like a McD Egg Mcmuffin, but I make it myself. 

2. Shamrock Day

Shamrock day... a great excuse to wear green, but hopefully not to BE green, since as Kermit has oft reminded us, that is not easy.

Alternatively, tell us about a different favorite color and why you like it.

I like gardening, so green leaves on plants? lol Green is not a color I can wear, so I don't like it very much. But I do like green, leafy, healthy plants (like basil, thyme, rosemary, geraniums, mints, etc)

3. Day of Happiness

I like the idea of having a day of happiness, although of course not just the one day... more an excuse to celebrate the happy times. :) This holiday was started by the United Nations and a nonprofit group called Action for Happiness, and the idea is to remind us that progress isn't just about economics, but also about happiness. Read more HERE.

Alternatively, tell us a a time you remember sparking a smile on someone else's face.

My daughter usually makes me happy. We'll play after she's done with her homework. Make silly jokes, snuggle. Nothing special, but just a happy relaxing time. 

The 27th is our pal SpiceRex's 12th birthday. And the community just turned 14 last month. Everyone is growing up so fast. :)

Alternatively, If you don't celebrate SpiceRex's birthday, or you just can't think of a thing you could get a 12 year old dinosaur, tell us something you enjoy doing with your mostly-human friends.

Oh my. A pre-teen dinosaur? Happy Birthday SpiceRex! Oh, this game looks like fun Taco Vs Burrito

5. Backup Day

Backup Day is celebrated on March 31, which is a Thursday this year. IT folks don't need to be preached to about the importance of backups, but often other people need it a lot. HERE is a great site to share with them... get them to take the pledge. :)

Alternatively, you could tell us a horror story about a time when there was no backup.

In the early days of ransomware, we got a small, incomplete case. It didn't finish encrypting everything, and we didn't get a ransom message. Our staff pulled the ethernet cable fast. But what was encrypted needed to be deleted and restored via backup. It was only about a gig's worth of data. It was a small department (yay file permissions). And it was the day before Thanksgiving, so they only had to recreate a few files. Then we had Thanksgiving potluck at that office. I don't remember if there was bacon involved, but there was pork, as well as turkey. 
    Spice (3) flagReport
  • Bacon sandwich.  The cereal is in the bread.  And the bacon is proper British style (low fat) bacon too - home cured.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day - tell us what your breakfast go-to was when you were a kid: Lucky Charms!

_____

2. Shamrock Day - tell us about some green things that you like: trees, leaves, grass, plants, nature stuff.

_____

3. Day of Happiness - tell us something that made you happy recently: finally getting back into exercising (after a very long time of avoiding it, feels good!)

_____

4. SpiceRex's 12th Birthday! - tell us something you would love to do with SpiceRex for his birthday. Hang Gliding? Trip to the Moon? Bobbing for Apples? Bonus points if you include a pic of you two having fun together. :)

I don't know SpiceRex very well, but everybody loves cash, right?

_____

5. Backup Day - tell us a time when a backup has saved your bacon (figuratively... or literally, if your bacon was in danger): there's been a few times end users, or myself, have accidentally deleted entire folders from shared drives... thank goodness for backups!

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

Clusters were always good.

_____

2. Shamrock Day

I like everything green, as it is my favorite color. And believe it or not, I have a green shirt on at this moment.

_____

3. Day of Happiness

Celebrating my birthday with most of my family over the weekend definitely made me happy.

_____

Run around chasing terrified people sounds like fun!

_____

5. Backup Day

I worked for a small hospital and the CEO of like 40 some years was retiring and looking for his replacement. For some unknow reason he had full access to the complete shared drive. He opened a resume.txt and ended up locking the entire share. The other network admin and I spent something like 27 straight hours restoring the share.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Here's a fun video for World Backup Day.

And how relevant of you to include the best cereal in the world, Cinnamon Toast Crunch!!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • 1. Cereal Day

I did love Lucky Charms, when my Mom would buy it which was not often.

I loved Grapenuts, warmed up with some hot water and a pat of butter and honey.

2. Shamrock Day

Money is pretty good, but I can’t wait for spring to get back out in nature and see all of the greenery. Lots of green in the garden this year – I’ll be making Fried Green Tomatoes and pickled okra.

3. Day of Happiness

My five month old granddaughter was “talking” to me cooing and gurgling. Ahhh – this puts a smile on my face.

Related Task: tell us something you would love to do with SpiceRex for his birthday.
    Me and SpiceRex are hitting the town! Nice dinner and maybe a Porto and a cigar afterward. SpiceRex has some class!

5. Backup Day

Related Task: tell us a time when a backup has saved your bacon.

There are many small occasions but it did save the day. One incident when an employee left, we found that they had deleted data from the network a few days prior to departure. Backup made quick work of it. Also in the event of an accident, a user deleted a ton of data. We were able to pull it back very quickly.

Spice (2) flagReport

Read these next...

• Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Snap! WebView2-Cookie-Stealer, lost USB drive, tech jobs, Atari turns 50, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Way back on this day in 1995, Spyglass went public. Not sure who they were? Spyglass was founded by students at the Illinois Supercomputing Center, which also inspired Netscape Communications Corp, and they (...

• Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Do you ever interact with your co-workers/team in person?

Spiceworks

June 30th is work from home day and in this new age of working from home, many people only interact with their coworkers in virtual ways, particularly if they assumed their role mid-pandemic.  In fact, bizarre as it may seem, some people have never met th...

• Burning the employment bridge

Burning the employment bridge

IT & Tech Careers

Today is my last day at my current job. The company interviewed several candidates and picked the best one they could find. I had no input in this process. Not a big deal. The new guy started yesterday, and we walked through the 4 properties I manage, and...

• Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Help troubleshooting Edge RAM usage

Windows

Hi, I have a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Version 1607 build 14393.5192 server as a Hyper-V guest OS running remote desktop services that a few users access from home to access local services while off site.I am currently having an issue where Edge is u...

• Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 27th June 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Welcome to another new week. Here is another bundle of fun stuff to get your week off to a good start. Remember to click that Spice button!   Today in History: 27th June 2017 – NotPetya Malware knocks out syst...