Home
Join

13 Replies

• It depends if the serial numbers are part of the mobo or self-generated numbers etc...

Use software like PDQ inventory to get the machine's inventory. 

Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • are there any free tools are scripts to run to get the serial no of the laptops form ad.

• Wmic bios get serialnumber

May be this is useful to you
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0c473196-afd0-43ec-b812-db54d62c2b16/serial-number-attribute-of-computer-object?forum=winserverDS

Spice (3) flagReport
  • What everybody is saying is that the Serial Number is not a normal value stored in Active Directory. If you have some script putting those values into Active Directory, that wil be your source reference. You can use Active Directory as a reference to all of your computer names and then pull that information from each of the machines.

• Goverlan tools can reach out to the BIOS on Lenovo and Dell computers and pull serial numbers and service tags for inventory purposes. Not a free application but very reasonably priced.

• PDQ inventory free can do this.  You can then export them to a CSV.  Basically install PDQ Inventory, import your computers from AD and scan them.  You can then create a report that includes the fields you want.

https://www.pdq.com/pdq-inventory/

• zain2425 wrote:

are there any free tools are scripts to run to get the serial no of the laptops form ad.

What make & models are these machines ?

The info is not in Domain Controllers

• all are windos 10 machines , domain is 2016 but i need the  info exported to excel or csv as we are having around 300 machines 

• zain2425 wrote:

all are windos 10 machines , domain is 2016 but i need the  info exported to excel or csv as we are having around 300 machines 

Bro...make & model as in Brand and model ?? The information is not on Domain Controller but on mobo of the PCs (if any).

• To get the serial number of your computer open Windows PowerShell and run

wmic bios get serialnumber

Or use Get-WmiObject.

Get-WmiObject win32_bios | Select Serialnumber

Check this article, please https://sid-500.com/2018/05/14/get-serial-numbers-of-all-domain-computers-by-using-windows-powershel...

• How to run on active directory to get for all computers. can you send me the script 

• zain2425 wrote:

How to run on active directory to get for all computers.

You have been old already 3 times that this data is not in Active Directory as long as you don't extent Active Directory and import that data into Active Directory. You've been told already 6 times about several available alternatives to get such info, allowing you to create your desired report in desired format.

zain2425 wrote:

i need the  info exported to excel or csv as we are having around 300 machines 

• So what prevented you to create such a CSV file using any of the proposed alternatives to get such a list of serial numbers?
    • What prevented you to install Excel if a CSV file is no longer considered sufficient for you?
    • So what prevented you to create such a script for such CSV file creation if the manual processing is no longer sufficient?
    • What prevented you in importing your desired information into Active Directory after you learned that it is not there and where to get it?
    • What's the domain of your professional IT expertise?
    You reported that all you machines are running either Windows 10 or 2016. But you did not report if any of these machines has Excel installed. And Excel is not needed if you just need a corresponding CSV file. The Spiceworks community guidelines reminded you that we're a global community of IT professionals for IT professionals with a focus on SME. So if scripting is not needed nor part of your professional IT expertise, then you may ask your intern to write such a script when providing him the answers of this topic. We're not a script writing service. And please don't forget to read the  recommendations of our field guides, especially those on getting started and on posting good questions, including the helpful references found at the bottom of its web page. The latter would have reminded you which kind of context might have been helpful right in the original post. And disclosing your still undisclosed constraints preventing you in applying the proposed solutions would be helpful too.
  • zain2425 wrote:

How to run on active directory to get for all computers. can you send me the script 

Powershell
    # Requires ActiveRoles CmdLets from Quest Software (They're free and awesome) - http://www.quest.com/powershell/activeroles-server.aspx
    Get-QADComputer -searchroot "OU=yourcomputerOUname,dc=yourdomain,dc=com" -SizeLimit 0 |
    ForEach-Object {
      $hostname = $_.name
      $serialnumber = (Get-WMIObject Win32_BIOS -computer $hostname -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue).SerialNumber
      if (-not $serialnumber) {
        Add-Content d:\logfiles\offlinehosts.txt "$hostname is in offline"
      }
      else {
      Write-Host "$hostname,$serialnumber" # output to screen 
      Add-Content d:\logfiles\serialnumberlist.txt "$hostname,$serialnumber"
      }
    }

I think you can use this script https://gist.github.com/discoposse/492475

Also, have a look at this similar discussion https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2256083-serial-number-of-a-device

Read these next...

• Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Monday, everyone! It is also World Turtle Day. At first, I thought it was a day for the Great A'Tuin, a World Turtle from the Discworld series, but we have a few days until the Glorious 25th of May...

• Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Happy Monday!  Welcome to the Monday Spark!  Grab a cup of Coffee and read on! To start things off… A Monday Quotes Top 10. 1. Monday should be optional. 2. Good morning. Keep calm and pretend it’s not Monda...

• Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Windows

Hi Folks,              The Company I work for has just sold off its sales operation. As part of the sale, several laptop & desktop computers that were used in the sales department will be taken to the new companyMy Director has asked me to effectively pre...

• IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

Hardware

Hello,I have:1- 150 HIKVISION IP camera 4MP 2- 5*32-CH HIKVISION NVR I want to display a live view of the 150 camera on a video wall.What is the additional required devices should I have?I think I just need a video wall controller and a high performance p...

• What do you geek out about?

What do you geek out about?

Spiceworks

In honor of Geek Pride day on May 25th, we want to know about your unique hobbies and interests and all the things you could spend hours talking about.Are you a huge comic book fan?  Do you love creating megastructures out of LEGO bricks?  Are you int...