Home
Join

12 Replies

• Depending on the purpose of the server yes we do.

Our Files servers and Domain controllers have it loaded on them,

Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Great point!

#IamIntel

• To be compliant with certain standards it's a requirement. So yes.

The hardest part and reason why many people do not, is configuration - they want an out of the box install and forget setup and that wont work because each company and policy is different.

Like spam filters, AV needs to be tuned.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Depending on the purpose of each server, I would either install and configure Linux or Windows with AV. Configuration of AV would be different of client computers in case of Windows. And I would activate auto-update if supported, especially if servers will have Internet access. It's an opportunity to use different AV product and brand for server than for clients if in a medium to large organization.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Or a whitelist anti exe software after everything's been installed.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • We need to adhere to certain compliance requirements and hence we configure using a template and install AV on our servers.

• Yes, no auto updates

But harden your firewall first.  Also consider if you have an Intel server using vPro.  They have made huge strides in threat protection.  Putting zero trust at the server hardware level increases your safety dramatically.  

here is a good link about it if you are not familiar.  

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/solution-briefs/vpro-platform-proactive...

• we push AV based on AD OU so the servers get the right server AV templates. 

Update policy is based on what the server does.

Automation is the key to me sleeping at night  = ) 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • All of our Windows servers get AV. Since this is an Intel page, I hear a lot about vPro. What can it do to enhance protection?

• Hairbear21​ is there any chance you would be able to share some your information on Intel vPro? 

Performance, Manageability, Security, Stability are the areas that Intel vPro provides benefits. The Intel vPro platform uses hardware based tools that perform regardless of the condition of the OS. 

#IamIntel
  • I will always get some form of antivirus.  Even if it is Linux, I want some form of antivirus.

Jack (Intel) wrote:

Hairbear21​ is there any chance you would be able to share some your information on Intel vPro? 

Performance, Manageability, Security, Stability are the areas that Intel vPro provides benefits. The Intel vPro platform uses hardware based tools that perform regardless of the condition of the OS. 

#IamIntel

Are there any VPro enabled servers that bring the security aspect to the server realm?

• jimender2 wrote:

Are there any VPro enabled servers that bring the security aspect to the server realm?

I don't have such servers. But I know they exist. HPE has such servers and I'm almost sure that other major vendors have them too.

Read these next...