Home
Join

14 Replies

• Lansweeper may be a good option for you, free up to a point as far as I remember

Spiceworks network monitor may also work, but i've never used it

Spice (2) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • PDQ Inventory should do the job nicely.

Spice (2) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • depending on what info you want, a lot can be pulled from AD via powershell.  For example to get a list of all computer accounts and their OS you can use:
    Powershell
    get-adcomputer -filter * -properties operatingsystem,Name | Select-Object Operatingsystem,name |Sort-Object Operatingsystem

the get-adcomputer does require running from a system with RSAT installed (or a DC)
    Spice (1) flagReport
  • Spiceworks free version has a limited amount of PC's that you can scan with their free version. I believe it's 50 or 100. Might be even less. But it is a powerful tool. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • It looks you need an Assess management tool. In case you want to audit what is happening in your AD then you can check Lepide Active Directory auditor.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Thanks for your suggestions i'll check those tools.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Kenny8416 Does  Lansweeper gives also information on latest Microsoft kb applied? 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I believe so, yes, it's been a few years since I used it (previous job), so can't check unfortuantely.

It will definitely list which KB's are installed, I think there is probably a report of machines that don't meet the latest, but can't be 100% sure.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • manulinx wrote:

Kenny8416 Does  Lansweeper gives also information on latest Microsoft kb applied? 

like what version of Windows is on it? It shows which build and which version it's on. 

Current LS user. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • ManageEngine ADAudit Plus would be a good choice.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • There are a few options depending on how deep you want to go with the auditing, and whether you want to see things like a logon history for users logging on to the workstations.

A plain "AD Audit" product may not be sufficient, since those will just focus on monitoring the actual AD itself, not servers, workstations etc. Regular log monitoring solutions won't tell you anything about installed software and patches.

Scripts may be able to do the trick, if you are looking for something very specific and don't mind running that on a schedule and have a way good way to sift through the info the script returns. 

And, finally, inventory products won't actually monitor your AD, although they will excel with things like software inventory, patches etc.

Maybe take a look at EventSentry which has a pretty comprehensive feature set for these types of things. It monitors servers and workstations for both security & performance, but also has an AD monitoring component. It also tells you the latest build a workstation is on, along with a list of installed patches. It also has a feature where it flags computers that are not on the latest build/patch release by Microsoft. Oh, regarding user accounts, with its AD component you can see a list of all users in a domain, but I don't think you can see that for member servers and workstations (although you can see almost anything else, not sure why that's not included?). However, Windows audits just about anything, so you would be able to see if a user is added or removed.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • EminentX wrote:

ManageEngine ADAudit Plus would be a good choice.

you might want to let the dust settle a bit more before looking into ManageEngine. They have had a number of high and critical CVE over the past few months and are actively being targeted https://www.zdnet.com/article/fbi-warning-hackers-are-targeting-this-flaw-in-zoho-manageengine-servi...

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I think ManageEngine and SolarWinds have these types of tools. Check the link below please:
    https://www.solarwinds.com/es/access-rights-manager/use-cases/active-directory-auditing-tool

https://www.manageengine.com/products/active-directory-audit/windows-active-directory-workstations-a...

0 of 1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Depending on your requirements you can try either Netwrix Auditor or StealthAUDIT for Active Directory.

Speaking of Netwrix Auditor - it has a 20-day free trial that allows you to get familiar with the system functionality and collect all the data you need to get started. ;)

0 of 1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down

Read these next...

• Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Monday, everyone! It is also World Turtle Day. At first, I thought it was a day for the Great A'Tuin, a World Turtle from the Discworld series, but we have a few days until the Glorious 25th of May...

• Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Happy Monday!  Welcome to the Monday Spark!  Grab a cup of Coffee and read on! To start things off… A Monday Quotes Top 10. 1. Monday should be optional. 2. Good morning. Keep calm and pretend it’s not Monda...

• Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Windows

Hi Folks,              The Company I work for has just sold off its sales operation. As part of the sale, several laptop & desktop computers that were used in the sales department will be taken to the new companyMy Director has asked me to effectively pre...

• IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

Hardware

Hello,I have:1- 150 HIKVISION IP camera 4MP 2- 5*32-CH HIKVISION NVR I want to display a live view of the 150 camera on a video wall.What is the additional required devices should I have?I think I just need a video wall controller and a high performance p...

• What do you geek out about?

What do you geek out about?

Spiceworks

In honor of Geek Pride day on May 25th, we want to know about your unique hobbies and interests and all the things you could spend hours talking about.Are you a huge comic book fan?  Do you love creating megastructures out of LEGO bricks?  Are you int...